Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We have been cursed with a lot of bad luck and bad outcomes with other prospects but with Slafkovsky, if he is the exception and he will continue his growth trajectory, it will be truly amazing.

When people say luck plays a factor in winning the Cup, this is the sort of luck that is unheralded but just as important as lucky bounces. A 1OA who starts poorly, gets injured, starts the next season even worse and then just takes off... that's amazing. He's played very well and he will be a force in the league if he keeps up the pace and growth.

He did not start the next season worse! His pre-season was 3 times better than the first one, his chemistry with Dach and Newhook was obvious. When Dach went down, and he was put with a Newhook who was learning C in our system and Anderson who could not buy a goal and could still never set up a goal, Slaf's stats suffered. But not his play.

His play was much better and many of us pointed it out. The stats-focused posters couldn't see it, especially those who were skeptical of his skills since the draft debates. But by mid-November, both MSL and Nick Suzuki said that Slaf was ready for first line duties. How fans can still say they were right that he was bad, while the coach and captain were wrong, after the results proved he was ready, is beyond me.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He did not start the next season worse! His pre-season was 3 times better than the first one, his chemistry with Dach and Newhook was obvious. When Dach went down, and he was put with a Newhook who was learning C in our system and Anderson who could not buy a goal and could still never set up a goal, Slaf's stats suffered. But not his play.

His play was much better and many of us pointed it out. The stats-focused posters couldn't see it, especially those who were skeptical of his skills since the draft debates. But by mid-November, both MSL and Nick Suzuki said that Slaf was ready for first line duties. How fans can still say they were right that he was bad, while the coach and captain were wrong, after the results proved he was ready, is beyond me.

He wasn't bad to start the year. He just wasn't as good as he was towards the last 1/3 or 1/2 of the season.

The growth came with maturity and confidence. Puck on his stick and he wasn't as nervous or anxious with it. He also learned how to deal with physical contract and time/space better.

Spending a lot of time in the rink before and after practice is very important. He's obsessive at improving and not easily distracted. This to me has always been the biggest area of development growth the stars or top players have had. Even with size, skill, skating, you still have to put the time in. The top end players say this all the time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is 7,875 millions per year.
Caufield is 7,850 millions per year.

Let's sign Slaf at 7,865 millions per year for 8 years.

That's it!!

Would be great team building in terms of assembling a cap competitive team. Today, Slaf probably compares himself to both Suzuki and Caufield in terms of him reaching his ceiling so why not get him paid the same and avoid all the contract distraction talk all season long.

With Slaf, a 8 year contract would be 4 RFA and 4 UFA. If the 8 year term and AAV is not something they agree on, Hughes can do the 3 year bridge at a lower cap hit. That could be risky to Slaf in terms of staying in the 50-60 points range or any potential derail.

I always find this interesting to manage. Team vs Player perspective and it's gambling a bit on the what the future looks like. Nobody knows

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Agreed...it seems some folks have decided to reshape their previous argument around Slafkovsky's progression this season, as being some kind of unforeseen or exceptional event.

It really wasn't...was it a slow burn, absolutely, but the process was there. The results were inevitable.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Would be great team building in terms of assembling a cap competitive team. Today, Slaf probably compares himself to both Suzuki and Caufield in terms of him reaching his ceiling so why not get him paid the same and avoid all the contract distraction talk all season long.

With Slaf, a 8 year contract would be 4 RFA and 4 UFA. If the 8 year term and AAV is not something they agree on, Hughes can do the 3 year bridge at a lower cap hit. That could be risky to Slaf in terms of staying in the 50-60 points range or any potential derail.

I always find this interesting to manage. Team vs Player perspective and it's gambling a bit on the what the future looks like. Nobody knows
Sign him to 8x8 asap because his upside is significant

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He is part of the core..............so the sooner he gets locked up the better.
I do think that Hughes will have him and his agent to agree to be in the 7.5m - 7.8M range ala his linemates......
I'm sure that's what Hughes would love, not sure his agent would.

Reactions: Leto and BLONG7

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Should Slafkovsky continue on his growth trajectory, his agent will ask at minimum the same cap % as Caufield/Suzuki adjusted to the next cap ceiling. Since his next contract is expected to kick in 2025-2026 and the cap ceiling is estimated to reach 92m by then, I expect something around ~8.65m AAV.​

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Should Slafkovsky continue on his growth trajectory, his agent will ask at minimum the same cap % as Caufield/Suzuki adjusted to the next cap ceiling. Since his next contract is expected to kick in 2025-2026 and the cap ceiling is estimated to reach 92m by then, I expect something around ~8.65m AAV.​
Agree, hence why I'm not sure it's realistic to expect him to "cap himself" under Suzuki and/or Caufield's contract given they don't represent the teams salary cap ceiling.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sign him to 8x8 asap because his upside is significant

Angle I would take is we believe in you like Suzuki and Caufield and we would like to pay you the same. It would be greedy to ask more than Suzuki and Caufield and I don't think Slaf is that type. He knows our system well and how we spend a lot of time and energy to get him in the best development situation as possible.

Lets play the future forecast game... Where does Slaf max out at? 60-80 pts and a power game added?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree, hence why I'm not sure it's realistic to expect him to "cap himself" under Suzuki and/or Caufield's contract given they don't represent the teams salary cap ceiling.

Yeah but that's with the understanding he is a sure shot 60-80+ player and can do that without Suzuki on his line. Betting on yourself does work in many situations but also doesn't in many others. What happens if Slaf plays with Dach next year and it's another 50 pts, 20-25 goal season? Our roster becomes loaded with several guys in the 50-60 pts range due to usage which is very possible.

Slaf is not driving anything at this point. Suzuki is. Slaf had a great 2nd half because he was with Suzuki for most of it. Slaf knows this and so does his agent. I remember fans pumping up Caufield to be better than Suzuki before last season as well.

In truth, the Habs are the ones taking the leap of faith after his good 2nd season, good 2nd half with Suzuki. Asking him if he is interested in a 8x $7.25M-$7.75M deal is not an unreasonable stance for our organization. Why? Because we believe he is on par with Suzuki and Caufield, not much, much, better.

We have a good performing young player but he's not MacKinnon.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah but that's with the understanding he is a sure shot 60-80+ player and can do that without Suzuki on his line.

Betting on yourself does work in many situations but also doesn't in many others. What happens if Slaf plays with Dach next year and it's another 50 pts, 20-25 goal season?

He's not driving anything at this point. Suzuki is. Slaf had a great 2nd half because he was with Suzuki for most of it. Slaf knows this and so does his agent. I remember fans pumping up Caufield to be better than Suzuki before last season as well.
I just don't know why if as a player, especially a guy picked 1st overall, you would want to limit your earnings based on a teams arbitrary internal cap, rather than the teams salary cap.

Revenues determines contract ceilings, not individual players.

The cap is scheduled to increase in the coming years, why wouldn't a long term contract signed now (or in the next 6-12 months or so), not take that into consideration?

If the pie is bigger, shouldn't his slice (again from his point of view), also be bigger if the organization deems he's a player they want to build around for the long term?

Me personally, i'm always for players maximizing their earnings...it's not their jobs to manage the team's salary's cap.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don't know why if as a player, especially a guy picked 1st overall, you would want to limit your earnings based on a teams arbitrary internal cap, rather than the teams salary cap.

Revenues determines contract ceilings, not individual players.

The cap is scheduled to increase in the coming years, why wouldn't a long term contract signed now (or in the next 6-12 months or so), not take that into consideration?

If the pie is bigger, shouldn't his slice (again from his point of view), also be bigger if the organization deems he's a player they want to build around for the long term?

Me personally, i'm always for players maximizing their earnings...it's not their jobs to manage the team's salary's cap.

Not your prototypical 1st OA pick. More like a top 5 pick narrative in a weak draft.

What you are talking about is greed. Absolute max earnings with no thinking about the team and the player you are playing with to help you get to this point today. Yes, there are players/agents like this out there. But that's not how you build a contender in a salary cap and usually selfish players demand this kind of attention. I don't believe that is Slaf's type of personality and he doesn't have the same pedigree as MacKinnon to bank on himself in the way you are describing. I think our fan base is a bit guilty of pumping up his good 2nd half too much. It warrants good attention and compliments but not in big way like demanding more than Suzuki and Caufield at this stage. I get what you are saying but he just has not earned that type of hype or even confidence to bank on himself that way. It's been a long 2 years for him so far and he knows the challenges ahead of him.

Asking for more than $8M x8 after this season would be greed to me. If not greed, overly confident but let me ask you this? Is he leading the charge and line by himself, or is he sliding into the mix and starting to show signs of producing? With me, it's the later. Of course he has potential but Suzuki and MSL brought it out faster and compliments his growth. I think Slaf and his agent knows this more than anybody else

If Slaf and his agent think he is a 80+ forward regardless of who he plays with, they are too cocky. Don't worry, Hughes will manage this well. Some thought Caufield would ask for $9M AAV... I remember it.

I see it as the Habs taking a bigger leap of faith than Slaf wanting to bank on himself as a 80+ forward. If the Habs approached him with the $7.25M - $7.75M x8 extension and he started to ask for more, I let him finish the 3 year ELC, take him off the Suzuki line and see if he can do the same with Dach next year. I just don't see him burning us where he all of a sudden is a 80+ forward regardless of the usage and who he plays with.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’ll be interesting to see. If they offer $64 million in guaranteed money for just one 20 goal/50 point season, it may be hard for a 20 year old to turn that kind of financial security down. I think that’s what Hughes will push for but who knows, maybe Slafkovsky wants to bet on himself for another season. I just don’t see his dollar amount going up that drastically even if his numbers get a bit higher for Slaf to take the risk of turning down that kind of deal.

Reactions: Leto

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That's tough shit for the agent honestly as it was secretly known during the Caufield negotiations that 7.9 was the cap and that nobody is going to make more than our best player and captain
And then after Caufields contract was done they pretty much Confirmed this was the case
0 chance Slaf is getting 8M, and even Slaf would tell his own agent "you're f***in nuts if you think I'm gonna be walking around this town getting paid more than our #1 guy"

I see Slaf settling for like 7M no problem honestly

People already giving Guhle and Xhekaj like 4-5M already and it's like whoa whoa whoaaaa, bit too early to make these guys multi-millionnaires, gotta prove a bit more sorry

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's tough shit for the agent honestly as it was secretly known during the Caufield negotiations that 7.9 was the cap and that nobody is going to make more than our best player and captain
And then after Caufields contract was done they pretty much Confirmed this was the case
0 chance Slaf is getting 8M, and even Slaf would tell his own agent "you're f***in nuts if you think I'm gonna be walking around this town getting paid more than our #1 guy"

People already giving Guhle and Xhekaj like 4-5M already and it's like whoa whoa whoaaaa, bit too early to make these guys multi-millionnaires, gotta prove a bit more sorry
The circumstances around Caufield's negotiations and Slafkovsky aren't the same.

I don't think that applies..

Tough shit for the agent, might also be tough shit for the Habs/Hughes too.

Again, individual players do not set a teams salary cap...league revenues do.

The Montreal Canadiens are not a small market team, so expecting them to operate with an "internal salary cap", is also not realistic.

Nick Suzuki's contract was signed when the cap/league revenues were at a certain level, same with Caufield...

The landscape will have significantly shifted when it's time for Slafkovsky to negotiate his deal.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not your prototypical 1st OA pick. More like a top 5 pick narrative in a weak draft.
I don't think that's how he and his agent view himself.
What you are talking about is greed. Absolute max earnings with no thinking about the team and the player you are playing with to help you get to this point today. Yes, there are players/agents like this out there. But that's not how you build a contender in a salary cap and usually selfish players demand this kind of attention. I don't believe that is Slaf's type of personality and he doesn't have the same pedigree as MacKinnon to bank on himself in the way you are describing. I think our fan base is a bit guilty of pumping up his good 2nd half too much. It warrants good attention and compliments but not in big way like demanding more than Suzuki and Caufield at this stage. I get what you are saying but he just has not earned that type of hype or even confidence to bank on himself that way. It's been a long 2 years for him so far and he knows the challenges ahead of him.
So it's greed for players to want to maximize their earnings?

So what do you call Owners/GMs, who want to minimize the player's salaries?

Is it not the same?

Sorry, I don't agree that it's greed for either side, it's called business and you don't have to make it personal.

It is not an individual player's job to help his GM navigate the salary cap.
Asking for more than $8M x8 after this season would be greed to me. If not greed, overly confident but let me ask you this? Is he leading the charge and line by himself, or is he sliding into the mix and starting to show signs of producing? With me, it's the later. Of course he has potential but Suzuki and MSL brought it out faster and compliments his growth. I think Slaf and his agent knows this more than anybody else

If Slaf and his agent think he is a 80+ forward regardless of who he plays with, they are too cocky. Don't worry, Hughes will manage this well. Some thought Caufield would ask for $9M AAV... I remember it.

I see it as the Habs taking a bigger leap of faith than Slaf wanting to bank on himself as a 80+ forward. If the Habs approached him with the $7.25M - $7.75M x8 extension and he started to ask for more, I let him finish the 3 year ELC, take him off the Suzuki line and see if he can do the same with Dach next year. I just don't see him burning us where he all of a sudden is a 80+ forward regardless of the usage and who he plays with.
Again, I don't agree with calling greed...it's a business man, for both sides.

All these questions you're asking are kind of irrelevant, whether or not he's leading the charge or a line by himself.

Josh Norris makes 8M a year, does he lead a line by himself?

The market will dictate whatever salary Slafkovsky signs whether it's a short bridge or a long term deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think that's how he and his agent view himself.

So it's greed for players to want to maximize their earnings?

So what do you call Owners/GMs, who want to minimize the player's salaries?

Is it not the same?

Sorry, I don't agree that it's greed for either side, it's called business and you don't have to make it personal.

It is not an individual player's job to help his GM navigate the salary cap.

Again, I don't agree with calling greed...it's a business man, for both sides.

What I am saying is 8x $7.75M is maximizing his earnings. Why? Because he is not a top line asset who can lead on his own like others who have bet on themselves.

I understand your maximize earnings narrative but they apply to players each of their own. Slaf is not a slam dunk 80+ future forward. He had a good 2nd half with Suzuki. Chill.

The same reasoning was said to me with Caufield. "He's going to ask for $9M+ after he had a good 2nd half with MSL"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We see it the same. Slaf had a good 2nd half playing with Suzuki. The thought that some think he should make more than Suzuki after this 2 seasons is reaching. Slaf has shown some potential but with Suzuki and MSL coaching. Slaf knows this and more than $8M AAV is pumping up too much.

Habs are the ones that would be reaching with this 8 year deal. Pretty sure Slav and his agent would be open to 8x $7M - $7.75M range.

Now if we get Celebrini, that's a different story. He's a prototypical 1st OA pick and he has the chance to leap frog Suzuki in AAV. For as much as I value him, Slaf in this draft would not be a top 5 pick.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What I am saying is 8x $7.75M is maximizing his earnings. Why? Because he is not a top line asset who can lead on his own like others who have bet on themselves.
Neither is Josh Norris, yet he signed a 7.9M/yr deal coming off ELC.

Robert Thomas, who is a guy who drives play one would argue, after his first 2 NHL seasons had 75pts in 136 games.

Slafkovsky currently has 60pts in 121 games played.

Robert Thomas signed a contract extension that pays him 8.125M annually.

Again, the market will dictate his salary on a long term deal, not Nick Suzuki or Cole Caufield or whether or not he "leads his line" or any of that kind of subjective analysis about his worth to the team.
I understand your maximize earnings narrative but they apply to players each of their own. Slaf is not a slam dunk 80+ future forward. He had a good 2nd half with Suzuki. Chill.

The same reasoning was said to me with Caufield. "He's going to ask for $9M+ after he had a good 2nd half with MSL"
Most players who sign long term deals coming off ELC aren't slam dunk 80+ future forwards or 70pt+ Dmen either.

It's an extension based mostly on the expectations that the player will get there at some point eventually.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Angle I would take is we believe in you like Suzuki and Caufield and we would like to pay you the same. It would be greedy to ask more than Suzuki and Caufield and I don't think Slaf is that type. He knows our system well and how we spend a lot of time and energy to get him in the best development situation as possible.

Lets play the future forecast game... Where does Slaf max out at? 60-80 pts and a power game added?
Based on what we saw if he tops out at 60 points I will be very disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad