GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
LA Kings could be primed to make a move to inject more offense as well.
Kings needs money to sign Byfield, starting goalie, possibly Roy and bunch of RFA during this summer.
Marner and his huge contract is the last things they need when they already have Fiala, PLD and Kempe.
I believe you can cross out LA from the list of teams who is interested in Marner.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I am really nervous about the type of contract Zadarov is going to sign.
Like the player, not going to like the contract he gets. Biggest mistakes are made on July 1st.

Toronto has generally avoided making big mistakes in free agency. But I can see some bigger contracts from us being thrown out at people.

Toronto needs to find a way to dump reaves and Kampf, that money between them is essentially Domi's money moving forward.

For me thats it, of Toronto is abl3 to move away JT, they probably dont need to move marner too.

In perfect world, jt is being moved and leafs using the 11M of his salary to add 2 d maybe exemple Montour at 7M and tanev at 4M.

you start next season with
Rielly-Tanev
Mccabe-Montour
Benoit-???

and i think everyone will benefit of it. Just add one d able to create thing in the offensive side like exemple Montour, that will create space for the guys in front and if Matthews, Marner, Nylander having more space on the ice, they will be more dangerous.

Personally i think blaming one player for everything is unfair. PP had been awful and its about all the 5 player on the ice, not 1. Just add 2-3 pts from pp and nobody would talk about him.

The biggest leafs problem right now is Tavares at 11M and biggest dubas mistake than leafs still pay for it today.
Toronto's sole focus should be moving on from JT, even if they retain 50% of the contract, that's an extra 5.5m you can use to bolster D or dish out to Stephenson.

I get it that Marner is a hated man due to his playoff performance, but it's extremely short sited to try to move on from the 100 point winger, good 2 way, and younger player rather then move on from JT whose declining.

Reactions: notdoneyet

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pagnotta suggests we will be going after Zadorov and Arvidsson as Free Agents.

Just four games after making his season debut, Los Angeles Kings forward Viktor Arvidsson returned to long-term injured reserve Saturday.

Arvidsson will be sidelined with a lower-body injury after missing the first 50 games of the season following back surgery in October.

He initially returned Feb. 15 in a 2-1 road win over the New Jersey Devils, but was injured again five days later in a 5-1 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets
By being placed on long-term IR, Arvidsson will be sidelined a minimum of 10 games and 24 days for the Kings.

Arvidsson, 30, totaled 59 points (26 goals, 33 assists) in 77 games last season. He notched two assists in the four games he appeared in this season.

30 year olds with major back injuries scare the bejesus out of me, that's a flashing red alert sign if ever there was one
Yeah, could be 5x5 too.

I personally think a team needs to look at their salary cap situation and ask how much they'd want to pay a 3rd pairing guy, that's what he is on a cup contender.

I think I'd rather just spend the extra mill or two and get Roy or Montour instead

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Any chance the Leafs would trade with ottawa? A deal of some sort for Chychrun? i know he has one year left on his contract I think and most seem to think he wants to play in the US so perhaps a hard no?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Like the player, not going to like the contract he gets. Biggest mistakes are made on July 1st.

Toronto has generally avoided making big mistakes in free agency. But I can see some bigger contracts from us being thrown out at people.

Toronto needs to find a way to dump reaves and Kampf, that money between them is essentially Domi's money moving forward.

Toronto's sole focus should be moving on from JT, even if they retain 50% of the contract, that's an extra 5.5m you can use to bolster D or dish out to Stephenson.

I get it that Marner is a hated man due to his playoff performance, but it's extremely short sited to try to move on from the 100 point winger, good 2 way, and younger player rather then move on from JT whose declining.

I think I'd still rather have JT than Stephenson in that scenario.

Reactions: kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For me thats it, of Toronto is abl3 to move away JT, they probably dont need to move marner too.

In perfect world, jt is being moved and leafs using the 11M of his salary to add 2 d maybe exemple Montour at 7M and tanev at 4M.

you start next season with
Rielly-Tanev
Mccabe-Montour
Benoit-???

and i think everyone will benefit of it. Just add one d able to create thing in the offensive side like exemple Montour, that will create space for the guys in front and if Matthews, Marner, Nylander having more space on the ice, they will be more dangerous.

Personally i think blaming one player for everything is unfair. PP had been awful and its about all the 5 player on the ice, not 1. Just add 2-3 pts from pp and nobody would talk about him.

The biggest leafs problem right now is Tavares at 11M and biggest dubas mistake than leafs still pay for it today.

We as fans might not have the full picture on this. It was suggested in the Friday interviews, by Shanahan I believe, that they've identified players who have not made the progress asked of them. These players, aren't becoming playoff performers, or doing what it takes to get there. Now from the tone, it really sounded like he was talking about young players growing their games, and be patient waiting for them to do so... Tavares wasn't a young player, and I don't think patience is part of the equation... so to me, Shanny was talking about one of Nylander, Matthews and Marner, not having what it takes to become what they need....

So the biggest problem, is removing the player(s), that lack the mentality to compete in the playoffs. Cap is kind of irrelevant, when you have key guys, who won't play to win, and are a detriment to the team. It's a bit of a addition by subtraction, even if they have great natural talent... now we've all speculated that's Marner.. and it probably is... so no matter what else is done... that player (Marner?) needs to be moved.

Moving JT might also be a problem, but less so if Marner(?)'s cap is removed. JT is also far less likely to waive, and plays a position that would be very difficult to replace him. The number of good replacement UFA 2C's is very small, while the next year is looking better for now. WIth JT's cap hit, it might actually cost us assets to move him... which isn't palatable at all.

So first, remove the players who are barriers to success... then deal with things from there.

Any chance the Leafs would trade with ottawa? A deal of some sort for Chychrun? i know he has one year left on his contract I think and most seem to think he wants to play in the US so perhaps a hard no?
Why do we need another LD, who is good on the PP, but needs sheltering defensively? I mean, if the plan is to move Rielly... ok... I mean I guess.. .but otherwise how does this make any sense? Especially if we continue to run basically one PP unit... maybe that changes under a new coach, who knows.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Saros is in the Vezina conversation, year after year. He's absolutely the goalie we haven't had since..... Belfour? Cujo?

And he fits the plan of having the best shot at a cup with Matthews signed
Fair points but I disagree.

Saros will be a 30 year old UFA next season, who earns $5m a season. What is the play there? Is he being resigned? For how much and for how long? You are looking at $6m a season is my hunch.

I think it’s a missed opportunity to get more pressing needs addressed with an important player traded.

We can’t whiff on a Marner trade like we did Kadri.

There are excellent goalie options for us that don’t cost what Saros will cost, both in cap hit and in assets to acquire.

Adding Stolarz, developing our goalies like Woll and Hildeby, while improving our defence corps will have a direct impact in improving how whomever we play in net performs.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and Fogelhund

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
We as fans might not have the full picture on this. It was suggested in the Friday interviews, by Shanahan I believe, that they've identified players who have not made the progress asked of them. These players, aren't becoming playoff performers, or doing what it takes to get there. Now from the tone, it really sounded like he was talking about young players growing their games, and be patient waiting for them to do so... Tavares wasn't a young player, and I don't think patience is part of the equation... so to me, Shanny was talking about one of Nylander, Matthews and Marner, not having what it takes to become what they need....

So the biggest problem, is removing the player(s), that lack the mentality to compete in the playoffs. Cap is kind of irrelevant, when you have key guys, who won't play to win, and are a detriment to the team. It's a bit of a addition by subtraction, even if they have great natural talent... now we've all speculated that's Marner.. and it probably is... so no matter what else is done... that player (Marner?) needs to be moved.

Moving JT might also be a problem, but less so if Marner(?)'s cap is removed. JT is also far less likely to waive, and plays a position that would be very difficult to replace him. The number of good replacement UFA 2C's is very small, while the next year is looking better for now. WIth JT's cap hit, it might actually cost us assets to move him... which isn't palatable at all.

So first, remove the players who are barriers to success... then deal with things from there.

Why do we need another LD, who is good on the PP, but needs sheltering defensively? I mean, if the plan is to move Rielly... ok... I mean I guess.. .but otherwise how does this make any sense? Especially if we continue to run basically one PP unit... maybe that changes under a new coach, who knows.

since leafs making the playoff, its a fact.

Marner had trouble to score vs Boston vs Boston is a fact but did thats really justify all the hate against him and the fact people started to blame him right after the 2nd gane when serie was tie at 1-1? Pastrnak was worst than Marner most of this series, the 1st time we started heard something negative about him is like after game 5 or 6?

Nylander scored 3 goal last 2, it was great on paper but you watch him... 1 was a weak shot grom blueline with a lucky deflection on McAvoy and one of 3 was just a the right place at the right time with matthews did everything on the play. He scored 1 great goal when he made a great play in the defensive end to create his breakaway goal. But Nylander is considerated like a god and marner like the worst player in the planet. This 1-2-3 lucky bounce is really whats making a player a good or bad player?

sometime the difference between having a great and a bad serie is pretty small. So if you considerating a player good only when hes got those bounce on their side, its a bit unfair.

Could Marner producing more tha what he did absolutly but no way he was as bad than what i heard since start of playoff.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’d be game for Marner for Pettersson. Give or take some assets.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Pettersson-Nylander

Of course assuming we keep top line the same. Petey should be coming in at less than what Marner is going to request + gives us a C. Canucks can re-sign Lindholm for C and have Miller there too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’d be game for Marner for Pettersson. Give or take some assets.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Pettersson-Nylander

Of course assuming we keep top line the same. Petey should be coming in at less than what Marner is going to request + gives us a C. Canucks can re-sign Lindholm for C and have Miller there too.
I would avoid him. The point is to not have another double digit forward and especially one who may struggle in the playoffs.
We are just going to end up having the same discussion.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Marner + 23 OA to Utah for Crouse + Keller
Tavares(full salary) + Minten to Hawks for Seth Jones(full salary) + 20OA(via Tampa)
20OA + Robertson to Vegas for Theodore(extended 7x8)
Kampf to CBJ for a 6th
Liljegren to Winnipeg for a 3rd
Sign Stephenson 6x6
Sign Domi 4x4
Sign Brossoit 3x3
Sign Edmundson 1x2

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Stephenson- Nylander
Crouse - Holmberg - Keller
XXX - Dewar - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Theodore
Edmundson - Benoit

Woll
Brossoit

The defense has a lot more puck moving and offensive ability while maintaining being hard to play against. Forwards retooled to be deeper with more scoring threats. Goaltending is cheap and has upside if Woll can stay healthy and Brossoit continues to be the best backup in the NHL capable of taking over for stretches (kinda like Campbell).

Grit up and down the lineup, can play basically any style you want them to. Hire Berube and play the right way all season long.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
since leafs making the playoff, its a fact.

Marner had trouble to score vs Boston vs Boston is a fact but did thats really justify all the hate against him and the fact people started to blame him right after the 2nd gane when serie was tie at 1-1? Pastrnak was worst than Marner most of this series, the 1st time we started heard something negative about him is like after game 5 or 6?

Nylander scored 3 goal last 2, it was great on paper but you watch him... 1 was a weak shot grom blueline with a lucky deflection on McAvoy and one of 3 was just a the right place at the right time with matthews did everything on the play. He scored 1 great goal when he made a great play in the defensive end to create his breakaway goal. But Nylander is considerated like a god and marner like the worst player in the planet. This 1-2-3 lucky bounce is really whats making a player a good or bad player?

sometime the difference between having a great and a bad serie is pretty small. So if you considerating a player good only when hes got those bounce on their side, its a bit unfair.

Could Marner producing more tha what he did absolutly but no way he was as bad than what i heard since start of playoff.
All interesting points, but in fact completely irrelevant.

The Toronto Maple Leafs, have internally identified who they believe is a barrier to them moving forward. They have far more information available to them, than we do. They see more of the players training, they have far more information, and also have the capability to have conversations with the players.

So whatever your perception of the situation, it's completely meaningless in what is actually going to happen. For that matter, my perception is just as irrelevant.

What matters, is that they've identified problem player(s), who they stated directly weren't moving forward enough. That there was a time for patience, and that time has passed. It is just how they deal with that now.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Our D situation is dire. One of Dubas' most egregious mistakes was having zero contingency plans in place for aging Muzzin/Brodie/Giordano.

If we don't move a core player like Marner (who many are already rationalizing keeping) then I predict we will have a 3-4 year window left with this core because the D's best years are behind them.

UFAs:
- Roy (29)
- Montour (29)
- Zadorov (29)
- Pesce (30)
- Tanev (34)

Current top 4D:
- Rielly (30)
- McCabe (30)

Not a problem today, but in ~3-4 years the whole blueline will start to fall-off a cliff simultaneously, made worse by the fact that we have arguably the worst D prospect pool in the NHL.

Need to pivot our approach and add a U28 core piece on the blueline, in addition to UFA adds. Important to do this now while Rielly is still impactful.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Need to pivot our approach and add a U28 core piece on the blueline, in addition to UFA adds. Important to do this now while Rielly is still impactful.

Our young goalies seem in decent hands with Woll, Hildebeast, and Akhtyamov.

Our young forwards, mostly on the wing, seem in decent hands with Knies, Cowen, Grebenkin, Minten, Robertson, etc.

But yea, our young D? Benoit/Liljegren are realistically #4-5 guys (and both are already 25), barring taking another solid step forward. Niemela has some potential, but I'm less confident about him than I am about other prospects, and after Niemela it's a bit of a crapshoot.

If you ranked our U25 players/prospects in terms of potential, Niemela might be the only D in the top 10.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Fair points but I disagree.

Saros will be a 30 year old UFA next season, who earns $5m a season. What is the play there? Is he being resigned? For how much and for how long? You are looking at $6m a season is my hunch.

I think it’s a missed opportunity to get more pressing needs addressed with an important player traded.

We can’t whiff on a Marner trade like we did Kadri.

There are excellent goalie options for us that don’t cost what Saros will cost, both in cap hit and in assets to acquire.

Adding Stolarz, developing our goalies like Woll and Hildeby, while improving our defence corps will have a direct impact in improving how whomever we play in net performs.
Stolarz doesn't make your goalie position all that much better, if at all. He's never been a rock solid #1 guy in the league. This team needs a reliable #1. Markstrom is too old. Saros provides the best option in that sense.

I agree, though, we need two defensemen, and a 2/3C, as well

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pagnotta suggests we will be going after Zadorov and Arvidsson as Free Agents.

Just four games after making his season debut, Los Angeles Kings forward Viktor Arvidsson returned to long-term injured reserve Saturday.

Arvidsson will be sidelined with a lower-body injury after missing the first 50 games of the season following back surgery in October.

He initially returned Feb. 15 in a 2-1 road win over the New Jersey Devils, but was injured again five days later in a 5-1 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets
By being placed on long-term IR, Arvidsson will be sidelined a minimum of 10 games and 24 days for the Kings.

Arvidsson, 30, totaled 59 points (26 goals, 33 assists) in 77 games last season. He notched two assists in the four games he appeared in this season.

Not sure about Arvidsson but on D Zadorov and Tanev will be Tres top targets.

Rielly Tanev
Zadorov McCabe
Edmundson Ghost
Benoit Boosh

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Our D situation is dire. One of Dubas' most egregious mistakes was having zero contingency plans in place for aging Muzzin/Brodie/Giordano.

If we don't move a core player like Marner (who many are already rationalizing keeping) then I predict we will have a 3-4 year window left with this core because the D's best years are behind them.

UFAs:
- Roy (29)
- Montour (29)
- Zadorov (29)
- Pesce (30)
- Tanev (34)

Current top 4D:
- Rielly (30)
- McCabe (30)

Not a problem today, but in ~3-4 years the whole blueline will start to fall-off a cliff simultaneously, made worse by the fact that we have arguably the worst D prospect pool in the NHL.

While getting a younger D would be nice, the team probably has 5 to 6 more years to being contenders before having to rebuild.

Don't think the team should give any free agent dman more then 6 years. 5 would be the sweetspot.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Doubt it. The Canucks need to run it back at least 5 more years before the deem EP40 a playoff dud.

Seriously, we'd be in the same pickle if we made such a move although it is intriguing.
one overpaid under achieving Swed is enough for my tastes, in fact even one is too many..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad