HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
His situation is also very similar to Drouin's,No Thanks !
Not really, Drouin was traded for Sergachev. Still not proven player, he signed big contract, local guy who was portraited as new No. 1 center. On the other hand, Laine is much more proven and he will not cost a lot. Nobody sees him as some kind of savior. Monahan was not under pressure even if he earned 6M.
Thing is as soon as he's not scoring for 10 games the media will send him straight to the asylum lolll

Sad if you think about it...
Stupid Montreal media is always a huge question mark, but I think this is geting better as well with Chantal M.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Dvorak and 3 younger pieces might get it done. Would you do it? Seems to work for the Habs but my gut tells me the Jets are looking for a better piece at center (after Dvorak). I would say Mesar and Barron have solid close to NHL ready value. Jets 1st is back of the bus. This probably gets declined but not sure.

* Dvorak
* Jets 1st
* Mesar and Barron.
That is too much for Laine and all his issue- injuries, off- ice problems and huge salary. His value on the market is pretty low. I think they would accept Dvorak+ Jets 1st.

Reactions: Benstheman

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Laine during his time in Winter-peg expressed his desire to their beat writer (Murat Ates?), of not wanting to play in a hockey market, rather to follow fellow countrymen Selanne’s path of playing in Orange County where he could enjoy his surfing passion

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
7 more years at $8.5M. Doubt the Kings will want to retain that long. Nobody is trading for him without retention at this point.

Bad contract for bad contract? Even if we flip Gallagher and one of Dvorak/Armia, we would still be reaching due to the time left with Dubois. We know he is better than what he provided for the Kings this season but I'd let them drown with him at this stage.

I'd be interested but only if they we got at least $2M of retention. Kings won't do that.

People have to consider that they used Dubois on the 3rd line to create 3 good lines but Dubois is not one to lead a line. He's clearly better than what he provided this season and it seemed to have got worse for the Kings/Dubois as the season went along. Bad fit for the Kings who already had center depth.
Kings will probably have no choice but to retain on Dubois if they want to move on from him, which i think they do.

They will have a big decision to make this summer.
It will be their last opportunity to buy him out at 1/3 of his salary. After that it will go up to 2/3.
And he has a full NTC that kicks in this summer too.

If they buy him out this summer, it will cost them 28M total in cap space, spread over 14 seasons. Around 20M for the first 7 seasons, and 8M for the following 7 seasons because of bonuses.
If they buy him out next summer, it will cost them 38M over 12 seasons. So trying him out for another season and see if he can turn it around is a big risk for them.

If they retain 3M on him, for example, it costs them 21M over 7 seasons. It's a better option than buying him out.
Of course, they can bring that number down if more than one team are interested in acquiring him.

The Habs tried to get him the last two summers so they seem to like the player. Not sure that's still the case though.
But if the Kings are willing to retain 2.5-3M, it's something to think about.

I don't think trading Gallagher or Anderson for him works for either team.
Habs don't really need the cap space for the next 2-3 years but would rather save 3M for the last 4 years of his deal.
Kings probably want to make room now to get a good goalie while Kopitar and Doughty can still play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kings will probably have no choice but to retain on Dubois if they want to move on from him, which i think they do.

They will have a big decision to make this summer.
It will be their last opportunity to buy him out at 1/3 of his salary. After that it will go up to 2/3.
And he has a full NTC that kicks in this summer too.

If they buy him out this summer, it will cost them 28M total in cap space, spread over 14 seasons. Around 20M for the first 7 seasons, and 8M for the following 7 seasons because of bonuses.
If they buy him out next summer, it will cost them 38M over 12 seasons. So trying him out for another season and see if he can turn it around is a big risk for them.

If they retain 3M on him, for example, it costs them 21M over 7 seasons. It's a better option than buying him out.
Of course, they can bring that number down if more than one team are interested in acquiring him.

The Habs tried to get him the last two summers so they seem to like the player. Not sure that's still the case though.
But if the Kings are willing to retain 2.5-3M, it's something to think about.

I don't think trading Gallagher or Anderson for him works for either team.
Habs don't really need the cap space for the next 2-3 years but would rather save 3M for the last 4 years of his deal.
Kings probably want to make room now to get a good goalie while Kopitar and Doughty can still play.

I think the Kings will not like retaining for 7 more years. They will delay the decision because can Dubois's value get any worse?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
watch if the figs trade mitch, he will be a better player. just a hunch

with a NTC, the figs are stuck. then he comes up for a contract and the figs are screwed

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Maybe I'd agree the edge goes to Sandin but it's not a massive gap.

In the season Sandin was traded, he had 20 pts with 4 goals in 52 games (on a stacked team). Harris had 14 pts with 3 goals in 56 games last season (on a team that doesn't produce much offense).

1 goal and 6 points in the difference over 4 more games from Harris. And once again... playing on a team that is bottom 5 in offense.

Both have similar size and mobility.

That is too much for Laine and all his issue- injuries, off- ice problems and huge salary. His value on the market is pretty low. I think they would accept Dvorak+ Jets 1st.

I hope you are right but Laine is a 30+ goal threat and is still young. Not trending well yes but there is still value.

watch if the figs trade mitch, he will be a better player. just a hunch

with a NTC, the figs are stuck. then he comes up for a contract and the figs are screwed

What team does Marner waive for? Start there

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There’s will always be a GM out there who will look at the natural makeup of a 26 year old player w elite size + shot / release + proven NHL scoring track record, and think “Laine can be fixed on my team / system”

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I think the Kings will not like retaining for 7 more years. They will delay the decision because can Dubois's value get any worse?
Yes, i suppose they won't like it at all...lol
But they might not have a choice if they want to move on. That's a better alternative than buying him out, if that alternative is really out there.

In normal circumstances, i'd agree that delaying might be the best way. He turned it around in Winnipeg so he can do it again.
But Dubois really doesn't look like he fits well with the Kings and, like explained earlier, delaying could be even more costly for them if it doesn't work out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

In the season Sandin was traded, he had 20 pts with 4 goals in 52 games (on a stacked team). Harris had 14 pts with 3 goals in 56 games last season (on a team that doesn't produce much offense).

1 goal and 6 points in the difference over 4 more games from Harris. And once again... playing on a team that is bottom 5 in offense.

Sandin was younger, had a way better pedigree and have better offensive tools

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I'd say it's a pretty noticeable gap. Sandin did that at 22 while Harris is turning 24 in a couple of months.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd say it's a pretty noticeable gap. Sandin did that at 22 while Harris is turning 24 in a couple of months.

Debatable IMO. I'd give edge to Sandin. My gap is closer than yours.

* Sandin: 0.38 pts/game over 227 games (0.34 pts/game with the Leafs)
* Harris: 0.24 pts/game over 131 games

11 pts per 82 games in the difference and Harris has not played on a stacked offense and getting as much PP time as Sandin.

The main point here is Harris has more value than some think. I'm not that high on him like most are but I think we are a bit guilty of devaluing him due to how our overall depth on D looks.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What's the deal with Cole Perfetti with the Jets? Could he be an option for a deal with Barron+?
Bowness isn’t his biggest fan, likely due to his lack of size, would be a good target for HuGo - Chevaldayoff doesn’t give players away

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sandin was younger, had a way better pedigree and have better offensive tools

Nah, there is no "Way better" argument to be made. You are exaggerating the gap now. I'd say Harris is a notch below him and has not had the opportunity to play that offensive role because we are asking him to focus on other things.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

11 pts per 82 games in the difference and Harris has not played on a stacked offense and getting as much PP time as Sandin.

The main point here is Harris has more value than some think. I'm not that high on him like most are but I think we are a bit guilty of devaluing him due to how our overall depth on D looks.
Again, there’s the age difference at the time of the trade which you are ignoring. Right now I doubt Sandin nets a 1st.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not really, Drouin was traded for Sergachev. Still not proven player, he signed big contract, local guy who was portraited as new No. 1 center. On the other hand, Laine is much more proven and he will not cost a lot. Nobody sees him as some kind of savior. Monahan was not under pressure even if he earned 6M.

Stupid Montreal media is always a huge question mark, but I think this is geting better as well with Chantal M.
Teams have been having trouble with Laine for 6 years now. There’s a problem between the ears there. I doubt he’d have a target on his back the way Dubois would’ve if he acquired him, but I still don’t think this is a great place for that kind of a player.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

You can't just loot at the stats. GM gives lot of value to where a player was drafted when it comes to players who have not reached their prime yet.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can't just loot at the stats. GM gives lot of value to where a player was drafted when it comes to players who have not reached their prime yet.

I'm not only looking at stats. I just posted the stats as one angle.

How about you post the other things to support your stance? Fair is fair.

Again, there’s the age difference at the time of the trade which you are ignoring. Right now I doubt Sandin nets a 1st.

Sandin's stats are better with the Caps vs the Leafs bud.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm not only looking at stats. I just posted the stats as one angle.

How about you post the other things to support your stance? Fair is fair.

Sandin's stats are better with the Caps vs the Leafs bud.
I did. As i said in my post draft rank matters when it comes to young players. One was drafted 29th (1st round) overall the other 71st overall (3rd round).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad