GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
How much do we think Toffoli signs for this offseason?

I feel like I would exploring that over giving Bert money.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Toffoli - Tavares - Nylander

From Scarborough, scores at a pretty decent clip. Brad got him in Calgary I believe.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How much do we think Toffoli signs for this offseason?

I feel like I would exploring that over giving Bert money.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Toffoli - Tavares - Nylander

From Scarborough, scores at a pretty decent clip. Brad got him in Calgary I believe.

Too much money for another winger. Probably around 6M with term I think, at least he should get that anyway.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Too much money for another winger. Probably around 6M with term I think, at least he should get that anyway.
I mean, it seems like we are pretty interested in Bertuzzi.

This is obviously working under the assumption Marner is traded. But I feel like Bertuzzi would come in around 5m. I feel like I'd give an extra million to get Toffoli.

But again, all hypotheticals.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean, it seems like we are pretty interested in Bertuzzi.

This is obviously working under the assumption Marner is traded. But I feel like Bertuzzi would come in around 5m. I feel like I'd give an extra million to get Toffoli.

But again, all hypotheticals.

Good point. I think Toffoli is really good and actually is a shooter first kind of player. I'd much prefer Toffoli over Bertuzzi as well. But he's what people would consider "soft" and he's not the fastest either.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Good point. I think Toffoli is really good and actually is a shooter first kind of player. I'd much prefer Toffoli over Bertuzzi as well. But he's what people would consider "soft" and he's not the fastest either.
I guess so. The one thing I liked about Bert but it can contributed to Domi as well. Matthews seemed a bit more feisty with them as line mates.

We haven't fully seen it but I think McMann could be a pretty good playoff player, Domi seems to be not overly soft, as is Knies.

I would be against replacing Bert with Toffoli in our current set up, but if we move Marner. I could be for it as it could potentially give us room for a "soft" player.

We've been able to battle with toughness outside of really Florida, at this point I just want to score in the playoffs so I'm open to anything lol.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Also depending on what we do with Trades and Free agency, I'd be very intrigued by a Cowan-Tavares-McMann line.

Reactions: Kurtz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pagnotta suggests we will be going after Zadorov and Arvidsson as Free Agents.

Just four games after making his season debut, Los Angeles Kings forward Viktor Arvidsson returned to long-term injured reserve Saturday.

Arvidsson will be sidelined with a lower-body injury after missing the first 50 games of the season following back surgery in October.

He initially returned Feb. 15 in a 2-1 road win over the New Jersey Devils, but was injured again five days later in a 5-1 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets
By being placed on long-term IR, Arvidsson will be sidelined a minimum of 10 games and 24 days for the Kings.

Arvidsson, 30, totaled 59 points (26 goals, 33 assists) in 77 games last season. He notched two assists in the four games he appeared in this season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If the idea is to keep Brtuzzi and Domi, while singing Zadorov...that's a lot of money that's needed.

Have to assume salary dumps will be made and one of the top 4 will be gone (Tavares or Marner)

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If you’re the owners why would you care about money already committed when negotiating a split? If the players say “you’re already committing $3.2B, please give us more” where is the convincing argument? The money already committed is mitigated by escrow.

The league is also continuously moving towards owners who don’t rely on the team generated revenue to stay afloat. Moving away from owners like Melnyk and Mereulo - they are more prepared than ever for a lockout. It is far more likely that 50% goes up in favor of the owners than vice versa.
You've just described the dynamic in every negotiation ever.

You know how the $3.2B is a derived, right? All HRR combined for all 32 teams, it is then divided by 32 and that gives each team their salary cap, in this fictitious case it would be $100M per team and the cap floor is some percentage of the top limit, I think it is around $70M.

The players don't have a lot of leverage and nobody wants a work stoppage again, but that is one negotiating tactic either side could employ. If the full $3.2 billion is not being spent already then the players have less ability to even demonstrate their need for the cap going up.

We also shouldn't assume that every team wants the same thing here, even though they have been unified in the last couple of CBA negotiations. Top revenue producing teams (NYR, Toronto, Montreal) are paying a lower percentage of HRR on salaries than the Winnipegs, Arizonas, and Ottawas of the world. Yes, this increases their operating margin it also impedes their ability to buy a winner. The high revenue teams carry the lower revenue teams in the name of parity with the belief that this will grow the game on the whole. These top teams being constantly "up against the cap" and losing players as a result of it might be an issue the PA can exploit to create a crack in the owner unity. Maybe a luxury tax? A slight increase in cap splits? A combination?

I don't know if any of this would happen, but it doesn't happen without upward price pressure on every player's contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Just four games after making his season debut, Los Angeles Kings forward Viktor Arvidsson returned to long-term injured reserve Saturday.

Arvidsson will be sidelined with a lower-body injury after missing the first 50 games of the season following back surgery in October.

He initially returned Feb. 15 in a 2-1 road win over the New Jersey Devils, but was injured again five days later in a 5-1 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets
By being placed on long-term IR, Arvidsson will be sidelined a minimum of 10 games and 24 days for the Kings.

Arvidsson, 30, totaled 59 points (26 goals, 33 assists) in 77 games last season. He notched two assists in the four games he appeared in this season.

Arvidsson had zero goals and 3 assists in 5GP as a King

He threw the body quite a b it and after that long of a layoff didn't look bad, it would need to be a value kind of contract.

Reactions: Duffman955

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the idea is to keep Brtuzzi and Domi, while singing Zadorov...that's a lot of money that's needed.

Have to assume salary dumps will be made and one of the top 4 will be gone (Tavares or Marner)

And doesn't fix the biggest need -- RHD quality.

But the Leafs have about 20M in cap space. They can splurge even without making cap dumps.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And doesn't fix the biggest need -- RHD quality.

But the Leafs have about 20M in cap space. They can splurge even without making cap dumps.

Agreed - it feels like for a decade we've been talking about RD....we need to get 2 probably to put this to bed.

I am really nervous about the type of contract Zadarov is going to sign.

4x4 give or take a year / 1M

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Agreed - it feels like for a decade we've been talking about RD....we need to get 2 probably to put this to bed.

4m is a lot better than some of the numbers I've seen thrown around. This can basically be done if we trade Kampf/Jankrok since we have people who can take over them already here.

Technically signing Zadarov kinda helps with RD, because it means you can move McCabe to RD. But yeah will still need 1-2 after that.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You've just described the dynamic in every negotiation ever.

You know how the $3.2B is a derived, right? All HRR combined for all 32 teams, it is then divided by 32 and that gives each team their salary cap, in this fictitious case it would be $100M per team and the cap floor is some percentage of the top limit, I think it is around $70M.

The players don't have a lot of leverage and nobody wants a work stoppage again, but that is one negotiating tactic either side could employ. If the full $3.2 billion is not being spent already then the players have less ability to even demonstrate their need for the cap going up.

We also shouldn't assume that every team wants the same thing here, even though they have been unified in the last couple of CBA negotiations. Top revenue producing teams (NYR, Toronto, Montreal) are paying a lower percentage of HRR on salaries than the Winnipegs, Arizonas, and Ottawas of the world. Yes, this increases their operating margin it also impedes their ability to buy a winner. The high revenue teams carry the lower revenue teams in the name of parity with the belief that this will grow the game on the whole. These top teams being constantly "up against the cap" and losing players as a result of it might be an issue the PA can exploit to create a crack in the owner unity. Maybe a luxury tax? A slight increase in cap splits? A combination?

I don't know if any of this would happen, but it doesn't happen without upward price pressure on every player's contract.
I couldn’t disagree more. Either way - if the Leafs offer Tavares league minimum and he doesn’t want to play anywhere else or retire, therefore he takes the deal, the PA won’t do anything. They can’t force him to move or retire.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
4m is a lot better than some of the numbers I've seen thrown around. This can basically be done if we trade Kampf/Jankrok since we have people who can take over them already here.

Technically signing Zadarov kinda helps with RD, because it means you can move McCabe to RD. But yeah will still need 1-2 after that.

Yeah, could be 5x5 too.

I personally think a team needs to look at their salary cap situation and ask how much they'd want to pay a 3rd pairing guy, that's what he is on a cup contender.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Looking at NSH for assets in a Marner deal I see another move that makes sense for both:

Jarnkrok, Robertson for Tomasino, Fabbro

Tomasino is a RS C, same age as Robertson, similar NHL production. He appears to not be welcome back in Nashville. Fabbro is a RHD who struggled to crack the lineup in NSH but has a history of solid play alongside Josi during his Norris season.

Trotz is familiar with Jarnkrok and it can be assumed based on ice time and him being protected in the VGK expansion that he likes him. Robertson is a young scorer that they could theoretically use.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, could be 5x5 too.

I personally think a team needs to look at their salary cap situation and ask how much they'd want to pay a 3rd pairing guy, that's what he is on a cup contender.
Yeah, I'd also probably try to gauge what Edmundson wants. Especially if they will be playing similar minutes. Potentially 2m in savings compared to the two as well.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Yeah, I'm thinking he'll get the Brodie deal - 4 years, $5m per. Or 5x5.

Arvidsson's name surprises me a bit just because wing is an area of strength, but a 3rd line of Arvidsson-Holmberg-Jarn would make some sense as a defensive line with some pop.

Reactions: kb and WTFMAN99

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Nashville has a lot of draft capital to offer:

1715872605085.png

horner

May 22, 2007
Pesce and Montour and our defense is overhauled. Not sure how much they each would want but if we can make Tavares disappear and a few others may be doable.

Rielly. Pesce
Mccabe. Montour
Benoit. Lybushkin
Edmonson. Timmins
Some people have said that he has lost a step.

Montour and Tanev for me
Tanev will be less term

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If we had dman that could get the puck to the net Bertuzzi tn. front bugging the goalie tipping picks in.

Trade
Jamcrock
kampf
Ljiligren

But concentrating on D first and 2nd

Montour would be a great add to the blueline
Tanev

Hopefully they can get JT to waive retain 4.5 mil
Sign Monahan for 5 nil

For me thats it, of Toronto is abl3 to move away JT, they probably dont need to move marner too.

In perfect world, jt is being moved and leafs using the 11M of his salary to add 2 d maybe exemple Montour at 7M and tanev at 4M.

you start next season with
Rielly-Tanev
Mccabe-Montour
Benoit-???

and i think everyone will benefit of it. Just add one d able to create thing in the offensive side like exemple Montour, that will create space for the guys in front and if Matthews, Marner, Nylander having more space on the ice, they will be more dangerous.

Personally i think blaming one player for everything is unfair. PP had been awful and its about all the 5 player on the ice, not 1. Just add 2-3 pts from pp and nobody would talk about him.

The biggest leafs problem right now is Tavares at 11M and biggest dubas mistake than leafs still pay for it today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad