OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I was always partial to YYZ by Rush. I never quite learned to play it right.

I haven't touched a bass in close to 8 years by now. I was never much good but it's disappointing to think I probably won't re-enter that phase of my life. Maybe once I have older kids they will wants to learn and that would be a good excuse to bust them out of storage.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sometimes I tie a fly that I know is going to get eaten. It's not that it's tied particularly well or there is anything special about it....It just has a little magic.

IMG_20240515_113827836.jpg

IMG_20240515_113940061.jpg

Reactions: njdevils1982

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I was always partial to YYZ by Rush. I never quite learned to play it right.

I haven't touched a bass in close to 8 years by now. I was never much good but it's disappointing to think I probably won't re-enter that phase of my life. Maybe once I have older kids they will wants to learn and that would be a good excuse to bust them out of storage.
I have no musical talent whatsoever. I can't even play air guitar. I still have stray thoughts about buying one and taking some lessons now that my youngest is off to college and I have some time to do things I want after work.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I have no musical talent whatsoever. I can't even play air guitar. I still have stray thoughts about buying one and taking some lessons now that my youngest is off to college and I have some time to do things I want after work.

here's lesson one:

buy a guitar. learn to tune it.

look up chord charts and learn the basics. play every day for at least 20 minutes (if your fingers can handle that at the beginning...dont force yourself)...and play every day for weeks ...minimum 20 minutes to build up finger strength ....

start with simple like playing between two chords say, E to A or G to C..

get used to the basic chords and listen to how they sound in relation to each other.

it's how i learned guitar. self taught. grabbed a chord chart and went ... start with the major and minor chords .....specifically the ones that are refer to as "open chords"

do this: E, A, D, C, G, Em, Am and Dm. .... pick a few and learn to alternate....mix 'em up.

lessons might focus on theory (which can be good) but if you're just wanting to learn to play and enjoy it ....that shit is for the conservatory.... you're not going to want to learn staff reading. its a guitar. just play it, right. dont waste money on theory lessons at first.

....also there is option of rental if you dont want to buy and just try ... the three shops near me (not mom and pops places) all do daily, weekly, monthly rental and all at fair prices.

///

its been since '90 or '91 ive been playing.....you should do it.

and here i am this summer planning to build an acoustic guitar from 50 year old wood.

...again. give it a shot. why the f*** not?

lesson two awaits you.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
here's lesson one:

look up chord charts and learn the basics. play every day for at least 20 minutes (if your fingers can handle that at the beginning...dont force yourself)...and play every day for weeks ...minimum 20 minutes to build up finger strength ....

get used to the basic chords and listen to how they sound in relation to each other.

it's how i learned guitar. self taught. grabbed a chord chart and went ... start with the major and minor chords .....specifically the ones that are refer to as "open chords"

do this: E, A, D, C, G, Em, Am and Dm. .... pick a few and learn to alternate....mix 'em up.

lessons might focus on theory (which can be good) but if you're just wanting to learn to play and enjoy it ....that shit is for the conservatory.... you're not going to want to learn staff reading. its a guitar. just play it, right. dont waste money on theory lessons at first.

....also there is option of rental if you dont want to buy and just try ... the three shops near me (not mom and pops places) all do daily, weekly, monthly rental and all at fair prices.

///

and here i am this summer planning to build an acoustic guitar from 50 year old wood.

lesson two awaits you.

I was mediocre at Guitar Hero so I can’t imagine I’ll ever master hammer on and off

Reactions: Bleedred

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Why was a golfer allowed to hit a police officer with his car and then released a few hours later?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
So many good bass lines but this is one of my favorites. Robert Deleo is super talented, pretty much wrote all of STPs hits, bass and guitar parts, and he’s from Jersey.

his solo album that he put out like late last year/early this year is *chefs kiss*

Don't see STP now. Without Scott (RIP) it just sounds like a glorified cover band. STP should have went the way of AIC and got someone who didn't sound identical to the original lead singer. Alice in Chains got away with it because Duvall makes those songs his own. This new guy with STP is trying too much to be Scott Jr.

Also the new albums just sound like phoned in crap.

Reactions: JK3 and Bleedred

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
here's lesson one:

///

lesson two awaits you.

I Have strong fingers but not by playing guitar

Reactions: My3Sons

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
his solo album that he put out like late last year/early this year is *chefs kiss*

Don't see STP now. Without Scott (RIP) it just sounds like a glorified cover band. STP should have went the way of AIC and got someone who didn't sound identical to the original lead singer. Alice in Chains got away with it because Duvall makes those songs his own. This new guy with STP is trying too much to be Scott Jr.

Yeah I’m not a big fan of the new guy at all, especially trying to sing and act like Scott. They did a side project with from Richard Patrick from Filter that was really good, he would have been a good replacement.

You should check out Robert’s interview with Rick Beato about the band and how they wrote and recorded their albums, it’s really good.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My wife and my youngest brought home a kitten yesterday. The dogs don’t know what to make of this new scrawny dog.

I couldn’t have a cat even if I wanted one. Both of my dogs hate cats and would attack it on sight. My mother in law is allergic to cats, and my mom has a severe phobia.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I couldn’t have a cat even if I wanted one. Both of my dogs hate cats and would attack it on sight. My mother in law is allergic to cats, and my mom has a severe phobia.
My wife grew up with a bunch of them. We have goldens so they are good with pretty much anything. I’m not a cat guy but she is very sweet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think bands do this for money and to stay relevant.

If the remaining STP three played shows with a new singer but under the name of something else or even just called themselves the DeLeo's, they wouldn't get the same guarantee or even rates in the same universe as when they're playing as Stone Temple Pilots with Not Scott Weiland singing.

The name Stone Temple Pilots guarantees them being booked for bigger venues and getting probably several hundred thousand dollars to play those rock festival gigs, rather than a measly $40k under some other name.

A lot of bands are beyond lucky and blessed to get $40k for a festival appearance, but guys who have made millions per year for the last 30+ years like them probably don't wanna walk away with just a couple thousand dollars a piece to play one of those festivals after the transportation, crew, booking/management costs, etc.

I'm sure when they played as (I don't remember the name of the band) with the Patrick guy in the 00s before the eventual Weiland reunion of the band, when he was off playing with Slash/the ex-GNR guys, they were probably like ''This f***in sucks! I'm glad we got money in the bank and a nice net worth from 15 years of STP! Because this pays SHIT for what we're used to!'', even despite the fact that the singer also came from a semi-popular band prior. The money was probably too good when they got back with Scott Weiland. I'm sure that was a motivating factor, though I'd bet he made more money with Slash and Duff than the other STP three made in their venture.

I have several friends in the music industry, so I know a little about these things and about the costs of touring and booking, etc. I find it all fascinating and it's actually fun to talk about. I would totally be down to do roadie work for a band, but I'm not good enough to do that stuff,

It's certainly some life. Even if you're not making a shit ton of money doing it.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Is it a holiday in the great white north?

"may 24" weekend... monday holiday because a case of beer has 24 bottles....victoria day weekend

....most people "go and open up their cottage" for the season... or "get out of the city"

i do shit around here and go to crown land when there isn't a mass exodus north from city folk

...and i can go for as many days as i please. not just one extra day...

and zero f***ing traffic.....

lemming sheep gather to enjoy an extra 24 hours of life together.

insanity.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
a triple moscow mule to end the evening.

so cold the ginger beer was slush as i poured it from the freezer. and quality stuff $2.20 a bottle/355ml (with no booze!)..... none of that f***ing generic or brand name shit... half the sugar as a 'regular' pop....or soda....or whatever you desire to call a carbonated and sweet beverage.

it has a nice bite.

My3Sons

Sponsor
a triple moscow mule to end the evening.

so cold the ginger beer was slush as i poured it from the freezer. and quality stuff $2.20 a bottle/355ml (with no booze!)..... none of that f***ing generic or brand name shit... half the sugar as a 'regular' pop....or soda....or whatever you desire to call a carbonated and sweet beverage.

it has a nice bite.
My middle son is a Moscow Mule guy. My oldest is a Manhattan or Old Fashioned guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad