GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He had a career season in terms of goal scoring a few years ago and has never come close to matching. God bless his advanced stats, but the reality is that he scored 20 goals on the second highest scoring team in the league and has a penchant for taking lazy, undisciplined penalties, including in the playoffs. That would be all well and good if he was being paid like a third liner, but if he wants $5 or $6 million on term, he can go find it somewhere else.
He still scored 20 after having probably the worst 1st half of the season any player could have. The reality is that he retrieves pucks for the players he plays with since a lot of our top players don't like to do that dirty work. He plays on the edge and is involved around the net always so that might lead to some PIMs but who cares. Not his fault our PK is god awful. Knies might be the only other player/prospect we have that could replace what he brings and I'd rather have 1 of them on every line instead of 3 highly skilled players who are afraid of areas where there's traffic around.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
How would you propose that this up and coming team that started it’s build in 2014 rebuild and/or improve.

There are only 3 ways:
1. Drafting
2. Trading
3. UFA

What would be your plan after seeing 1 playoff win in 8 years
I have no idea. But many fans just assume we will become a better team by dumping Marner. Fans including myself will turn on any player they believe chose greed over the success of the team.

But here we are. No doubt Marner is overpaid, but the real problem is the 11 million going to Tavares. Safe to say building through the draft isn't happening. Not that I didn't love the 2 weeks of Plekenecz, Boyle, Foligno etc.

Trade? Do we trust Brad to use that extra money wisely? After years of not winning, the pressure is only rising. Is that a situation any marquee FA will want to be part of? Don't know.

Last edited:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Sens fan. Wondering if theres any situation where leafs would trade us both robertson and lilly as a package and what kind of return that would take coming back?
I think at this point, anything is possible. Do you have a proposal in mind?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Probably take an overpay given the teams involved. I'd expect with an immediate update to one of them. So top 4 D or top 6 fwd
I don't see the Sens doing that, not for Robertson and Lily. I'm thinking that would give them a middling prospect and like a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think at this point, anything is possible. Do you have a proposal in mind?
My ideal would be something around picks going back.

But I think all of the non-worthless pieces sens management would consider tradeable would be:
26OA pick,
39OA pick,
Other later picks,
Josh Norris,
Chychrun,
Parker Kelly,
Mathieu Joseph
Tyler Boucher (if you want to take that risk), Angus crookshank
Erik brannstrom
Z. Ostapchuk

Some of these pieces I wouldn't want traded or there would be work to even out the value, but those are the pieces I think the sens would be listening on.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Sens fan. Wondering if theres any situation where leafs would trade us both robertson and lilly as a package and what kind of return that would take coming back?
Just curious to see what you think it would take for us to acquire Chabot?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I have no idea. But many fans just assume we will become a better team by dumping Marner. For the record, I hated his contract from day 1. Fans including myself will turn on any player they believe chose greed over the success of the team.

But here we are. No doubt Marner is overpaid, but the real problem is the 11 million going to Tavares. What would I do? Safe to say building through the draft isn't happening. Not that I didn't love the 2 weeks of Plekenecz, Boyle, Foligno etc.

Trade? Do we trust Brad to use that extra money wisely? After years of not winning, the pressure is only rising. Is that a situation any marquee FA will want to be part of? Don't know.

The Marner divorce is happening. But for the record, I would have kept him. See how he performs under the new coach and wait to make whopping changes next summer or at the deadline depending how greedy he wants to be on his next deal. I just wish Tavares contract was done this year. That is the wasted money. I hate losing year after year in the play offs as much as anyone, but I also hated missing the play-offs for a decade even more. I will take the extra 7 games, because there is an entire winter to get through first.
I agree somewhat about making the playoffs over not making them. However, is not the main goal of every owner to win the Cup? It's such a shame that over the past 5 years for sure, MLSE believed the bullshit that Shanahan was giving them! The contracts he and Dubas gave to this core, while getting NOTHING back from them (especially no hometown discount), started this whole mess we are in now. Add to that continuously giving away precious draft picks for 2 month rentals while having nothing to show for it. And the real kick in the groin, being afraid to make changes to the core despite them not being able to get this team over the hump.

Matthews and Nylander already have their new contracts, Marner doesn't. He needs to go, and personally he is the one I want to go anyway!

Reactions: TMLAM34

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Thomas Chabot
Shane Pinto
2024 1st Round Pick

To Ottawa-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Probably the 2024 1st from Boston, a 2024 or 2025 2nd, plus either another low pick or a cheap depth dman under contract next season.

Reactions: dumbdick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Just curious to see what you think it would take for us to acquire Chabot?
Good question. I think he's available for a hockey trade but only if we can resign chychrun. I think most sens fans prefer chabot though and he's locked up for a while.

I'm not sure there's a great deal to be made between our clubs involving Chabot. No simple one at least.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we traded Rielly, Montour would probably be a target as a UFA, failing that, Ghost is also a good PP guy.

We also need to fix the PK

Skjei-Montour
McCabe-Tanev
Benoit-X (could be anyone like Liljegren I guess but I think Liljegren is gone)

Also landing 3 of the big UFAs on defense seems unlikely.
Montour I could see... Ghost is a downgrade overall though. The challenge of course, is that you'd have to sign these guys, and then offload Rielly post July 1st... which could be tricky. You certainly don't want to trade Mo, and then strike out July 1st....

Roy is a good PK guy, while bringing more physicality, and actually more ES points than Montour this year. He's not your PP answer though.

He had a career season in terms of goal scoring a few years ago and has never come close to matching. God bless his advanced stats, but the reality is that he scored 20 goals on the second highest scoring team in the league and has a penchant for taking lazy, undisciplined penalties, including in the playoffs. That would be all well and good if he was being paid like a third liner, but if he wants $5 or $6 million on term, he can go find it somewhere else.
Bertuzzi is a decent player, and there is enough reason to want him back... but he does have his warts, and as you suggest, isn't worth the asking price.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
How much longer until people here start the annual rationalization of keeping the core together? Amnesia might already be setting in early.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
To Toronto-
Thomas Chabot
Shane Pinto
2024 1st Round Pick

To Ottawa-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick

I don't think Marner is waiving to go to the Sens. He'd be moving to a less interesting city with similar taxes, but he'd lose significant $$ per year in endorsements. They haven't made the playoffs in 5+ years, and he'd still be dealing with the Canadian media.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
How much longer until people here start the annual rationalization of keeping the core together? Amnesia might already be setting in early.
The possibility just can't be fully dismissed because of the NMCs. A glimmer of hope might be that we somewhat haven't seen this core under a different coach. Did anyone realistically expect this team to have defeated Washington or Boston? Maybe that second series against Boston under Babcock...maybe?

Reactions: Sypher04

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't think Marner is waiving to go to the Sens. He'd be moving to a less interesting city with similar taxes, but he'd lose significant $$ per year in endorsements. They haven't made the playoffs in 5+ years, and he'd still be dealing with the Canadian media.
I’d take living in Ottawa over Toronto anyday to be honest. I don’t think Toronto is what it used to be and it’s just getting worse IMO. Everyone has their own opinions on it though!

Reactions: supermann_98

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I dunno...I think there's a chance. His wife is from Oshawa (3 hours away from Ottawa) and his parents from Markham (3:30 away). If he's going to start a family, that distance (without crossing borders) is going to be important for extended family support.

Reactions: Sypher04

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't see the Sens doing that, not for Robertson and Lily. I'm thinking that would give them a middling prospect and like a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best.
That's what would be realistic value, but then you look outside your division for a like trade

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I’d take living in Ottawa over Toronto anyday to be honest. I don’t think Toronto is what it used to be and it’s just getting worse IMO. Everyone has their own opinions on it though!

I live in Ottawa and prefer it as well. But if I was in my 20s, didn't have kids, and made $11M a year, it'd definitely be Toronto!

The question also isn't Ottawa vs Toronto, but Ottawa vs the rest of the league. Marner has a NMC, and will presumably be very picky about where he goes. Ottawa would need to be on his shortlist for him to waive to go there.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I wouldn't choose Ottawa, but I also don't disagree with you when it comes to Toronto. It's also become a very dirty city. Garbage everywhere. The first sign of a city in decline is the amount of garbage on the streets. People litter everywhere without a second thought.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I live in Ottawa and prefer it as well. But if I was in my 20s, didn't have kids, and made $11M a year, it'd definitely be Toronto!

The question also isn't Ottawa vs Toronto, but Ottawa vs the rest of the league. Marner has a NMC, and will presumably be very picky about where he goes. Ottawa would need to be on his shortlist for him to waive to go there.
I agree, I don’t see Marner waiving to go to Ottawa. I think teams like LA, Seattle, Utah, Detroit, Dallas, Carolina and Nashville probably have the upper hand here.

If the Canes get knocked out, you’d think they’d be interested in making a big shakeup. I would love to do a deal around Marner for Svechnikov.

I’d sign Stephenson this summer as well and run a top six of:

Svechnikov - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Stephenson - Nylander

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad