OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think Cam is washed, so whatever…their Dline sucks with or without him…
He needs to mind himself, remember something, the team matters more than any individual player with few exceptions. And Heyward isn't one of them. lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay thought as much but wondered if my memory was betraying me and you were in Camp Scream.

And yes, it seems clear to me as well. Beyond the likelihood the Steelers changed the sales pitch on them, if its reasonable for the Steelers to look at their options, then it's reasonable for the players to look at theirs too.

Yeah and that's what I edited in after. I don't think the Steelers necessarily did anything "wrong", because wanting to make the team better is fundamentally not "wrong", but the smoke out there suggests that at least both Pickett and Rudolph were unhappy with some aspect of how they did it.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just re Heyward missing OTAs - as I said, it all comes down to the money. That said, if he wants to force the issue that much, maybe he wants too much.

Yeah and that's what I edited in after. I don't think the Steelers necessarily did anything "wrong", because wanting to make the team better is fundamentally not "wrong", but the smoke out there suggests that at least both Pickett and Rudolph were unhappy with some aspect of how they did it.

Yup.

And to return to a point I made earlier this off-season, it does make me slightly uneasy. They want to move off of those guys, no skin off of my nose, but if they did actually want to keep them but instead managed to alienate them, it doesn't speak well for those involved. You'll have to put some back into the search to find someone who's genuinely worried we're not keeping those two, but bad processes tend to repeat.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Just re Heyward missing OTAs - as I said, it all comes down to the money. That said, if he wants to force the issue that much, maybe he wants too much.

Yup.

And to return to a point I made earlier this off-season, it does make me slightly uneasy. They want to move off of those guys, no skin off of my nose, but if they did actually want to keep them but instead managed to alienate them, it doesn't speak well for those involved. You'll have to put some back into the search to find someone who's genuinely worried we're not keeping those two, but bad processes tend to repeat.
Heyward should be gonzo. Dude is paid like superstar and he's barely average nowadays.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good point I saw elsewhere - both Ravens games aka most bruising games of the year are followed by a short turnaround.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Heyward should be gonzo. Dude is paid like superstar and he's barely average nowadays.
16m AAV is like 20th among IDL. The top of the market guys (Chris Jones, formerly Aaron Donald) are making double that figure.

You can make an argument that he's not worth that anymore, but he's not paid like a superstar.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Damn that’s a brutal schedule after the bye. For an offense with a lot of question marks, it might not be the worst thing to have a lighter schedule early on and hopefully be a somewhat well oiled machine by the time things get awful.

a possible silver lining is KC may have clinched their division/playoff spot by then.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tomlin will be playing for the Never a Losing Season Bowl though.

That's a game he can play with himself. If 8-8 wasn't losing, it wasn't winning either. Non-sensical and ignorant cherrypicked stat, IMO.

Playoff wins is the stat for me. Doesn't even need to be a winner for me to believe in what they are doing.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Good point I saw elsewhere - both Ravens games aka most bruising games of the year are followed by a short turnaround.

Interesting schedule quirks

1715867634452.png

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

And IF Burrow gets injured then what? It's a difficult schedule to be sure, but there's a lot of variables where by things can change a lot before those games are played.

Also, for as good as Baltimore is, they have a tough time with us, not sure that bit of nuance or variable is factored in.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Turns out Rudolph is a baby as well.
It’s not a great look for Mason either. But also, one guy was a free agent, wasn’t under contract and had the ability to sign anywhere he wanted. The other guy was under contract and demanded to be traded… to be a guaranteed backup… I wouldn’t say they are similar scenarios either.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
A Chargers game at Heinz Field in September? I can finally get to go to a game without needing multiple layers. Great timing by the NFL and much appreciated by me lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
SD has a stat that the Steelers had the 12th best run defence with Heyward dressing last year and 27th or something without. That's a pretty big reason to keep a guy.

Also kind of alarming the coaches couldn't find a way around his absence. I get that player quality is a hard limit on a coach in this league but even so that seems alarming.

Reactions: Andy99 and Rave7215

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's a game he can play with himself. If 8-8 wasn't losing, it wasn't winning either. Non-sensical and ignorant cherrypicked stat, IMO.

Playoff wins is the stat for me. Doesn't even need to be a winner for me to believe in what they are doing.
images

• Haha
Reactions: JTG

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s not a great look for Mason either. But also, one guy was a free agent, wasn’t under contract and had the ability to sign anywhere he wanted. The other guy was under contract and demanded to be traded… to be a guaranteed backup… I wouldn’t say they are similar scenarios either.

Except for the bit where they're dealing with the same organisation and, based on the exact same action, decide they're better away from their organisation.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
SD has a stat that the Steelers had the 12th best run defence with Heyward dressing last year and 27th or something without. That's a pretty big reason to keep a guy.

Also kind of alarming the coaches couldn't find a way around his absence. I get that player quality is a hard limit on a coach in this league but even so that seems alarming.
He’s trying to hold the organization hostage over it too…they absolutely should not resign him for another two years at his age…disappointing…he’s being paid $16M this season at his age and that’s a good coin

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Not sure if your word choice is serious or sarcastic.

To extract the reddest and dodgiest of meat from the article...

"Kaboly could not confirm or deny the other part of that initial report that stated that Rudolph texted Pickett and expressed much of his frustrations with the Steelers, causing Pickett to request a trade."

edit: Scratch that, something redder and even more unreliable from the comments section...

"I know someone "administrative" in the front office if you will... I believe that person more than anyone else.

Coach cliche and Kahn told Rudolph and Pickett that they were going to get every opportunity to start. Compete against each other in camp with the new OC Smith and new offensive scheme that will offer the opportunity to succeed instead of what they saw after several years of Canada influence.

Then heyward came in and basically said hey I'm done unless you guys try to get Wilson in here and get rid of the diva complainers. AKA DJ.

So they were second banana to the giants for Wilson but promised him he would start if he took league minimum. Word leaked out and then cliche went and tried to snowball Pickett and Rudolph AGAIN and in a nutshell, they were sick of being lied to. Picket said he wanted out asap ANYWHERE else and he'd take his chances. And they had never even tried to get Rudolph signed HOPING he wouldn't leave. Why? Because coach cliche has ALWAYS believed Garrett and they thought they could just sign Rudolph to a crummy 1 year deal again after the draft and he's sick of the dangling carrot. So he now has a legit shot at a real competition. Not another lie fairy tale."
That commenter has such "My Uncle works at Nintendo vibes." I can't take seriously anyone who's source is basically "Trust me, I heard it" and their absolute complete bias against someone screaming through their narrative to the point they can't even call Tomlin by name.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
16m AAV is like 20th among IDL. The top of the market guys (Chris Jones, formerly Aaron Donald) are making double that figure.

You can make an argument that he's not worth that anymore, but he's not paid like a superstar.
The fact Campbell made 7 million last year and is a FA should tell you all you know about what Cam next deal should be. I am for a rotation between Cambell and Cam for this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad