OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
The question is how much of an upgrade it is and if it's enough to win a Super Bowl.

If you think Fields can win a Super Bowl, fair enough. I don't, so what's the point on wasting assets and money on him?

The pessimist in me says nobody is getting through Mahomes-Jackson-Josh Allen-Burrow-Stroud in the AFC for the next 5-10 years. But honestly who knows. The landscape changes so fast in the NFL and injuries can change everything. Who the hell had us going 5-1 in the division this year?

DraftKings has us as +7500 to win the SB in 2025. That's like 1% implied odds. Glass half full says give me the Colts or Falcons odds at +3500 if we get Fields. That would literally double our championship chances :laugh:

Reactions: T1K

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Both laughing and intrigued by that.

Did Colbert do better because his judgment beat the analytics and when he listened to them he made more mistakes, or did he do better because his peers weren't as good and once they found analytics they found ways to be as smart?

Or just something else entirely.
My guess is they didn't use analytics at all before. Then they started to because that's what all the cool kids were doing, but he didn't know how to apply them. So he ended up being pushed towards guys he normally wouldn't like or away from guys he normally would like. I think even pro-analytic people often misuse them. Look at the Penguins :laugh:, so I wouldn't expect a 60+ year old man who doesn't like them to begin with to understand how to use them.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The pessimist in me says nobody is getting through Mahomes-Jackson-Josh Allen-Burrow-Stroud in the AFC for the next 5-10 years. But honestly who knows. The landscape changes so fast in the NFL and injuries can change everything. Who the hell had us going 5-1 in the division this year?

DraftKings has us as +7500 to win the SB in 2025. That's like 1% implied odds. Glass half full says give me the Colts or Falcons odds at +3500 if we get Fields. That would literally double our championship chances :laugh:

For some reason this team always performs in division. It doesn't have a hope against a team with the Bengals/Ravens' record out of division, but in division its usually tight. I have now idea what the hell that's about.

Re the gauntlet... I think it might be about to ease simply because guys need paying. Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinnati are all entering the tough part of being a contender. It probably doesn't mean that much in terms of getting a SB because Mahomes-Reid is just a freakshow, but it should get easier to at least have the dubious honour of getting beat by Kansas in the conference final.

I also think Allen and Jackson are both big examples of how a thrower can take radical steps, both from development and help from the team. Don't like betting on it but weird things happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah I just don't view a 2nd round pick and potentially ~$21m in 2025 as prohibitive if it could represent an upgrade at the most important position on the team, which is coincidentally our worst. That would be like the 20th highest QB contract by AAV. Sure, Pickett is cheap, but he's a bridge to nowhere. I just view continuing to give him more starts as being futile, and maybe that's where I just fundamentally disagree with some people on here.
He's not the worst by any stretch though. His C and LT were the two worst players on the team by a fair margin.

Giving him more starts is allowing us to build a roster that can compete. This team can win with an offensive line and the running game where Kenny just has to move the chains and take care of the ball. He's competent enough to do that.

We need a T and C before QB. I think we need CB and MLB before QB.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He's not the worst by any stretch though. His C and LT were the two worst players on the team by a fair margin.

Giving him more starts is allowing us to build a roster that can compete. This team can win with an offensive line and the running game where Kenny just has to move the chains and take care of the ball. He's competent enough to do that.

No KP is the worst Qb. He was in the bottom 5 all season backups out played him. He made hs offense line worse. He made everyone around him worse

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No KP is the worst Qb. He was in the bottom 5 all season backups out played him. He made hs offense line worse. He made everyone around him worse
He snapped the ball at his own feet/over his head and consistently got steamrolled? Somehow Jones replaced Chuks and it was a drastic difference. It doesn't take much research to know that what you just said is inherently wrong.

"Chuks for a pick!" Chuks is trash.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

I was sort of just thinking of the positional group as a whole, so including Broderick who I'm high on helps a little but, but we're splitting hairs. Dan Moore is probably bottom 5 at his position and that's not much higher than I'd rank Kenny. Round 1 tackle should absolutely be in play for the draft again and is where I'd want us to look. I posted a top 100 list yesterday from Dane Brugler and he had 6 tackles in his top 20.

QB>MLB and C in terms of positional value. We got kind of screwed at inside linebacker last year with Kwon and Cole Holcomb both having season ending injuries, but if their medicals check out I'd be okay running it back with them. If not, it's probably one of the easier positions to address in free agency. Same with Center. I was just looking at some potential replacements and I saw that the Titans C Aaron Brewer is a FA. Was drafted in Arthur Smith's last year in Tennessee so I'm guessing he's a scheme fit. PFF has him as their #4 C available.

You'll never guess who they comped him to.

1707947920835.png

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was sort of just thinking of the positional group as a whole, so including Broderick who I'm high on helps a little but, but we're splitting hairs. Dan Moore is probably bottom 5 at his position and that's not much higher than I'd rank Kenny. Round 1 tackle should absolutely be in play for the draft again and is where I'd want us to look. I posted a top 100 list yesterday from Dane Brugler and he had 6 tackles in his top 20.

QB>MLB and C in terms of positional value. We got kind of screwed at inside linebacker last year with Kwon and Cole Holcomb both having season ending injuries, but if their medicals check out I'd be okay running it back with them. If not, it's probably one of the easier positions to address in free agency. Same with Center. I just looking at some potential replacements and I saw that the Titans C Aaron Brewer is a FA. Was drafted in Arthur Smith's last year in Tennessee so I'm guessing he's a scheme fit. PFF has him as their #4 C available.

You'll never guess who they comped him to.

View attachment 819670

Brewer is fine. He's definitely an upgrade on Cole, but I think he'd be a downgrade to the top two guys in the draft. I think both of these guys come in and are top 10 centers, so I wouldn't write that position off as it is a need, and it would really help our running game if NTs were just blowing up the middle on a consistent basis.

MLB I think is a need for the reasons you mentioned. If Kenny progresses, he should be as adequate as Mason was, and Mason won games.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Brewer is fine. He's definitely an upgrade on Cole, but I think he'd be a downgrade to the top two guys in the draft. I think both of these guys come in and are top 10 centers, so I wouldn't write that position off as it is a need, and it would really help our running game if NTs were just blowing up the middle on a consistent basis.

MLB I think is a need for the reasons you mentioned. If Kenny progresses, he should be as adequate as Mason was, and Mason won games.
I'm not against drafting a center at 20 if he's our BPA, but that's about as early as you see centers go nowadays. We took Pouncey 18th overall in 2010 and a few C's have gone at that same pick since then but none higher. All things being equal NFL GM's take the T since they're harder to find and command a lot more money in FA. I think there's only like 6 centers making more than $10m per.

LT, QB, C, CB are definitely our primary needs though.

WR and S to a lesser extent.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not against drafting a center at 20 if he's our BPA, but that's about as early as you see centers go nowadays. We took Pouncey 18th overall in 2010 and a few C's have gone at that same pick since then but none higher. All things being equal NFL GM's take the T since they're harder to find and command a lot more money in FA. I think there's only like 6 centers making more than $10m per.

LT, QB, C, CB are definitely our primary needs though.

WR and S to a lesser extent.
Take out QB and I agree with everything you said.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I believe Pickett's ability means just QB mightn't be a need providing the offence is substantially better around him.

I believe Pickett's ability means a really good QB is the team's biggest need.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I don't think they'll trade up for McCarthy or take him even if he falls to 20 for that matter. I've never been that impressed by McCarthy. There's never been a game where I've watched him play and came away thinking he's one of the best college QB's.

The hiring of Authur Smith has me slightly more intrigued by McCarthy though. I can see Smith thinking McCarthy fits his offense because he played in a very similar offense at Michigan where they basically bludgeon you with the running game and take some shots in the passing game. He also has superior physical tools to Pickett, Rudolph etc. I still wouldn't want McCarthy earlier than round 2 though and it seems likely he'll be long gone by that time.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Take out QB and I agree with everything you said.
QB is a pretty big team need. I don't know how you can look at Pickett and be satisfied but to each their own. Picking another QB at #20 (whether he's the QB4 or QB1 of his class in the case of Pickett) is probably going to be a reach though, so I agree we shouldn't target one in round one. Which is why I've been saying Fields for #52 is ok value.

Yeah, I don't think they'll trade up for McCarthy or take him even if he falls to 20 for that matter. I've never been that impressed by McCarthy. There's never been a game where I've watched him play and came away thinking he's one of the best college QB's.

The hiring of Authur Smith has me slightly more intrigued by McCarthy though. I can see Smith thinking McCarthy fits his offense because he played in a very similar offense at Michigan where they basically bludgeon you with the running game and take some shots in the passing game. He also has superior physical tools to Pickett, Rudolph etc. I still wouldn't want McCarthy earlier than round 2 though and it seems likely he'll be long gone by that time.
It's funny how for the past couple threads we've been talking about Pickett v Fields and their inability to see the field, while simultaneously dismissing the idea of taking McCarthy. And this is his writeup:

1707955646546.png

More athletic Drew Brees sounds like the greatest player ever :laugh:

Reactions: T1K

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He snapped the ball at his own feet/over his head and consistently got steamrolled? Somehow Jones replaced Chuks and it was a drastic difference. It doesn't take much research to know that what you just said is inherently wrong.

Wanna bet he goes to a team and ends up being a stud with his new team?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

We just watched maholmes in the super bowl dig out snaps its part of playing Qb. Standing in the pocket taking a hit to make a play not bailing left every snap. You have to read the defense and be decisive mason dud just fine with coke at c. Moore gave up 2 sacks with Mason at Qb and 1 was on mason.
Foster said he talked to chuks and chuks knows there’s questions about his drive to play the game and his drive to finish blocks and he might have to professionally rehab himself on a 1 year deal. Max crosby literally realized chuks would give up on the play after chuks pushed him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And that's a totally different conversation. This isn't a whole lot different than when Haley came. We will see how it goes. I like the turnover on the staff. I think Tomlin has to accept change or his seat is going to get hot. I really do this this is the cross roads for him. This has been bad...if he has the entirely new staff and the team is still 8-10 wins and doesn't win a playoff game...that's not progress and they need to very seriously consider getting someone in here.

Part of me hopes they sign Tomlin to a decent contract this year because I could see him being an asset for us in 2 years if he shits the bed. Teams will never believe it's his fault. It's unbelievable.

It only took one season for Tomlin to kill all the enthusiasm most of us had after the draft last April.

Now I’m starting to hope they massively shit the bed next season and Tomlin makes AR2 look like a buster.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno, I'm kinda interested in McCarthy. I like guys who come out to play in high pressure situations, and going 47% completion rate on 3rd and long is that. I'd want to dig into what's happening there. I like the profiles where it feels like his list of tools is everything. He doesn't use them like an NFL QB because he's 20 and has been in an easy offence, but I feel like that's the sort of guy that grows and leaves people wondering "why didn't people pick him earlier".

I reserve the right to change my mind on more digging, which I may not bother to do if Tomlin doesn't go to his pro day, but right now I'm intrigued.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It only took one season for Tomlin to kill all the enthusiasm most of us had after the draft last April.

Now I’m starting to hope they massively shit the bed next season and Tomlin makes AR2 look like a buster.
The 1st 4 in that class played plenty and will start so why are you not excited

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The 1st 4 in that class played plenty and will start so why are you not excited

You understand that Tomlin f***ed up KPs development and that is going to set this team back years, right?

MR also isn’t going to beat the Mahomes, Burrows, and Allens of the AFC.

MR is at best Mike Tomczak.

If another mediocre season and extending the playoff drought to 8 years gets you excited, cool.

I’m hoping for another great draft to create a great o-line for the next QB they draft, and hopefully Tomlin won’t be around to f*** that guy up to.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You understand that Tomlin f***ed up KPs development and that is going to set this team back years, right?

MR also isn’t going to beat the Mahomes, Burrows, and Allens of the AFC.

MR is at best Mike Tomczak.

If another mediocre season and extending the playoff drought to 8 years gets you excited, cool.

I’m hoping for another great draft to create a great o-line for the next QB they draft, and hopefully Tomlin won’t be around to f*** that guy up to.
Pickett was not some raw 21-year-old. He was the most pro Ready quarterback in a week class he flat out sucks sure he can do you want Mason has done and work at the Manning academy to get better but until KP learns nfl open and reading defenses he isn’t going anywhere. They are going back to 05 on offense run it and throw it deep out of play action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad