Speculation: The Sale of Coyotes Will Rock The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
What this can do?

Maybe bigger cap increase this year.

A brand new location will want to make a hit in the market and Arizona has a massive amount of assets and maybe now an owner with deep pockets and a desire to win, an owner that is a hockey fan.

The draft could be filled with trades, the team will have so many picks they could trade 10 in the first three rounds and still have 8 more.
They will have over 40 million in cap space.
That cap space and his desire to win now will make July 1rst like Xmas for players.

As far as expansion team comparisons, there are none. This move is like a expansion with a deep prospect pool, cash and picks galore. This could be like a fantasy league moves.

What FA's are there this year? Combined with the cap increase and now this unrestrained possible FA, to build a winner out of the gate.

Defence men, who are available FA's? Goal scorers? Does Guentzal, Lindholm, or any other player fit?

Do they make a move to trade for Marner? Or Drasatl? These would be massive trades but this team has the assets. Would TO look at a 1rst and a couple 2 or 3's, Edmonton like to see 2 1rst's and a 2nd? Or is Keller, Crouse or some other player attractive enough? But there would be others but just about everything yo can think or doing would be possible for this team it the other teams agree. Even lopsided deals.

It would be all about winning now, right now so picks are assets.

FA's cash in.

Really upsets the cart. Even more than any expansion

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don't think a private owner selling his team is hockey related revenue is it?

It doesn't matter anyways lol. The cap is well under where it should be from the COVID escrow debt and is going to be going through max increases for several years to catch up.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Let's not put the cart before the horse.......until the league makes it 100% official, I'm not convinced they've finally given up on keeping the Yotes in Arizona.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The sale of a franchise isn't HRR so it changes nothing in this offseason for cap increases.

Who knows how aggressive management decides to be once the dust settles. They could be like the Kraken and take a long-term view or go hyper agressive like Vegas

Reactions: DaveG

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Might want to take your hands out of your pants, the sale would have a very minor effect on transactions. It won't raise the cap next year, and would be very minor the following season depending on how much revenue a Salt Lake City team would make vs a team in Arizona.

Adding one more team with deep pockets (allegedly) would also only have a small impact on the league.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Coyotes have a good young group of forwards and 2 solid goalies. If the move to SLC happens I could see them doing some spending for sure. Go out and get 1 of Stamkos/Reinhart/Guentzal. Trade for a d-man or two. But I don't think they'll do anything too major. They've built a good foundation

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Let's not put the cart before the horse.......until the league makes it 100% official, I'm not convinced they've finally given up on keeping the Yotes in Arizona.

I don't think you'd be seeing all these specific "Hypothetical" details releasing if it wasn't happening.

My guess would be the report about Mereulo getting first dibs on an expansion if he can build an arena is 100% accurate, and that's why the league is comfortable with it.

Oh for sure, but he implied an extra bump.
Nah I know what he's saying, but my point was they can't do that. (Or at least they wont just because of a team sale)

I believe the league and players can agree to go higher than the 5% maximum raise, but they're way, way, way over that difference in revenue right now, so even if the sale counted as HRR it wouldn't matter.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Will be interesting to sew if players want to live in Utah. They sure as hell don't have the same advantage as Vegas.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will be interesting to sew if players want to live in Utah. They sure as hell don't have the same advantage as Vegas.
Probably just slightly behind Colorado. Similar climate, but Denver is a bigger market with NFL, MLB as well for things to do locally. Cost of living is lower most likely.
State tax rate is 4.95% vs 5.1% for AZ and 4.55% for CO.

Most players probably don't know too much about SLC/Utah in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad