Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hertl 17% retained, 2025 3rd, 2027 3rd to Vegas for C David Edstrom, 2025 1st

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
So you're saying the worst goalies in the league never get shutouts or never have a good stretch of games?
No, I'm saying the worst goalies in the league don't go on 20 game playoff runs where they exceed league average save percentage by a full percentage point in 40% of their appearances

Jones eroded much further as the 2020s rolled on, but he wasn't close to the worst goalie in the league in 2019, he was below average on aggregate but also put up insane performances in clutch moments

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Even the absolute worst goalies in the NHL have good games.
That's Jones to a T. Remember when Toronto fans were crowing over getting Jones on an AHL deal for a couple of weeks this year? Or when people said he was turning a corner in Philadelphia, or Seattle, or his last year in San Jose?

Martin Jones does that every year - looks like a good goalie for a brief period, before reverting to unplayably awful, because he's not an NHL goalie. Even minor league goalies can have good games in the NHL.

I just don't understand why people always have to rush to defend Jones. He's awful, abysmal, and a pain to watch.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
That's Jones to a T. Remember when Toronto fans were crowing over getting Jones on an AHL deal for a couple of weeks this year? Or when people said he was turning a corner in Philadelphia, or Seattle, or his last year in San Jose?

Martin Jones does that every year - looks like a good goalie for a brief period, before reverting to unplayably awful, because he's not an NHL goalie. Even minor league goalies can have good games in the NHL.

I just don't understand why people always have to rush to defend Jones. He's awful, abysmal, and a pain to watch.
There are people with more clout than you that think differently.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
There are people with more clout than you that think differently.
There are people with more clout than me that think a lot of dumb things. If I think they're wrong, I could care less about their authority.

Jones' one valuable trait is his size, but that doesn't make him a better option as a minor league depth goalie than a dozen or more other guys, and it certainly doesn't make him an NHL-quality goaltender in any capacity. He's immobile, has a weak glove, is prone to blowing low-quality shots, and can't play the puck. He's big and can kind of play an adequate positional game (but because he's slow and not very technically sound, he's easy to work out of position), but any real pressure and he's likely to cave.

There's a reason he was signed to an AHL deal. The people with clout weren't willing to give him a guaranteed job.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
There are people with more clout than me that think a lot of dumb things. If I think they're wrong, I could care less about their authority.

Jones' one valuable trait is his size, but that doesn't make him a better option as a minor league depth goalie than a dozen or more other guys, and it certainly doesn't make him an NHL-quality goaltender in any capacity. He's immobile, has a weak glove, is prone to blowing low-quality shots, and can't play the puck. He's big and can kind of play an adequate positional game (but because he's slow and not very technically sound, he's easy to work out of position), but any real pressure and he's likely to cave.

There's a reason he was signed to an AHL deal. The people with clout weren't willing to give him a guaranteed job.
Nothing you claim or say changes the fact that he backstopped our Sharks to the only appearance in the NHL championships. That is a fact.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Nothing you claim or say changes the fact that he backstopped our Sharks to the only appearance in the NHL championships. That is a fact.
That means nothing in 2024. It didn't mean anything in 2019 either. He was bad then, he has been bad ever since. I never want to see him again, except on the opposing team and then to send him packing after scoring six goals in the first period (preferably including one rolling slowly through a gap).

Reactions: karltonian

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’m not moving anything..
This is literally moving the goal posts

The discussion pertained to Jones' performance in the 2019 playoffs, pointing to his performance 3 years earlier before his groin injury, before the league changed pad sizes and before his big contract extension doesn't justify an analysis of his play after all of those factors came into play

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
He also had 9 games above a .920 including the insane game 6 where he had 58 saves on 59 shots for a .983
as someone who bet their life savings multiple times on a Jones comebank season, that was one of the most shocking performances I've ever seen

even as a huge Jones fan, i was 1000% sure and also on board that he needed to be benched for that game, and then he goes and pulls that performance out of his ass

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
When I remember Joner it's always the 5-hole, weak ass, trickling in goals he allowed to start the game that come rushing to the forefront.

A very bad, and deflating and disheartening way to start a game for a team that's expected to be a cup contender.

To get back to topic, both Hertl and Vegas can f*** right off.

I'm a Sharks fan, not a Hertl fanboy. All the players are pretty much just mercenaries after their ELC. It's not that I don't enjoy their personalities, but I know not to get too attached. I don't actually blame them, it's a symptom of capitalism and just plain being a human being and needing to get all the money possible, as fast as possible, presumably with a goal of living a life w/o need to do things for money any more.

Hertl was the last jersey I had w/ a current member of the team, like someone else pointed out in a previous post. Thinking of going Vlasic because I don't have one yet, the Seals-style rev retro is very appealing as is the new black fin thing. Part of me is holding out for a Celebrini.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
When I remember Joner it's always the 5-hole, weak ass, trickling in goals he allowed to start the game that come rushing to the forefront.

A very bad, and deflating and disheartening way to start a game for a team that's expected to be a cup contender.

I'm a Sharks fan, not a Hertl fanboy. All the players are pretty much just mercenaries after their ELC. It's not that I don't enjoy their personalities, but I know not to get too attached. I don't actually blame them, it's a symptom of capitalism and just plain being a human being and needing to get all the money possible, as fast as possible, presumably with a goal of living a life w/o need to do things for money any more.

Hertl was the last jersey I had w/ a current member of the team, like someone else pointed out in a previous post. Thinking of going Vlasic because I don't have one yet, the Seals-style rev retro is very appealing as is the new black fin thing. Part of me is holding out for a Celebrini.
How I feel. It's been nothing but Hertl Vegas videos on my timeline with him fellating that organization. Good on him I guess, but now he's just another player on a team I hate. I don't really care what happens with him now.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
How I feel. It's been nothing but Hertl Vegas videos on my timeline with him fellating that organization. Good on him I guess, but now he's just another player on a team I hate. I don't really care what happens with him now.

Social media is the real killer. If you can't look at your fb or insta or twitter or whatever w/o seeing things that cause you pain or issues then maybe you should skip it all together. What's the point?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

lmfao I remember literally every GDT, page 1 would be everyone "joking" about how Jones would let in the first goal within 60-90 seconds... and it became true like every game lol

Hertl leaving for Vegas def feels different from Jumbo, Marleau, Pavs, and even Timo and Burns leaving imo... none of them went to teams that were clearly bitter rivals (although wasn't there a rumor of Jumbo talking to the Kings during one of his free agency years, although not sure if that was every confirmed)... I can imagine it's what oklahoma city fans felt when KD went to the warriors

also, public announcement: I'm no longer mad @ GMMG it's like a load off of my shoulders... god has granted me the serenity...

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It's not surprising, he clearly chose to go to Vegas and waived the NMC to go there. Wish him the best of luck, but I won't feel bad if he doesn't win shit on that team lol.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Social media is the real killer. If you can't look at your fb or insta or twitter or whatever w/o seeing things that cause you pain or issues then maybe you should skip it all together. What's the point?

That is what I tell my wife, it never makes her happy, so why look....

But "outraged" is the new "happy"!!

I read it on faceBook, someone's mom posted it so you know it's the truth. :sarcasm:

Removing mass social media from my life* is easily one of the best things I’ve done. It’s easy to not notice how much of a time sync it is, hard to really understand just how disproportionate the outrage to joy ratio is, and very noticeable just how much you don’t miss “the feed”. Endless scroll is a dark pattern.

*I still maintain largely inactive accounts because Facebook marketplace is a shockingly good alternative to Craigslist and my job requires that I be up to date on current UX trends; which unfortunately means I have to log in from time to time to audit a particular feature.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
That blowing low quality shots has been a thing for him from day 1 also, and if he never did that he would have been a much better goalie through his career.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
lmfao I remember literally every GDT, page 1 would be everyone "joking" about how Jones would let in the first goal within 60-90 seconds... and it became true like every game lol

Hertl leaving for Vegas def feels different from Jumbo, Marleau, Pavs, and even Timo and Burns leaving imo... none of them went to teams that were clearly bitter rivals (although wasn't there a rumor of Jumbo talking to the Kings during one of his free agency years, although not sure if that was every confirmed)... I can imagine it's what oklahoma city fans felt when KD went to the warriors

also, public announcement: I'm no longer mad @ GMMG it's like a load off of my shoulders... god has granted me the serenity...
Yah, I think I was considering asking about adding "how long until there's a Joner goal" for the SNOG situation during that time. It was soooo bad.

I'm not sure we have a rivalry with Vegas anymore.

Like a Frosted Mini-Wheat... the frosted side of me says, "LALALALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! LALALALA!!" But, the whole wheat side of me says, "Sharks are so much worse than The VeeGees that I can't call them rivals. The talent gap is waay too big..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad