Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Maybe because from the top on down, everybody knew they would get beat out in the 1st round, and Matthews' and Nylander's records would somehow ease that. With the way from ownership on down to management have run this team while keeping the core intact, does that seem so hard to believe???
I believe then when Keefe, Treliving, and Shanny say that playoffs are important that they are being sincere. I don't think any team plans on losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: Jojalu

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The Sheldon Keefe legacy.

Other teams capitalizing on Leaf errors has beat them in every series.
  • horrible line change vs CBJ
  • Galch "pass" vs MTL
  • Dermott spinarama vs MTL
  • Kerfoot drop pass vs TBL
  • Kerfoot high stick vs TBL
  • Holl "pick" vs TBL
  • Marner / Matthews zone exit vs FLA
and that's just a few of the egregious ones

There is one thing that is coaching in this, maybe 2...

Seems like a personnel issue, although Keefe gets all the blame.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hope it's for real this time and not some bullshit lip service like last year. f*** Shanahan
Where does Elliotte hear these things? Genuinely curious. Or is that just his belief?

It's both. These people know a lot of people around the team, in the team and around the league. Sometimes the leaks are on purpose (team/league) sometimes it's just the vibes, reading between the lines and all that jazz.

Johnston 2 or 3 years ago said something similar, mostly about the Leafs making a big trade/change after flaming out early, and they ended up keeping the course. So it can be wrong sometimes.

But I don't think it takes an insider to know that losing in the first round again is likely going to bring in many changes.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The best outcome here is we go down swinging. If we hope to recoup some draft capital to replenish giving up the entire 2025 draft picks, hopefully we show something here and not completely tank our value.
Better push it a couple more games because losing Tuesday night would be an ugly end to the season.

I believe the random injuries and lineup fluctuations affected our quality of play. We could beat this Boston team but they are in a groove defensively and clicking.

Our team could only dream of being as well oiled as the Bruins are right now. I'm not sure if it's Keefe or just circumstance but we never hit the playoffs on a roll.

Hoping for a game 7.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree with the effort - I'm never going to question their desire to want to win or the effort they put into this. I just don't think they are good enough, or mentally strong enough.

The idea that anyone, this deep into this gong show, could still retain 10% belief, is insane to me. But we all fan in our own way, so fair play to you.

I have tickets to a possible game 6.

I don't want a game 6. Just rip off the bandad and let's be done with this "Shanaplan" nonsense once and for all.
You couldn't pay me to go to Game 6.
Seen them eliminated live too many times.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh I agree. I was being facetious. They think it is important, but Shanny and Keefe have no clue what kind of team is needed for the playoffs.
Versteeg said it best. This team has no identity or culture and that comes from the top. Lou tried but Dubas destroyed whatever he built.

Bunkis said, first thing Shanny did after firing Dubas was to call the core 4 and tell them they were safe. Zero accountability.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would you agree that it has to be ECF at the bare minimum for anyone to survive?

If the impossible happens and the Leafs come back to get by Bos just to be ousted easily by Florida that can't be enough no?

It might be enough at a certain level, but I don't think it'd be enough for Keefe.

Reactions: ToneDog and Jojalu

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Versteeg said it best. This team has no identity or culture and that comes from the top. Lou tried but Dubas destroyed whatever he built.

Bunkis said, first thing Shanny did after firing Dubas was to call the core 4 and tell them they were safe. Zero accountability.

Shanahan was a mean SOB on the ice, but as an executive he is soft. How can he watch this and say that’s how playoffs should be played?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
This place is gonna be epic Tuesday around 10pm. Be here or be nowhere
In the past elimination nights I have to ghost the main boards and social media because it's too much. But some of the stuff posted here after playoff exits is gold. Some of the pictures and posts you guys make hit the spot when I'm feeling so low after another failure season.

Mess posted this sarcastic picture about Woll winning the Conn Smythe after 1 playoff win last year that had me howling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad