Pre-Game Talk: Time to Shine - Edm Van tomorrow 8 PM (puck drop at midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That Ekholm trade had Brad Holland written all over it. From the trading of a liked player to acquiring an analytically good player. It’s so out of Ken’s repertoire of trades we have seen from him.

Even being on this bad teams- he’s underlying metrics are worlds better than Ceci. The choice of playing Ceci over Stetcher is just purely a loyalty one.
I think you seriously over value and over state the contribution of Holland Jr. both the person and the subordinate reality of the position within a professional business. The Oilers were always prioritizing a top 4 d man and it's clear as the market sorted it was Ekholm or Chychrun. The issue was money out to make any deal happen. That's all the decision making purvue of a GM to make and Holland's made big ones over twenty five years doing the gig. Holland had to build up quality support in all areas following the carpet bombing work of Chiarelli. That involved spending big money of guys and the later stage putting their first round pick(s) on the table.

You can't also cherry pick and divorce Jr. from bad organizational decisions based up professional scouting like the debacle Campbell free agency bet on the guy he would have saw a ton playing in his home base city. Or Henrique and Carrick with multiple needs and few assets and no cap to work from. The juice of a professional scouting group is to find latent, unrealized potential to improve a team. They continue to be light in this regard. The obvious stuff is hey we like Zach Hyman, that Ekholm guy is pretty good but so is Chychrun. Where's this team's Dakota Joshua types?

JR. has a light resume but good with self promotion doing the media rounds as a middle manager. He's been adequate but hardly a world beater finding this team hidden gems with latent potential that separate good or adequate from great pro scouting organizations. Ken Holland has hits and big misses but they're all his finger on the trigger, not some middle managers regardless of surname.

Reactions: fuswald

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Where did you hear this? I wouldn't mind just about anyone over Ceci right now. This includes Stetcher, Broberg or Kemp. If Broberg ups his game like Holloway has suddenly we are a much better team.
Ceci is imperfect. Was bad last night. But he still delivered 2:49 PK minutes in a very tight game that included shutting down a 4 minute double minor. The Oilers are rolling out the #2 playoff PK at 87.5% behind the Rangers. None of those you list can walk into this highly contested series to replace this critical team need. Knoblauch further shows his commitment to the supression side of playoff hockey with dressing forward PK options Brown and Ryan over offensive options.

More likely Knoblauch will continue to tinker with deployment pairings and in-game situational play with the six established d-men that he and his staff trust.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ceci is imperfect. Was bad last night. But he still delivered 2:49 PK minutes in a very tight game that included shutting down a 4 minute double minor. The Oilers are rolling out the #2 playoff PK at 87.5% behind the Rangers. None of those you list can walk into this highly contested series to replace this critical team need. Knoblauch further shows his commitment to the supression side of playoff hockey with dressing forward PK options Brown and Ryan over offensive options.

More likely Knoblauch will continue to tinker with deployment pairings and in-game situational play with the six established d-men that he and his staff trust.
So like how Connor Brown mattered so much to the PK throughout the season, right?

I do not give a shit that he did ok on the PK, he's terrible and HAS to come out.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Describe horrendous.. People tend to see what they want to see.. Nurse managed to play through that whole game without registering a single hit, has been taking stupid penalties , had only 16mins TOi and was a minus 2.

Ceci played over 18mins and was solid aside from normal screw ups. Don't think I'm convincing anyone here that Ceci is alright but last night he was good enough.

Doesn't matter, you ride Pickard til he loses a game.
that fozzy fella gets all outta whack when u dont agree with him. Classic Narcissist if I ever seen one. Big talker who likes to report ya

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So like how Connor Brown mattered so much to the PK throughout the season, right?

I do not give a shit that he did ok on the PK, he's terrible and HAS to come out.
Not my coaching decisions. Brown was #2 (haha) in forward PK minutes last night. Maybe that changes if a healthy Henrique comes back (I'm skeptical we'll see Henrique back).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not my coaching decisions. Brown was #2 (haha) in forward PK minutes last night. Maybe that changes if a healthy Henrique comes back (I'm skeptical we'll see Henrique back).
I guess missing and ignoring my point makes sense.

I don't care that Cody Ceci is the 4th option for the PK and did ok. He's been garbage and making everyone around him garbage, he needs to come out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I guess missing and ignoring my point makes sense.

I don't care that Cody Ceci is the 4th option for the PK and did ok. He's been garbage and making everyone around him garbage, he needs to come out.
Cooking supper and replying I thought you were talking about Brown. Regardless I don't think Knoblauch touches the d-core that essentially shutdown the Canucks in a critical game for 50 minutes. Empty net good fortune aside. All I can offer beyond the opinion I've given and rationalle I've posed based on their roster decisions. Call Knoblauch and see if you can convince him.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
No, he's reminding me of Hemsky again. Not shooting and pass,pass, pass..
His skating in the offensive zone was outlandishly great last game and he always had an outlet, sometimes he even had three outlets. This is a new wrinkle to his game. It was outstanding.

Nuge had his best game of the playoffs.

Kane had his third great game of the playoffs.

Draisaitl and Ekholm were great, like in every single game of the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: bobbythebrain

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Daily reminder that this team has amazing defense and only needs average goaltending to win:

recxk6ai4p0d1.png

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Daily reminder that this team has amazing defense and only needs average goaltending to win:

View attachment 871474
These are more indictments on #74. Thank God Pickard came in cool as a cucumber and backstopped the team to a pretty big win. Pickard might be another one of those late bloomer types so if he could be our Roloson, I’d be cool with that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Winner of this game most likely takes the series. Win and end it in home boys.

Reactions: Skar

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What the hell do they see in Ceci.

Think it's more about Holland endlessly handcuffing himself and having to just keep settling on past bad bets because he lacks the creativity to fix his own mistakes.

The "the players like him!" crap was just a way to excuse Holland doing nothing.

Maybe you mean Knob to some degree though? It is a bit disappointing he hasn't tried Stecher. I dunno if Knob is caught up in some leadership/chemistry thing with Ceci in the room as well. It was really up to the GM to properly fix the D issue. Stecher is not a sure thing upgrade, especially after how long he's been out of game action. Needed a real fix that would be playing since Feb/March.

Last edited:

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
Bouchard had his third excellent game of the playoffs, his first against Vancouver. and was playing with spectacular confidence which is what he needs to do to take that next step. He needs to play with that confidence every single game from here on out.

My first playoff game live and I think my butt finally unclenched

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad