Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
i dont understand why this thread was even made. OP isn't a ducks fan, op doesn't even have a player in mind; op has no actual reasoning for why the Ducks would even entertain trading Zegras.

He's not getting traded.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If the relationship with mngmt is repaired, then I doubt he gets moved... But if either side is still sitting where they were last summer, I bet we'll see him traded for a return reflective of his age/body of work rather than reflective of the difficult season he just had.

Habs (need and familiarity with the player/person) would likely be an aggressive bidder... Don't see a 1:1 fit, but if a package gets it done, the starting point is likely a non lottery 1st, decent prospect/young player & another asset in the 2nd-3rd pick range of value
there's nothing to be repaired. where do these baseless rumors even come from? the management loves him and expects a lot out of him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As a Zona fan I wouldn't do Keller. Nothing against Z but Keller means far too much to the Salt Lake City Cockroaches. Imo if I'm a ducks fan and that deal is offered, you take that deal and run.

That said I haven't watched too many Ducks games this year (other than when relevant to my fantasy team), if Z has become a legitimate 3-zone / 200 foot player, hold on to him. You can't teach that high-end skill, if he can learn maturity and a 200 ft game (both of which are very possible), you have a legitimitate star / superstar on your hands to complement the other stars / superstars on your team.

All that to say that, as a neutral, I think Anaheim has a legitimately skilled core to build around. Including Dostal, people don't talk about him enough. Not the worst idea to see what happens here over the next 3-6 years
Hes def improved on the defense side, and neutral zone play.

I like keller, but i think zegras ends up better than Keller when its said and done.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I agree in a vacuum, he's probably not worth a top 5 pick most years. But part of it is situation. Ducks have one of those top 5 picks and should be nearing the end of the rebuild. Last year, he for sure wasn't worth a top 5 pick, this year I don't know if I'm that confident in the draft to move him for one. Especially with most/all of those players needing minimum of a year before coming to the NHL and most having big question marks (like Zegras did in his draft year).

Also, if you look at the last 10 years, I don't think you find 1/3 of top 5 picks being in the Makar/Q. Hughes/Pettersson level... Only about 30% of top 10 picks end up being better then Zegras (at the same age). After the #1 pick, it's usually a crap shoot.
Obviously we’re discussing pure value here and we aren’t taking into account team needs and projected window.

Same applies for Caufield. He probably isn’t worth a top 5 pick but I wouldn’t trade him for a top 5 pick because of where Montreal is/heading.

Most of HFboards scenarios are a *if* X player (in this case Zegras) wants out or the team want to move on from him for X or Y reason, what his value would be. I’m guessing realistically, somewhere between pick #7 & pick #10

Reactions: byrath

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hes def improved on the defense side, and neutral zone play.

I like keller, but i think zegras ends up better than Keller when its said and done.

I don't disagree, though I haven't really seen Zegras enough this year to really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Keller I think will end up around a point a game player most years with one or two career years of 90-100 points or so, to go along with good but not elite two-way play -- Keller's developed some grease the past couple of years which he didn't have when he first entered the league. BUT, he's not even close to a Marner or Mark Stone in terms of a 200 foot game. I might end up being wrong about Keller's upside but that's what I think.

You and I have discussed Z before in the main boards, you know last year I wasn't a fan of his character especially after that Beagle nonsense. BUT, he's young and clearly you can develop discipline and character as time goes on, too many examples to count. Anyway if he's improved, you clearly have a foundational piece to build around.

Regardless of what anyone says, I think it's inarguable he has true top end skill, those types of players are impossible to find.

Would love if we're able to meet in the WCF finals one of these years, I think both our teams have very good cores. Time will tell I suppose but imo both of our futures look bright

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't disagree, though I haven't really seen Zegras enough this year to really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Keller I think will end up around a point a game player most years with one or two career years of 90-100 points or so, to go along with good but not elite two-way play -- Keller's developed some grease the past couple of years which he didn't have when he first entered the league but he's not even close to a Marner or Mark Stone in terms of a 200 foot game. I might end up being wrong about Keller's upside but that's what I think.

You and I have discussed Z before in the main boards, you know last year I wasn't a fan of his character especially after that Beagle nonsense. BUT, he's young and clearly you can develop that as time goes on, too many examples to count. Anyway if he's improved, you have a foundational piece to build around.

Regardless of what anyone says, I think it's inarguable he has true top end skill, those types of players are impossible to find.

Would love if we're able to meet in the WCF finals one of these years, I think both our teams have very good cores. Time will tell I suppose but imo both of our futures look bright
Oh zegras def has some maturity issues... that most of us are hoping will age out soon... hes at least taken steps in the right direction in terms of that (still has those moments), but he takes accountability for his action.

Shoot ill take any playoff matchup, but WCF would be awesome... feels like so long since playoffs was even in the conversation for Anaheim, but im hoping this offseason is a big one for Anaheim and we start trending back up in the right direction.

I think thats pretty fair for keller, specially with how stars are scoring in todays game. Were going to have 10 players over 100 points this season and 4 maybe 5 dmen over 82 points. Its a good time to score points for players like keller/zegras and similar talented players league wide.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
For some reason, I have a feeling he'll end up in Detroit... not sure what the outgoing assets would be though

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I dont think there was that much friction.... i think PV was putting a line with RFA contract negotiations.... zegras and drysdale were his first 2 high profile RFAs.
1 of which was traded a few months later...

There was lots of smoke around the negotiations last summer, and most reports pointed to lots of friction in getting the deal done.

Ultimately the Ducks made it clear they weren't ready to commit to the player/person long term. It's business, and, it's human beings...most of whom have large egos. To think there were no hurt feelings is a far bigger reach imo. Wether or not it's water under the bridge is another question all together. Generally, players have much longer memories than fans tend to appreciate.

• Haha
Reactions: dracom and LuGBuG

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I only do the trade of Zeagrass to Motoroil Canada for Cole Suzuki, Dale Weise and Martin St.Louis Blues + a 1st round pick

• Haha
Reactions: LuGBuG

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Oh zegras def has some maturity issues... that most of us are hoping will age out soon... hes at least taken steps in the right direction in terms of that (still has those moments), but he takes accountability for his action.

Shoot ill take any playoff matchup, but WCF would be awesome... feels like so long since playoffs was even in the conversation for Anaheim, but im hoping this offseason is a big one for Anaheim and we start trending back up in the right direction.

I think thats pretty fair for keller, specially with how stars are scoring in todays game. Were going to have 10 players over 100 points this season and 4 maybe 5 dmen over 82 points. Its a good time to score points for players like keller/zegras and similar talented players league wide.

Agree. With Keller it's more around his supporting cast, if Cooley ends up good (all signs promising but far too early to tell), then he and Keller should become one of the better top linemate pairs in the league I would think. Zegras on the other hand should be playing with Leo Carlsson or Mason McTavish (both high end guys) or if the Ducks decide to make 3 scoring lines instead, once your guys mature I don't think most teams in the league will be able to match up with you (think Vegas right now).

Anyway I like your core, the only thing maybe missing is some top end D, but as far as I can tell Mintyukov's been good and Zellweger's easily one of the top 5 or so D prospects in the league (imo that's conservative, that guy's already an AHL all-star and he's what, 20 years old?). Given that, from my perspective if Dostal hits I'm not sure your team has any big holes, at least not from a roster construction standpoint.

Anyway my guess it'll be a few years until you make the playoffs, but once you get there I think you'll be there to stay. Depends on your young guys but it's a really strong core imo. Hope to see you in the playoffs sooner rather than later, a WCF series would be fun

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montréal 2025 1st Unprotected
Calgary 2025 1st
Owen Beck

for

Trevor Zegras

+ could be added on either side to make it work

Flame away
Montreal will finish bottom 8 this season.

They are not in the business of trading unprotected 1st EVER, even less for a pick in a year.

Imagine an injury to Nick Suzuki in October next year? Or Matheson? That is a lottery pick +++ you are trading then.

Reactions: viceroy

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montreal will finish bottom 8 this season.

They are not in the business of trading unprotected 1st EVER, even less for a pick in a year.

Imagine an injury to Nick Suzuki in October next year? Or Matheson? That is a lottery pick +++ you are trading then.

We obviously keep the 2024

We trade 2025
We take a best on ourselves and hope to make the playoffs, next year

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Was just talking to a hockey buddy about this....wouldnt be shocked if Ducks flip him at the draft- some team would give up their 1st and other picks in future drafts.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Mid 1st, good prospect, meh prospect

Was just talking to a hockey buddy about this....wouldnt be shocked if Ducks flip him at the draft- some team would give up their 1st and other picks in future drafts.
How could the ducks pass up such great offers…. Maybe those picks/prospects could become half the player zegras is already. And we get to push back the rebuild even further while we wait for those pieces to develop into NHL players (if they ever do).

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What would be the logic behind the ducks wanting to trade a young established NHLer during a rebuild (should be nearing the end of it) for a bunch of magic beans?

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
1 of which was traded a few months later...

There was lots of smoke around the negotiations last summer, and most reports pointed to lots of friction in getting the deal done.

Ultimately the Ducks made it clear they weren't ready to commit to the player/person long term. It's business, and, it's human beings...most of whom have large egos. To think there were no hurt feelings is a far bigger reach imo. Wether or not it's water under the bridge is another question all together. Generally, players have much longer memories than fans tend to appreciate.
For one of the best forward prospects in the world when they had the previous year’s OHL, WHL, and Q’s d-man of the year in the pipeline.

Drysdale wasn’t moved because of the contract situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad