Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Trading a player because you have to, then making the team a lot worse, and handcuffing them for 8 years.

These are the sorts of things I am worried about when we are forcing a trade, regardless of Treliving, although his trade is the perfect example.
Well, that's obviously not what you set out to do is it?

But, you're not worried by how they've played in multiple playoff rounds?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I disagree. IMO it's not all due to Keefe and his systems. A lot is the players the Leafs have. They have defensemen that can't move the puck very well and forwards who rarely drive the net. Systems are only as good as the players that execute it.

Then change the damn system so it helps the defenceman in the D zone, and plays to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the forwards. The cap structure necessitates a large number of "less expensive/talented" players, design a system that can be more easily executed without constant mistakes occurring.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well, that's obviously not what you set out to do is it?

But, you're not worried by how they've played in multiple playoff rounds?

I'm worried about a lot of things with the Leafs, but being forced to trade a player generally doesn't yield a great return (I am sure it can happen and has).

The most recent example of messing this up is our current GM, so it worries me.

He didn't mess them up for a year or two, he overpaid a player by what looks to be ~4 million, for 8 years and the player will be late 30s when it is done.

The current team is playing terribly and past performances are worrisome, just also worried about the above too.

Then change the damn system so it helps the defenceman in the D zone, and plays to the strengths (and weaknesses) of the forwards. The cap structure necessitates a large number of "less expensive/talented" players, design a system that can be more easily executed without constant mistakes occurring.

What system should we change to in the offensive zone? Because that is the biggest issue.

Our Ds are blackholes offensively, we needed help there, it was quite obvious, instead, we acquired guys who are good at cross-checking people.

Design a system that can be more easily executed. It sucks that we would need to design a system for slow players with low IQ, you'd think they would avoid that system.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I will personally ritually sacrifice several small rodents or one small domestic animal as necessary, who’s with me?
200w.gif

horner

May 22, 2007
Resigned that the Leafs will most likely lose the series, but get it to Game 7 and win one f@@#ing game at home for the fans spending thousands to watch you play.
No they won't it will end tomorrow night.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im convinced doesn't matter who we get, we ain't ever gonna have playoff success.

Hockey gods have cursed us. Its over

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm worried about a lot of things with the Leafs, but being forced to trade a player generally doesn't yield a great return (I am sure it can happen and has).

The most recent example of messing this up is our current GM, so it worries me.

He didn't mess them up for a year or two, he overpaid a player by what looks to be ~4 million, for 8 years and the player will be late 30s when it is done.

The current team is playing terribly and past performances are worrisome, just also worried about the above too.
Tavares has very little value at this point, and Marner has one year left. You're not going to get an ideal haul for them.

Worrying about that is pretty much moot.

Get the best deals you can for Marner, and hopefully, a team like Seattle or maybe now Utah wants to make a splash, but these moves are almost more about changing the dynamic of the team as they are what assets come back.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lou tried but Dubas destroyed whatever he built.
Yep

I can remember half this board losing their minds because Lou wouldn't allow long or facial hair, or Babcock demoting Nylander or Mitch when they were rookies.

Seemed like pointless, insignificant rules at the time to many. Maybe there was method to them.

Reactions: ToneDog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yep

I can remember half this board losing their minds because Lou wouldn't allow long or facial hair, or Babcock demoting Nylander or Mitch when they were rookies.

Seemed like pointless, insignificant rules at the time to many. Maybe there was method to them.

Babcock was too much of an egomaniac to me, but as a coach I think he had a great mind for hockey. He knew what he was doing. I bet he despised Dubas.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tavares has very little value at this point, and Marner has one year left. You're not going to get an ideal haul for them.

Worrying about that is pretty much moot.

Get the best deals you can for Marner, and hopefully, a team like Seattle or maybe now Utah wants to make a splash, but these moves are almost more about changing the dynamic of the team as they are what assets come back.

I am not worried about losing the player, I am worried about making a deal like the Huberdeau one where you have a worse player coming back that you have to sign because of optics, so now you've made your team worse by making the trade, and for a long time.

Something like moving Marner and then signing Reinhart to a bloated contract because of his one good season would worry me, and that is the sort of thing I think would happen.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Design a system that can be more easily executed. It sucks that we would need to design a system for slow players with low IQ, you'd think they would avoid that system.

It sucks that around 58% of our cap is allocated to 5 players, and they need to rely on acquiring players that are not that talented, but that's the reality of the situation. So if Keefe can't figure out how to design something that takes that into account, find someone that can.

VGK took an entire team of cast offs to the SCF in their first year of existence. A group of guys that were deemed expendable and had NEVER played together before. It can be done

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOne

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Mathews getting sick at the wrong time. Nylander getting a migraine at the wrong time.

This franchise is cursed. I see no ways around it. Like something just sucks

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yep

There was no method - it was driven by power & ego, and it amounted to nothing for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad