Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
just why take a LD when you just trade a way your LD problem only to have it come back in 2-3 years again when all these guys will have NTC z and you have Kleven in the #5-6 slot

Take Catton - closest to help right away and is a culture guy who defines a line
Our LD problem wasn’t that we had too many. It was that they didn’t play particularly well and “seeeeeemmminngggly” could not adapt to the right side. It wouldn’t be a problem if we drafter An amazing left shot d

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This team is weak in every position.
That's not true but appreciate your doom and gloom consistent contribution. Too bad you can't be remotely objective. LD and Center are not positions of weakness. RD is for sure, goaltending is the worst in the league prospects included. Wingers are average and easy to fill.

Our LD problem wasn’t that we had too many. It was that they didn’t play particularly well and “seeeeeemmminngggly” could not adapt to the right side. It wouldn’t be a problem if we drafter An amazing left shot d
The LD problem is too much of the same player. Chychrun, Chabot and Brannstrom are all the same type of player. Have some offensive ability but for one reason or another (all different for all 3 of them) they're below average defenders.

Kleven is actually a good defender. They need to make room for him.

Chychrun has to be traded due to his contract and the problem I illustrated above. Chabot to me has one more chance under finally a new D coach. But I really don't see him as a long term fit either. If the right deal came along I'd probably deal Him too.

Reactions: asw and Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's not true but appreciate your doom and gloom consistent contribution. Too bad you can't be remotely objective. LD and Center are not positions of weakness. RD is for sure, goaltending is the worst in the league prospects included. Wingers are average and easy to fill.

The LD problem is too much of the same player. Chychrun, Chabot and Brannstrom are all the same type of player. Have some offensive ability but for one reason or another (all different for all 3 of them) they're below average defenders.

Chychrun has to be traded due to his contract and the problem I illustrated above. Chabot to me has one more chance under finally a new D coach. But I really don't see him as a long term fit either. If the right deal came along I'd probably deal Him too.
Me too.

But do you agree that drafting a great LD wouldn’t be a problem?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Centre is not a position of weakness? He have Stutzle who regressed this year and can’t trust out in all situations, Norris who has a bum shoulder and isn’t a playmaker and Pinto who just got suspended half the season and hasn't played a full season yet.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Centre is not a position of weakness? He have Stutzle who regressed this year and can’t trust out in all situations, Norris who has a bum shoulder and isn’t a playmaker and Pinto who just got suspended half the season and hasn't played half a season yet.
Ya, Pinto will probably get suspended again. ;)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Giroux ageing out and Norris injury - the top 6 suddenly looks very thin. I like Catton, could be ready after his junior year and if the Sens are in a playoff push he’d be a welcome help after the deadline next year.

The LD thing to me is for the later rounds - you’ve got your LD a set for the next 7-8 years it’s probably our strongest position on the team talent and depth wise

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Giroux ageing out and Norris injury - the top 6 suddenly looks very thin. I like Catton, could be ready after his junior year and if the Sens are in a playoff push he’d be a welcome help after the deadline next year.

The LD thing to me is for the later rounds - you’ve got your LD a set for the next 7-8 years it’s probably our strongest position on the team talent and depth wise
Good points, but out of the six defensemen that we have, only two are good defenders (not passing judgement on Kleven just yet). And we only have one 1 decent RD. Not a bad idea to apply the logic you have used to all the positions, no?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah you could be right. We very well could end up with 3 firsts this year. We can mix it up a little

Not sure how ready catton is. He’s dynamic though.

And I agree we could use some forwards.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good points, but out of the six defensemen that we have, only two are good defenders (not passing judgement on Kleven just yet). And we only have one 1 decent RD. Not a bad idea to apply the logic you have used to all the positions, no?

True, and Green said he likes having 4 puck moves on D - Sandy (Chabot or Chych) Zub so we have 3 and need 1 more.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
True, and Green said he likes having 4 puck moves on D - Sandy (Chabot or Chych) Zub so we have 3 and need 1 more.
There are injuries every season. A good NHL team will have 8 good defenders, or at least capable defenders that don’t regularly get caved in. We aren’t close.

And besides being “puck movers”, they also need to be able to defend. I’m pretty sure Staois would agree with that even if it wasn’t part of what you read & quoted.

You kind of forgot (didn’t mention) or left out the need for RD in your post as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anybody care to set the over/under for number of players that will throw up on the ice as a result of Green's training camp grind? Maybe guess who the first victim is

I'll set an over under of 1.5 (I'm going with under) and saying Batherson is the first victim

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Anybody care to set the over/under for number of players that will throw up on the ice as a result of Green's training camp grind? Maybe guess who the first victim is

I'll set an over under of 1.5 (I'm going with under) and saying Batherson is the first victim
I think they all show up in shape and ready to go. Good thing after DJ is the players actually felt embarrassment at their play and not just frustration. The party is over, it’s a workplace now, it’s no longer a place for coaches, managers and players to just survive in the NHL.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Centre is not a position of weakness? He have Stutzle who regressed this year and can’t trust out in all situations, Norris who has a bum shoulder and isn’t a playmaker and Pinto who just got suspended half the season and hasn't played a full season yet.
I don't see our centres as a competitive strength (Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, Kastelic) because Norris is injury prone. I like Stutzle as a #1 C, Pinto as a #3 C. Norris is a big ?. Kastelic needs to improve to be an acceptable #4 C. Hopefully Pinto can become a #2 C.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I think they all show up in shape and ready to go. Good thing after DJ is the players actually felt embarrassment at their play and not just frustration. The party is over, it’s a workplace now, it’s no longer a place for coaches, managers and players to just survive in the NHL.
they allowed Mark Stone to walk, a heart and soul guy. A few years later, he wins a cup with Vegas
They allowed Karlesson to walk
They traded Zib for an aged Brassard
A disaster allowed Marc Methot to leave
Greg Anderson aged
They made an unwise trade to acquire Duschene and had to move on from him a year later
The Hoffman fiasco
Dione Phanouf was Cinderella and midnight struck, the season after he got here and he would not waive his NTC..so we lose Methot
Codi Ceci was teetering on quality Dman or marginal Dman and fell to marginal
Curtis Lazar was teetering on quality forward or marginal forward and fell to marginal

In the space of 16-20 months, all hell broke loose.

so in 2019/2020 this team is young and no leadership. In a city that cannot attract flies let alone quality FAs or quality trade return.

So 2020/2021 onwards, kids with no leaders. How do you instill discipline? How do you do so when many could have simply demanded out and we would be finished. At the time, we had so hyped them up, we were now afraid of them. The assumption was stardom for most. How do you tell a 22 year old guy that you have been hyping to death, NO.

It is different now. The shine has worn off all of them. Some have been humbled. Norris, dares not lift his head. Chabot goes quiet. Stuzzle, Tkachuk have ben humbled. They have not evolved into the stars it was assumed in 2020 or so. Formenton is facing jail. Batherson has a nice and neat reputation as a slacker. Pinto got embarrassed by his off ice behavior.

Giroux is nearing an end and may want another 1 or 2 year contract. Mathew Joseph has been humbled. Recognizes that his unreal luck in getting that contract, had better not be pushed.
Most of the 3rd and 4th liners are no longer young and are teetering on losing their career.

So now, you crack the whip and they listen. You did not dare crack the whip in 2020-2023.

Green is coming in at just the right time

Reactions: otown

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Where did Green say that?

Having 4 puck movers on D would certainly help get the puck moving out of our D zone. But that leaves only 2 positions for big tough physical defense-oriented Ds.

I like having puck-moving Ds too; at least one on each D pair.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Where did Green say that?

Having 4 puck movers on D would certainly help get the puck moving out of our D zone. But that leaves only 2 positions for big tough physical defense-oriented Ds.

I like having puck-moving Ds too; at least one on each D pair.

Zub and Sandy can kill eonLries. And your other 2 guys can help. His end of season New Jersey presser he said he wants 3 puck movers and better if it’s 4.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Zub and Sandy can kill eonLries. And your other 2 guys can help. His end of season New Jersey presser he said he wants 3 puck movers and better if it’s 4.
Sure, but that doesn’t mean the puck movers bleed goals and are crappy defensively. You can be good at moving the puck and still be decent/good defensively. These are not mutually exclusive things. Context & common sense are generally helpful attributes in life. What’s a "eonLries"?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stutzle gets 93 or more points and only mcdavid has more points than him up to this age since the most recent lock out. He's 21, battling injury.... Do you think he is done developing... Are you new?.... You do understand that with a 90 point season under his belt at 20, go look historically how many players have done that.. Pinto is a very very good two way player just scratching the surface. I already saw you hating on him calling him a degenerate so obviously you cant be objective with the player. Greig is going to be one of the best two way centers in the league already showing signs of being a physical pest who can create offense. Yeah Norris situation isnt ideal with his shoulder hopefully he rebounds. Then they have Kastelic solid 4th line C who is young and developing. Ostapchuk and Halliday. That is not weak its already good with tremendous potential. You're a grumpy hater, you are negative about everything I dont know why i bothered responding.

I don't see our centres as a competitive strength (Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, Kastelic) because Norris is injury prone. I like Stutzle as a #1 C, Pinto as a #3 C. Norris is a big ?. Kastelic needs to improve to be an acceptable #4 C. Hopefully Pinto can become a #2 C.
Thats not including Greig and assuming no one develops at all when they are all 24 and under.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
they allowed Mark Stone to walk, a heart and soul guy. A few years later, he wins a cup with Vegas
They allowed Karlesson to walk
They traded Zib for an aged Brassard
A disaster allowed Marc Methot to leave
Greg Anderson aged
They made an unwise trade to acquire Duschene and had to move on from him a year later
The Hoffman fiasco
Dione Phanouf was Cinderella and midnight struck, the season after he got here and he would not waive his NTC..so we lose Methot
Codi Ceci was teetering on quality Dman or marginal Dman and fell to marginal
Curtis Lazar was teetering on quality forward or marginal forward and fell to marginal

In the space of 16-20 months, all hell broke loose.

so in 2019/2020 this team is young and no leadership. In a city that cannot attract flies let alone quality FAs or quality trade return.

So 2020/2021 onwards, kids with no leaders. How do you instill discipline? How do you do so when many could have simply demanded out and we would be finished. At the time, we had so hyped them up, we were now afraid of them. The assumption was stardom for most. How do you tell a 22 year old guy that you have been hyping to death, NO.

It is different now. The shine has worn off all of them. Some have been humbled. Norris, dares not lift his head. Chabot goes quiet. Stuzzle, Tkachuk have ben humbled. They have not evolved into the stars it was assumed in 2020 or so. Formenton is facing jail. Batherson has a nice and neat reputation as a slacker. Pinto got embarrassed by his off ice behavior.

Giroux is nearing an end and may want another 1 or 2 year contract. Mathew Joseph has been humbled. Recognizes that his unreal luck in getting that contract, had better not be pushed.
Most of the 3rd and 4th liners are no longer young and are teetering on losing their career.

So now, you crack the whip and they listen. You did not dare crack the whip in 2020-2023.

Green is coming in at just the right time
No shortage of optimism in this post. :sarcasm:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sure, but that doesn’t mean the puck movers bleed goals and are crappy defensively. You can be good at moving the puck and still be decent/good defensively. These are not mutually exclusive things. Context & common sense are generally helpful attributes in life. What’s a "eonLries"?

Who said puck movers can’t play good D? Assuming Sens fans want to win a Cup I’d assume every fan wants good 2 way guys and not guys that can’t play D. We’ve seen fans say get rid of Chabot, get rid of Chychryn, get rid of Branny so I think the fans know what’s going on when it comes to evaluating Defencemen and their 2 way play.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
No shortage of optimism in this post. :sarcasm:
Good Old buddy,

we have had 17 years of being Ostridges. Head in the sand, ass UP.

At some point, as a fan base, as a city, as a community. We need to be a tad more defiant. A tad harsher on the team.

At some point, we need to stop calling that obese person "stout", or "full".. but Fat. The Kid who is failing in school, because he does not study, when do we stop saying "he is not applying himself".. How about he is lazy?

7 years out of the playoffs. 7 years of being fed shit about how great things will be. About how are guys are special. About how they are doing the right things.

How about we call a fat person, fat?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Who said puck movers can’t play good D? Assuming Sens fans want to win a Cup I’d assume every fan wants good 2 way guys and not guys that can’t play D. We’ve seen fans say get rid of Chabot, get rid of Chychryn, get rid of Branny so I think the fans know what’s going on when it comes to evaluating Defencemen and their 2 way play.
This whole back & forth started with me responding to your post in which you stated we should draft a forward, and I replied that a RD was the greater need. Somehow we have ended up on a tangent per your above post. I’m glad you agree that a defender that can both move the puck and defend would be better. If you want to draft a forward and think its better, then fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I’ll leave it that because I’m finding this back & forth with you a little too flakey for my tastes.

Last edited:

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Good Old buddy,

we have had 17 years of being Ostridges. Head in the sand, ass UP.

At some point, as a fan base, as a city, as a community. We need to be a tad more defiant. A tad harsher on the team.

At some point, we need to stop calling that obese person "stout", or "full".. but Fat. The Kid who is failing in school, because he does not study, when do we stop saying "he is not applying himself".. How about he is lazy?

7 years out of the playoffs. 7 years of being fed shit about how great things will be. About how are guys are special. About how they are doing the right things.

How about we call a fat person, fat?
I get where you are coming from Beecher.
To be a Sens fans, is to park your disappointment year after year, especially the last 7 years.

I think we all thought things were going to turn around right away with Andlauer.
Just seemed so perfect and he did everything exactly right in the beginning and then things went completely off the rails (once again). Welcome to Ottawa Mr. Andlauer.

Still really like the direction of this team.
This last season was far from perfect, but I think the focus was more off-ice and front office.
This summer will put the focus on the structure of this team.

Obviously, still a lot of question marks (Norris shoulder, Chabot being injury prone, Korpisalo/Goaltending, future of Chychrun, toughness of this team, now Travis Green as coach, etc.) but on the flip side, I like to think there is reasons to be optimistic:

- very young team (5th youngest in the league I believe)
- solid young primary core in Sanderson, Stutzle, Tkachuk.
- solid young secondary core in Pinto, Greig, Batherson, Zub (+ Norris & Chabot)
- solid complementary pieces in Joseph, Giroux, JBD, Kelly
- some good young players coming up in Kleven, Ostap, Jarv, Halliday, Meri, etc.

Going to need some things to come through for us next season like Norris and Chabot coming back and staying healthy, bringing in an RD in the offseason, and then a veteran top 9 and then TG putting in a solid structure that is hopefully going to help out our goalies and/or a bounce back season from Korpi and whoever else is playing nets for us.

I am going glass half full maybe cause I have just had a glass or two but I think we turn it around next year. I think Travis Green is going to be a sneaky good call on the part of Staois.
I am saying we are still playing hockey this time next year vs. the Panthers of FLA.

Reactions: asw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad