Three teams in the second round currently trail in their series - 1-3 or 2-3 - who comes back to win? Boston/Colorado/Carolina?

Do any of Boston, Carolina or Colorado complete a comeback and win their round 2 series?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So after Edmonton won game 4 last night, Vancouver/Edmonton are now tied 2-2. Every other series however has a clear leader however.

Which of the teams currently down in their series do you think will come back and win?

1. Boston vs Florida. This one has been a strange dynamic. Almost everyone on HF expected Florida to steamroll Boston...yet Boston had a dominating win in game 1. From there though - Florida seemed in complete control winning the next 3...until they lost game 5. Series heads back to Boston for game 6 - will Bostom return the favor on Florida from last year, and manage to come back from a 1-3 deficit to win the series?

2. Carolina vs Rangers. This one seemed like a close matchup going in....yet Rangers continued their dominance from round 1 and went up 3-0. I don't think many people saw that one coming after 3 games. Both games 4 and 5 were close, and Rangers had the chance to win both games late in the game, but of course they lost and it's now 3-2 with Carolina home for game 6. Carolina is an extremely deep team, and momentum seems to be on their side - will they complete the reverse sweep and eliminate the Rangers?

3. Colorado vs Dallas. This was expected to be a battle of titans and certainly started that way....but it's now 3-1 Dallas and they can end it at home in game 5. Nichushkin got suspended for 6 months before game 4....MacKinnon/Makar/Rantanen who had been dominating have a combined 2 points and -17 in last 3 games...everything is going wrong for Colorado. But this is a core who has won a cup and proven they can compete in playoffs....do they pull off the comeback and win in 7?

Make your prediction - which of these 3 teams among Boston, Carolina and Colorado will complete a comeback?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
All 3 could. I don’t know that any do though.

Carolina has a good chance if the PP even gets back to their usual playoff standard.

Colorado could if their top line gets going

Boston could if swayman continues to bail them out.

Looking at the 3 scenarios, Carolina has the easiest scenario to fix / maintain.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I think Carolina has the best chance of the 3. The Bruins just don't have the offensive firepower, the Avs lost some key guys that hurt their chances.

Reactions: I am not exposed

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I don't see any of them completing the comeback (at least I hope not!). I think the Rangers get their act together and close it out tomorrow in Raleigh. Dallas will close it out at home tonight, and Florida will close it out in Boston.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For the sake of making a pick I'm going to say Boston.

I know once you're at 3-2 it doesn't matter how you got there, but somehow it does when you're talking about coming back from 0-3. It just isn't that common. So in a vacuum I'd say Carolina has a better chance than Boston, there's just something difficult about a reverse sweep.

It'd be an interesting prediction to say Colorado will use the Nichushkin situation to galvanize the group but I just don't see it.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
Well I'm wearing black today to mourn the end of the Avs season which 100% ends today....

Carolina is my pick although I think all the teams up 3 ice it in the next game.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Boston will have a good chance at getting to 7 but it may be too difficult for them to win three straight as they just dont have the firepower. If the defense plays like they did last night and Swayman continues to be lights out its certainly possible. but if the Panthers get more than 3 in a game its likely not going to happen. Interesting fact someone on the bruins board brought up, Bruins as a franchise have never lost 4 straight home playoff games to one team until this year, gotta imagine they will push hard to make sure it doesnt go to 5.

Idk about Colorado losing Nichushkin and if Toews is out sick a while or playing less than 100% it may be too much. Dallas looks like the team to beat this year.

Carolina 100% is the one I think will happen, that NYR team, presidents trophy and all just seems beatable and the Canes are too good 5v5 and especially at home to not win in 6 and put doubt in the Rangers locker room. Goaltending will be the difference maker.

so hard to win 3/4 in a row in the playoffs that none of them could do it, but the drama makes for a more compelling 2nd round.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Carolina has the best chance. But it's not a high percentage chance. I don't see a scenario where Andersen can outduel Shesterkin two more times.

I'd be absolutely stunned if Colorado or Boston pulled it off. Like shocked beyond belief type shocked.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
All three have a shot but I don't think any will.

I don't really have any reasoning for NYR-CAR as they're both phenomenal teams and all the games have been close, besides game 5. Coin flip every game.

Colorado is so explosive that you can never count them out, but not sure I trust Georgiev enough to win 3 straight, and/or Otter to lose 3 straight.

Marchand hopefully coming back will be big for Boston. They're completely outmatched offensively but Swayman is perfectly capable of being near-unbeatable for 2 games. But he'll need to be that or they're done Friday.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carolina basically lost 3 coin-flips in a row, so while completing the task ahead of them will be difficult, the score of the series never seemed particularly representative of any significant gap in performance between the two teams.

The other series, the score feels more representative of the teams’ performance, so it feels more likely the leader will close them out.

At the end of the day, the safe money is on all the series leaders, but I think Carolina has the best chance to buck the odds.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Based on series play you would have to give Carolina the best chance. Being down 0-3 after the first 3 games, each one was super tight and with a bit of puck luck one way or the other they could have been leading that series 3-0 instead.

Bruins got legitimately smoked in games 2-3 and Dallas has won convincingly in a few games.

I can see Boston and/or Carolina pushing it 7 and then at that point who knows what happens, but Colorado would need to do a 180 to get back into this series with Dallas.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I hope Colorado doesn't, but even as a Stars fan their chances are higher than the other 2 teams. Hintz out now for Dallas, some off games for Oettinger and this could be a very easy series to blow. I don't expect Colorado's superstars to stay quiet. Once they get going I don't see them stopping. Very crucial that Dallas closes this out tonight

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I hope Colorado doesn't, but even as a Stars fan their chances are higher than the other 2 teams. Hintz out now for Dallas, some off games for Oettinger and this could be a very easy series to blow. I don't expect Colorado's superstars to stay quiet. Once they get going I don't see them stopping. Very crucial that Dallas closes this out tonight

You'd assume DeBoer would tell the team today, you saw or probably saw or know what NYR/FLA did, please do not bring that same level of effort tonight and we should be fine. Often times being the last team to take the ice in the playoffs when others have failed in the same spot as you motivates you more

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Carolina has the best chance and Colorado has the least chance. That being said, I don't think any of them will come back.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean... just the fact that they are down 3-1 makes it less likely for the Avs. Then add in the fact that they have been the least competitive of the 3 teams throughout their respective series I don't see how anyone would put them as 'most likely'.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I just don't see Rangers losing 4 straight. I CAN see Carolina winning tomorrow...but it's a wrap from there. I also think Avs lose next game, and Boston wins in 7.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
There’s always a good chance of blowing a significant series lead when it comes to New York. Boston sealed their fate when they lost Game 4. Colorado is toast. All three up right now likely close it out in their very next game, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Rangers crumble away either.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I voted for Boston and Carolina both coming back, because I want a Bruins / Canes series after reading posts about how the Rangers / Panthers series should be good.

Yeah, I know me wanting it to happen doesn't make it probable, but I gotta believe.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Boston is 0-25 - ugh - in series where they were down 3-1. I would love to believe in miracles, but this one would be a major one. Not going to happen.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted yesterday only Colorado will win and I'm sticking to it. They've now leveled the playing field with the other 2, as all teams are down 2-3, versus 1-3.

I think Boston pulls a Toronto - makes it to 7 and loses, just because.

Carolina....Rangers are too strong. I see them winning in 6. It's been a close series, you can probably ratonalize an argument where you say it should be 5-0 for either team instead of 3-2 now...but in the end Rangers win.

I like Colorado's core a lot though. MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen...they had a big game 5, and I say it continues and it pulls them through Dallas in 7.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Bruins maybe the weakest team of the three, but they have the best goalie by far. If Swayman can turn into a wall, they have a puncher's chance (especially if Pastrnak and McAvoy wake up).

Carolina has a good team and could do it, but the mental grind of coming from 0-3 and facing Shestyerkin in the Garden for a game seven is a tall task

Colorado has elite talent but Dallas does too, I think they have the hardest odds of the three.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Boston is 0-25 - ugh - in series where they were down 3-1. I would love to believe in miracles, but this one would be a major one. Not going to happen.

Well, if you like at it like that then sure. But what is their record when they are down 3-2? It’s not 0 for, that’s for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad