TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XII

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Man Stevenson is unbearably bad on the radio. It makes me pine for Versage.

Nothing he says is particularly stupid, but he's monotone and it takes him 2 minutes to say the most basic and non-controversial thing.
...and then another 5 min to say it again in two different ways...and then 2 min more to repeat what he said at the start word for word. Fired up CJ is the best though. Just barrels along, squaking away!

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
it is weird to me that so many hosts with daughters continue calling it a man’s league - some girls dream of playing in the NHL so that dream should be allowed to live machismo free

Lets be real here. A female is never going to play in the NHL, outside of another publicity stunt like Manon Rheaume. It's not sexist, it's just biology. Elite male athletes are physically superior to elite female athletes.

Assen na yo.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lets be real here. A female is never going to play in the NHL, outside of another publicity stunt like Manon Rheaume. It's not sexist, it's just biology. Elite male athletes are physically superior to elite female athletes.

Assen na yo.

I guess the future is written in this post here.

regardless it’s not a man’s league - so the media should stop using that term.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I can’t get over how much Simmer’s tone and attitude changes when he’s not on with JR. It’s beyond obvious that he has little interest in what the other hosts have to say or think. He clearly thinks he’s better than them. It’s childish and unprofessional. If the listeners can hear and feel it, imagine what others at TSN1200 are thinking or feeling…

Reactions: stigs17

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I can’t get over how much Simmer’s tone and attitude changes when he’s not on with JR. It’s beyond obvious that he has little interest in what the other hosts have to say or think. He clearly thinks he’s better than them. It’s childish and unprofessional. If the listeners can hear and feel it, imagine what others at TSN1200 are thinking or feeling…
I don’t hear it and feel it and I’m an every day listener. So explain what you mean

Reactions: Icelevel

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
Aren't they just stating that it is a man's sport, and not for boys?

That is okay, right?
Some years ago, I heard I believe it was Kirk Muller tell an anecdote about something Jacques Demers had said between periods during the 93 Cup finals against the Kings. Demers entered the dressing room before the overtime all pumped up and supposedly told the players "all right, it's time to separate the men from the boys, so... let's go boys, let's win this one...". Which got everyone start laughing on their way to the ice without Demers realizing what was so funny.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I guess the future is written in this post here.

regardless it’s not a man’s league - so the media should stop using that term.
What are you talking about? Who else has played in the league?

The Canadian women's national team play Midget AAA boys teams (15 and 16 year olds) for exhibition games and lose some.

These are the best of the best women and they are great and competive and exciting to watch but they couldn't make it in the NHL.

It's not for lack of talent, just the physical difference between men and women.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What are you talking about? Who else has played in the league?

The Canadian women's national team play Midget AAA boys teams (15 and 16 year olds) for exhibition games and lose some.

These are the best of the best women and they are great and competive and exciting to watch but they couldn't make it in the NHL.

It's not for lack of talent, just the physical difference between men and women.

i could see a big one timer and elite scoring on the PP - (like a Ovechkin finish but more in the mold of Mike Hoffman) help a female make it to the NHL. Not an insult to anyone but Mike Hoffman plays a game I think anyone who’s an adult could play. I mean that by not a ton of physical engagement, staying out of the corners but elite finish and scoring ability and speed. It’s not a question of if, just a question do when.

also it’s not a woman’s league because we could have female GM’s, HC’s and executive and owners. You’ll see a lot more of this and we’ll soon see female refs, female assistant on the bench and eventually once that happens you’ll see more opportunities for woman at all positions in the NHL. For sure there is a woman out there who could at least GM a team to last place finishes for 5 years, or do what Many recent head coaches in Ottawa have done

somewhere in the world there is a girl who’s shooting pucks and dreams of scoring goals in the NHL - hard to bet against people who have big dreams

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
i could see a big one timer and elite scoring on the PP - (like a Ovechkin finish but more in the mold of Mike Hoffman) help a female make it to the NHL. Not an insult to anyone but Mike Hoffman plays a game I think anyone who’s an adult could play. I mean that by not a ton of physical engagement, staying out of the corners but elite finish and scoring ability and speed. It’s not a question of if, just a question do when.

also it’s not a woman’s league because we could have female GM’s, HC’s and executive and owners. You’ll see a lot more of this and we’ll soon see female refs, female assistant on the bench and eventually once that happens you’ll see more opportunities for woman at all positions in the NHL. For sure there is a woman out there who could at least GM a team to last place finishes for 5 years, or do what Many recent head coaches in Ottawa have done

somewhere in the world there is a girl who’s shooting pucks and dreams of scoring goals in the NHL - hard to bet against people who have big dreams

Did you not read what he said. The Canadian Womans team, the best woman team in the world, regularly loses to the best 15 and 16 year old boys in a neighbourhood of a Canadian town. Its even a no body checking game, which negates the guys biggest advantage.

The gap is like the Grand Canyon. Some things just are, wether we would like them to be or not. Give your daughters achievable goals. Or better yet, teach them to derive their self worth from things more important than playing hockey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure how meaningful this really is, the Phillies lost to a div 2 college team, in basketball the dream team lost to a college all Star team in a scrimmage, both are cases of objectively significantly superior teams losing, it happens in part because the better team either underestimates the opposition or simply does not have the same motivation to win. Nothing is really on the line in exhibition games.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I think someday a woman/or women will play games in the NHL. Not in the next 5 years, but 20, 30, years from now. I am not saying that they will be the next Wayne Gretzky, but there will be a woman/women players. I wrote a piece about this topic 30 some years ago after watching the first Women's World Championships in 1990 in Ottawa. That is my opinion.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm not sure how meaningful this really is, the Phillies lost to a div 2 college team, in basketball the dream team lost to a college all Star team in a scrimmage, both are cases of objectively significantly superior teams losing, it happens in part because the better team either underestimates the opposition or simply does not have the same motivation to win. Nothing is really on the line in exhibition games.
The dream team loss is a little misleading,

It was a teaching moment not an actual game. It was their first game together.

I am not sure there is a sport that men and women can compete against each other where it would be fair. Maybe curling?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think someday a woman/or women will play games in the NHL. Not in the next 5 years, but 20, 30, years from now. I am not saying that they will be the next Wayne Gretzky, but there will be a woman/women players. I wrote a piece about this topic 30 some years ago after watching the first Women's World Championships in 1990 in Ottawa. That is my opinion.
This would mean that women could get that much stronger and faster or men become slower and weaker. The human body whether male or female has it's limitations.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have a bad feeling TSN 1200 will be gone before we know it. The writing is on the wall if you look carefully, and the signs are somewhat telling:

- average to poor radio personalities (in terms of content/quality, not as people of course, they all seem really nice, except for maybe Dean Brown)

- terrible, terrible commercials

- too many commercials (likely a signal of a dwindling budget)

- pandemic affecting NHL games, which is their biggest draw

- terrible, cringey, horrible commercials that repeat daily due to lack of variety and sponsors.

- the precedent of Bell media shutting down a few radio stations earlier in the year (or was that last year?)

Reactions: SquidNasty

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I think that it will also depend a lot on the NHL rule changes. This year the NHL has been trying to curb cross checking. If they make further changes , then the game could become less physical 10, 20 or 30 years from now making it more possible for a woman to play in the NHL. Like I stated the female player might not be a dominant player, but could crack an NHL lineup in the future.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I have a bad feeling TSN 1200 will be gone before we know it. The writing is on the wall if you look carefully, and the signs are somewhat telling:

- average to poor radio personalities (in terms of content/quality, not as people of course, they all seem really nice, except for maybe Dean Brown)

- terrible, cringey, horrible commercials that repeat daily due to lack of variety and sponsors.

- the precedent of Bell media shutting down a few radio stations earlier in the year (or was that last year?)
As long as there is an NHL team in town, they stay.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Did you not read what he said. The Canadian Womans team, the best woman team in the world, regularly loses to the best 15 and 16 year old boys in a neighbourhood of a Canadian town. Its even a no body checking game, which negates the guys biggest advantage.

The gap is like the Grand Canyon. Some things just are, wether we would like them to be or not. Give your daughters achievable goals. Or better yet, teach them to derive their self worth from things more important than playing hockey.

They lose to major midget AAA (16) years olds, they do win a few though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I predict 580 CFRA and Tsn 1200 will merge. Morning and after noon will be CFRA and from 2pm on it will be TSN. I could see them replacing Dean with AJ, The afternoon show could be JR and Leever with Bunda Producing, and Creech and former NHL player doing games/post games/ 67's/Evening show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad