GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m leaning towards Roy as our primary target in free agency for defence. Big guy, great defensively, shoots right, decently physical, and he can eat a lot of minutes and played against good competition. Would be a great partner for Rielly.
In my latest update to Capfriendly Armchair-GM, I managed to sign Roy, Montour and Zadorov... (4.8, 7.5, 5 mil each) and still have $2.5 remaining in cap space. That's moving on from Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren. It's incredibly ambitious to think that you can sign all of those guys, but if Marner goes out, we probably can do it cap wise. Argue that I've overpaid, or underpaid... and that's fine.. there's room to pay more, and if I've overpaid, it's more room to upgrade elsewhere.

Marner/Kampf/Jarnkrok to Utah for 2024 1st, McBain, Crouse.... Leafs build a team to play big boy hockey.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
In my latest update to Capfriendly Armchair-GM, I managed to sign Roy, Montour and Zadorov... (4.8, 7.5, 5 mil each) and still have $2.5 remaining in cap space. That's moving on from Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren. It's incredibly ambitious to think that you can sign all of those guys, but if Marner goes out, we probably can do it cap wise. Argue that I've overpaid, or underpaid... and that's fine.. there's room to pay more, and if I've overpaid, it's more room to upgrade elsewhere.

Marner/Kampf/Jarnkrok to Utah for 2024 1st, McBain, Crouse.... Leafs build a team to play big boy hockey.

If we could get any of those defensemen for those prices I’d be over the moon. I think Roy is going to get a contract with an AAV over $5 million though with the likely upcoming bidding war and with how rare RHD are in this league. Even assuming that moving on from Marner should be more than enough to make it work.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we could get any of those defensemen for those prices I’d be over the moon. I think Roy is going to get a contract with an AAV over $5 million though with the likely upcoming bidding war and with how rare RHD are in this league. Even assuming that moving on from Marner should be more than enough to make it work.
What do you think they'll get for contracts? I thought the Zadorov one was particularly generous. $7.5 seems like a lot for Montour, given his 5v5 production this year.... But I went with it anyway... But what do you, or others think he'd get?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What do you think they'll get for contracts? I thought the Zadorov one was particularly generous. $7.5 seems like a lot for Montour, given his 5v5 production this year.... But I went with it anyway... But what do you, or others think he'd get?

Montour seems like he could pull 4-6 years at 5.5-7M - depending how stupid someone gets
Roy 4-5 years at 5.5-5.85M
DeMelo 4x4 - to maybe 5 years up to 5M
Zadorov 4x4 to 5x5 range
Tanev...2-3 years at 4-4.5M

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Montour seems like he could pull 4-6 years at 5.5-7M - depending how stupid someone gets
Roy 4-5 years at 5.5-5.85M
DeMelo 4x4 - to maybe 5 years up to 5M
Zadorov 4x4 to 5x5 range
Tanev...2-3 years at 4-4.5M
So my three... even at your highest ranges, are prices we could afford.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Zadorov I think gets no more than $5 million even, Montour gets the Rielly contract or slightly higher due to a bigger cap, and Roy I estimate $5-5.5 million. It still works with your plan. I overshoot maybe because Free Agency can get real silly with some of the contracts that get handed out.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
All interesting points, but in fact completely irrelevant.

The Toronto Maple Leafs, have internally identified who they believe is a barrier to them moving forward. They have far more information available to them, than we do. They see more of the players training, they have far more information, and also have the capability to have conversations with the players.

So whatever your perception of the situation, it's completely meaningless in what is actually going to happen. For that matter, my perception is just as irrelevant.

What matters, is that they've identified problem player(s), who they stated directly weren't moving forward enough. That there was a time for patience, and that time has passed. It is just how they deal with that now.

the Barrier or issue for me is the same exact issue than 2016-2017... The 2 only D who had been able to have a minimum of impact 200 feet of the ice last 8 season. Jake Muzzin and Jake Mccabe. watch team strong in playoff, they get 2-3 of those d. Vegas, colorado, tampa, stl, washington.

the issue is toronto paying a c who bringing less than Domi at 3,67 X his salary.

just remove jt at 11M, resign domi around 4M, use the 7 M remaining to sign a real #2 Dman who can play 200 feet of the ice and you will already see a complete different team

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Zadorov at 5x5 is going to be the Jeff Finger contract.

I love Z but 3.5-4M x 3 years is probably about the max you go but GMs get stupid on July 1st.
I've heard a lot about him but haven't watched enough to really know.

Seems like for a big guy he can still skate well and lay a big hit but for over 5 million that seems steep. Size is always nice on the back end but when they're going to be a 4th 5th or 6th you can't be paying over 3 or 4 million max.

I guess if he played second pair with McCabe that'd be solid. He still only puts up about 20 points a season so again can't be too much.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I would spread the money out more evenly. There's a lot of offence that needs to be replaced with Marner going. At least a stop gap option like Duchene is necessary.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Every time I watch Carolina play I can't help but think Liljgren would be a fit, especially if they lose all their UFA D.

Just seems like a guy who'd fit their system. Not overly physical, skates well and can close gaps well.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Every time I watch Carolina play I can't help but think Liljgren would be a fit, especially if they lose all their UFA D.

Just seems like a guy who'd fit their system. Not overly physical, skates well and can close gaps well.

Marner (with extension)
Liljegren

for

Necas
2025 2nd
Rights to Nikishkin
Rights to Skjei

I don't know if we're getting enough back.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner (with extension)
Liljegren

for

Necas
2025 2nd
Rights to Nikishkin
Rights to Skjei

We're not and I don't really see Marner as a fit there

I'm thinking something like Lilj for a late first or a couple 2nds.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm guessing Roy is getting 6M+. 21 minute/night, <30, 6'2 RHD - he'll have plenty of suitors. If he isn't loyal to the Kings or Wings and just goes for the highest number he should eclipse 6 no problem.

Liljegren for Drury should get over the finish line as soon as Carolina's season ends.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Zadorov at 5x5 is going to be the Jeff Finger contract.

I love Z but 3.5-4M x 3 years is probably about the max you go but GMs get stupid on July 1st.

The frustrating part is 80% of Joe Shmoe fans can see that, but some management team getting paid millions of dollars will do it (hopefully not ours).

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Marner (with extension)
Liljegren

for

Necas
2025 2nd
Rights to Nikishkin
Rights to Skjei

I'd do it.
Nikishin might be the best D prospect not in the NHL. If we got Skjei signed and then signed Matt Roy, and traded a package for Ehlers I think this team is looking noice.

Also I forget who keeps suggesting Zach L'heareux but I like the sounds of that. Maybe trotz would like a reunion with Jarnkrok for him. Wishful thinking of course.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd do it.
Nikishin might be the best D prospect not in the NHL. If we got Skjei signed and then signed Matt Roy, and traded a package for Ehlers I think this team is looking noice.

Also I forget who keeps suggesting Zach L'heareux but I like the sounds of that. Maybe trotz would like a reunion with Jarnkrok for him. Wishful thinking of course.

You don't want Ehlers, ghost in the playoffs.

Reactions: supermann_98

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
You don't want Ehlers, ghost in the playoffs.
I'd like to see him with a different coach who actually trusts and plays him. I'm willing to bet he'd look really good under the right coach. Although I do admit that type of coach was probably someone like Keefe and not convinced he'd thrive under a Berube type if the Leafs do indeed hire him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like to see him with a different coach who actually trusts and plays him. I'm willing to bet he'd look really good under the right coach. Although I do admit that type of coach was probably someone like Keefe and not convinced he'd thrive under a Berube type if the Leafs do indeed hire him.

I think Ehlers got to play top line with Schiefele so the chance was there....I could see Ehlers wilting under a guy like Berube though as Kyrou seemed to in that last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad