Value of: Trading John Tavares

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
why clearly it isn't working?
Shall we bring up the photo he posted from his childhood? The guy dreamt of playing for Toronto since he was young and did everything in his power to make it happen. His heart resides in Toronto so they’re stuck with him. Shane Doan refused to leave Arizona and stayed through his tenure so why can’t John?

Reactions: harv33173

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And why would he waive for a team like that???
this ^

1. will not waive
2. if he did, only logical reason is TOR doesn't look like it can go deep enuf to have good shot at Cup
3. Ergo, he would have to go to team that looks like possible Cup finalist.
4. But no such team with that level of likely success likely to have cap space/extra assets, and even if it did have the assets, why is Tavares worth the splurge?

I extremely doubt it, but MAYBE I repeat MAYBE Oilers could be a fit IF
since I don't think Campbell can still be moved as a cap dump
instead
retained Tavares + like Liljgren
for
Ceci

upgrades Oil RD, something like that

but your best option here is keep, and if injury, LTIR or retire
that is not to say he is unproductive, btw, just not worth his $$$
howev, that is bed you made when you signed him all those yrs ago

Marner will be scapegoat
some of which is deserved to extent while otherwise a fine player, he is butter soft
he's the guy likely going

Reactions: TS Quint

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
1 for 1 cap dump with a similar 1 year remaining contract with a smaller cap hit, albeit a lesser player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Without JT who plays 2C? Sure he’s eating too much in cap (4 mil?) but who replaces his minutes?

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Value of any player in todays NHL is so relevant to his cap hit . This makes trading a player with a high cap hit that is not providing a performance that justifies his cap hit very challenging.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He will never waive his NMC. I think he retires before doing that. Toronto is the only team he wants to play for.

Reactions: miscs75

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Shall we bring up the photo he posted from his childhood? The guy dreamt of playing for Toronto since he was young and did everything in his power to make it happen. His heart resides in Toronto so they’re stuck with him. Shane Doan refused to leave Arizona and stayed through his tenure so why can’t John?
It doesn't matter how much he wants to be in Toronto if the Leafs don't want him back.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Makes zero sense to trade him on the last year of his contract unless a team takes him for free and even then it doesn’t make much sense.

You trade him and now you have to give up assets to go get a 60+ point centres and those aren’t cheap. You’re better off playing out the year and then re-signing him for what he’s worth for his next contract.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Makes zero sense to trade him on the last year of his contract unless a team takes him for free and even then it doesn’t make much sense.

You trade him and now you have to give up assets to go get a 60+ point centres and those aren’t cheap. You’re better off playing out the year and then re-signing him for what he’s worth for his next contract.
I will be so mad if they bring him back. This guy is everything that is wrong with the Leafs. No heart, no passion. The sooner he is off the team, the better.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I will be so mad if they bring him back. This guy is everything that is wrong with the Leafs. No heart, no passion. The sooner he is off the team, the better.

Completely disagree. He’s just overpaid at this point of his career.

He scored 80 points last year, 65 this year. If he was making 3M, people would be praising him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
highly doubt he accepts a trade he has a full NTC
This is the reality along with his cap hit.he is basically untradable but the Leafs are stuck with him.

The Leafs are kind of like what the Sharks were a great regular season team but not built for the playoffs and that's unlikely to change any time soon as there biggest problems are on the backend and they need bigger and better Dmen and more intensity overall.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Tavares for Jeff Skinner. Both players with NTC that make way too much money and want to be close to Toronto. I have no idea how to even that one out or make it happen but it's about as likely as any other fantasy land scenario involving Tavares waiving his NTC.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tavares for Jeff Skinner. Both players with NTC that make way too much money and want to be close to Toronto. I have no idea how to even that one out or make it happen but it's about as likely as any other fantasy land scenario involving Tavares waiving his NTC.

Tavares' contract expires next year. They're not trading it for a bad contract with 4 years left unless Buffalo is willing to throw in a core player.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There are obviously teams that would want him for that last year of his deal, but the no trade clause is going to be incredibly problematic. The teams that could use him for his experience and to add some skill in areas lacking, and have the space to add him (Chicago, Utah, Anaheim, etc) aren't likely to be teams he would be willing to accept a trade to.

there is zero chance Tavares is going to play anywhere else but Toronto for the remainder of his career
What if the Leafs don't give him a contract offer after this one is up? Do you think he would retire?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Tavares' contract expires next year. They're not trading it for a bad contract with 4 years left unless Buffalo is willing to throw in a core player.
LOL - I get it but it's all fantasy anyway. Neither player is waiving their NTC so it doesn't matter. Just saying that these are two teams who have similar situations and players that may waive for each other. I even said I have non idea how to even it out or make it work but I was just throwing it out there as a premise. Maybe Buff retains like $2m per year and you have Skinner at $7m or something I don't know.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Between JT refusing to waive and his performance vs his cap hit.....going to be hard to find a buyer

Reactions: bernmeister

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't get the whole he'll never waive thing. Who gives a shit if it's hometown team. That team is going to be toxic as hell. Marner and Tavares will probably both want to get out.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This is the reality along with his cap hit.he is basically untradable but the Leafs are stuck with him.

The Leafs are kind of like what the Sharks were a great regular season team but not built for the playoffs and that's unlikely to change any time soon as there biggest problems are on the backend and they need bigger and better Dmen and more intensity overall.
yeah and to make changes I would just buy out his final year. unless it comes with multiple years with cap penalty but yeah not much this team CAN do other than fire upper management

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad