Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Hope you forgot a "/" there before "thread".

Of course Verbeek is gonna listen to offers if he gets them. But the premise that Zegras is being shopped is refuted.

The premise of Zegras wanting out also might as well be refuted, because in that scenario only an incompetent GM wouldn't shop around and let people know he's available for trade.

So if the Ducks aren't shopping Z, and he doesn't want out himself...what's the discussion here? How much of an overpayment it would take to get Z traded?

This is the video of the Zegras quote. Its very clear that the Ducks werent looking to trade Zegras. They just listened to see if anyone would throw a crazy offer at them.

With the exception of Carlsson (and perhaps Minty), the ducks should be listening on everyone. I'm sure they weren't shopping Drysdale. But they made a trade when Philly called with a unique deal. It would be malpractice for Verbeek to do otherwise.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
With the exception of Carlsson (and perhaps Minty), the ducks should be listening on everyone. I'm sure they weren't shopping Drysdale. But they made a trade when Philly called with a unique deal. It would be malpractice for Verbeek to do otherwise.
For sure you listen on offers - Zegras isn't the kind of player where you hang up the call immediately once his name is brought up. He's great, but not that great.

I just don't think the idea that we have to shift him (because he's a bad fit for the team) is one that has any basis in reality. Especially not for chump change and other teams' 4th best prospects.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Imagine that
A16B8F44-FAAF-4FA4-AA6B-4198162999D4.jpeg

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022

Kudos to Derek for asking and to Cronin for actually answering, but what a terrible answer. So players who aren't popular with the media don't have to own up to their foolish penalties or turnovers? That's not a good way to create the standard for the team that he claims to want to create. Stay off the media radar and you can do whatever stupid crap you want, boys!

Also feels like a bit of a departure from "Zegras wasn't benched, we just had a lot of penalties to kill," but I suppose this can be his general principle while still not admitting to a specific incident.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I see this is similar to celebrities and being role models. The more famous you are the more criticism you take. I think in this example is how visible he is makes him more likely to be criticized for his mistakes. It's absolutely a double standard but not one that we have never seen before. I do think Cronin let a little bit of his frustrations show.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't completely disagree with Cronin here. Leaders do need to be held to a higher standard. And all players should be accountable for their actions on the ice when they're detrimental to the team or the organization.

But did Zegras choose that role? Or is Cronin just thrusting it onto him because he's talented and charismatic? And how is he applying accountability for other guys who might not have the same types of outbursts but are still hurting the team in different ways?

I also don't really care for criticism without praise. If you're going to make these sorts of comments publicly, have a compliment or two ready so you can build the player back up.

This quote doesn't feel wrong to me, but it does feel off. Perhaps incomplete and insensitive.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don't completely disagree with Cronin here. Leaders do need to be held to a higher standard. And all players should be accountable for their actions on the ice when they're detrimental to the team or the organization.

But did Zegras choose that role? Or is Cronin just thrusting it onto him because he's talented and charismatic? And how is he applying accountability for other guys who might not have the same types of outbursts but are still hurting the team in different ways?

I also don't really care for criticism without praise. If you're going to make these sorts of comments publicly, have a compliment or two ready so you can build the player back up.

This quote doesn't feel wrong to me, but it does feel off. Perhaps incomplete and insensitive.
It feels to me like coaches like Cronin have a different standard for players who play the game in a way they aren’t comfortable with. If Z was a vanilla grinder I don’t think we’d see the “accountability” for things that other guys have done-with no consequences.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm interpreting it as Cronin thinks he's holding Z to a higher standard because he thinks he can achieve greatness.

I could be way off base though.
I think that’s accurate. I am fine with the theory of holding Zegras to a high standard, I just don’t like that most other players on the team can do whatever dumb stuff they want while receiving no repercussions. It comes across as Cronin just not liking the kid, even if that isn’t the truth.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s interesting how some are eager to point the finger at everyone but the players. Zegras has become the face of this team. It’s clear the brass wants that to translate into him being one of the leaders. All the younger guys who are coming after him likely look up to him as they are trying to develop their games here. He’s been in the NHL for multiple seasons now, selfish plays are not going to translate into winning nor are they a good example to set for the rest of the young core

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It’s interesting how some are eager to point the finger at everyone but the players. Zegras has become the face of this team. It’s clear the brass wants that to translate into him being one of the leaders. All the younger guys who are coming after him likely look up to him as they are trying to develop their games here. He’s been in the NHL for multiple seasons now, selfish plays are not going to translate into winning nor are they a good example to set for the rest of the young core
Yes, but are McTavish’s dumb penalties not a good example to the young core? What about Vatrano’s? Killorn’s? It appears more like trying to single a guy out rather than group accountability.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022

To me this is the biggest issue. Zegras is being held to one standard because he gets media attention and is popular with the team and therefore Cronin thinks he has to take a leadership role. Whereas guys who were literally brought in to be veteran leadership get held to a lower standard because they... weren't on a video game cover? It's very "do as I say, not as I allow your veteran role models to do".

I don't feel like there's much disagreement that Zegras needs to mature a bit, in fact quite a bit? The question is why other players aren't being held to the same standard. That's certainly not trying to absolve any player from responsibility, even Zegras. But it's fair to question whether applying a blatant double standard is the best way to go about developing that maturity.

Forcing the mantle of leadership onto him when he's clearly not ready for it, then holding him to a higher standard than the team's actual veteran leaders, can be a bad idea even if you agree he needs to shape up.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Yes, but are McTavish’s dumb penalties not a good example to the young core? What about Vatrano’s? Killorn’s? It appears more like trying to single a guy out rather than group accountability.

In this context, he was asked about Zegras. I'm certain Cronin isn't happy about the penalties from any of these players.

The team certainly needs more accountability all over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad