OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seen on National last night Salmonella outbreak in cantaloupe killed 5 Canadians. More than 100 sick. I never heard tell of Salmonella in produce before? Always associated it with chickens, eggs. Sounds like dangerous stuff though. Imported from Mexico they said.
It’s happened several times at Costco with Romaine lettuce grown in the US so I avoid it at all costs.

It’s also happened with frozen organic blueberries that I had purchased a few years ago at Costco (I believe it was listeria). You always have to be on the lookout for recall advisories.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It’s happened several times at Costco with Romaine lettuce grown in the US so I avoid it at all costs.

It’s also happened with frozen organic blueberries that I had purchased a few years ago at Costco (I believe it was listeria). You always have to be on the lookout for recall advisories.
They said on National they put raw manure on produce fields down there. Mexico. Where it came from. But must be able to jump from animal to produce. I thought different cell structure it couldn't jump but must be able to.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And now, for something completely different :

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's all the rage last few years, wine tasting at vineyards but also spirits at distilleries. Places where it's absolutely acceptable to get hammered before noon. Fun and some good mixes, pineapple for me anyways. But a word to the wise, do the round of golf before the tasting unless you're cool with playing like shit!
booze tour.jpg

Things you learn, the mrs was sucking on my nuts, not biting or swallowing though, then spits it out! Should have said macadamia huh? Said she'll wash em and make cookies, should be fine.:dunno:

maxresdefault.jpg

Win some, lose some. This was the worst Panang curry possible, thin, shallow flavour except for way too much fish sauce.
How can you screw it up? it's so simple and easy.
You'd expect a place called '' Thai me up '' to be more satisfying and less anti-climatic.

panang.jpg

We had a HEMP pizza the other day and never heard of it, by the time we finished it we were hungrier than when we began.:snide:

Yeah sure, but I don't see the appeal, really.

Assuming what a Biga is (If not a quick research would help) and that you don't have access to a sourdough mother

Biga:
750G Pizza flour (I like to use 00 and whole wheat pizza flour 75/25 blend, but you really just could use any pizza flour and experience...
495G water @ Body temp more or less.
1.2g yeast

Cold ferment for 4 days or ferment for 12-24 hours in a warm place (oven with the light on usually is hot enough)

After this mix the dough:
975G of the same flour
550 g of water (Body temp)
40g sea salt

Mix the dough and the biga together after you've mixed the dough. (Use a dough hook or knead, but i do not have the patience to knead, lol. A spiral mixer is always best but those are expensive)

Id make about 220-250g balls depending on the size you want, and then cold ferment the dough balls at least 1 day and up to 4.

Fermentation time is very important for flavour and for air pockets, which creates leoparding like this :

View attachment 778833

It doesn't react like this in a normal oven though, as the ovens you would typically use are between 600 and 1000F. (A "real" authentic napolitana needs a 900F oven or it's not approved.) I'd buy Pizz Czar by Anthony Falco, I don't have it on me right now, but Im sure there's a "home" recipe in there, plenty of very cool pizza related recipes too.

If you want to try it on a stone, Ive heard good thing of building an oven inside your oven and turning the broiler on, basically use your stone and another stone on the top rack, with smaller stones on the sides and back. I followed a guy that did only that and had a spectacular product but I can't find him anymore. At this point though, just buy a gozney/ooni it's gonna be less expensive and much more fun to learn.
Howd I miss this? food is suppose to taste good of course but it's also suppose to look appetizing, sorry ,but this looks like somebody upchucked on it. Made while watching the Habs? they are indeed vomit inducing. Surprised that jerk fella wasn't all over this.:popcorn:

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's all the rage last few years, wine tasting at vineyards but also spirits at distilleries. Places where it's absolutely acceptable to get hammered before noon. Fun and some good mixes, pineapple for me anyways. But a word to the wise, do the round of golf before the tasting unless you're cool with playing like shit!
View attachment 801534

Things you learn, the mrs was sucking on my nuts, not biting or swallowing though, then spits it out! Should have said macadamia huh? Said she'll wash em and make cookies, should be fine.:dunno:

View attachment 801535

Win some, lose some. This was the worst Panang curry possible, thin, shallow flavour except for way too much fish sauce.
How can you screw it up? it's so simple and easy.
You'd expect a place called '' Thai me up '' to be more satisfying and less anti-climatic.

View attachment 801536

We had a HEMP pizza the other day and never heard of it, by the time we finished it we were hungrier than when we began.:snide:

Howd I miss this? food is suppose to taste good of course but it's also suppose to look appetizing, sorry ,but this looks like somebody upchucked on it. Made while watching the Habs? they are indeed vomit inducing. Surprised that jerk fella wasn't all over this.:popcorn:
Imagine being this ignorant, and being this loud.

Last edited:

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Stopped at a Korean food truck and tried the short ribs, don't remember the last time I had such tasty ribs. We liked them so much we wanted to get the recipe from the operator but turned out he was a prick about it. Strange as when the mrs turns on her charm, she's adorable and a beautiful very fit attractive woman and usually get what she wants. But he was clearly Korean and she clearly Japanese, so maybe that entered into the picture, history rears it's ugly head yet again. When time permits it will be interesting if the recipe can be replicated. :crossfing

short ribs.jpg

I'm not a fan of donuts, but there always room for exceptions, so when in Rome.............these malasadas as they are called are super good as they were fresh and still warm, addictive. World famous though? never heard of them.

yumyum.jpgdonuts.jpg

Was thinking about dropping in to the city on my homeward bound journey and check out some old haunts and some peeps. Anything worth checking out that's good? Is La Louisianne still going? recommended Indian? any Indonesian around? Rib joints? No need to learn the best pizza in Montreal as that's in Ottawa, might do a little pop-in there too, we'll see. Would have considered going to a Habs game but it's not all that enticing, obviously, kind of sad and pathetic but it might fluctuate. Maybe a Laval game, how's the parking there? How are the slopes, good conditions? Any type of live concerts worth seeing? Mucho appreciado.

• Love
Reactions: rve24 and MXD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No need to learn the best pizza in Montreal as that's in Ottawa, might do a little pop-in there too, we'll see.
I don’t know the pizza scene in Ottawa but there are so many Montreal options, how could you make such a gross generalization that Montreal pizza can be so easily dismissed?

IMG_0358.jpeg

This one’s king for me. Extra large, all dressed, well cooked and toppings to the brim. Restaurant Di Menna.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don’t know the pizza scene in Ottawa but there are so many Montreal options, how could you make such a gross generalization that Montreal pizza can be so easily dismissed?

View attachment 809177

This one’s king for me. Extra large, all dressed, well cooked and toppings to the brim. Restaurant Di Menna.
Looks good,but most pics of food does. Not saying it isn't great,but looked where it was and that would be way out of the way to take a gamble on food,if you know what I'm saying. I don't go way out of may way for an unknown. I'll keep a note though just in case it's convenient at the time, as with anything that happens to catch my fancy. It's been forever having a pizza in Montreal and it was more often disappointing where as in Ottawa,pleasantly surprised. Of course time has passed and have no idea if the places I know are still operating. :dunno:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looks good,but most pics of food does. Not saying it isn't great,but looked where it was and that would be way out of the way to take a gamble on food,if you know what I'm saying. I don't go way out of may way for an unknown. I'll keep a note though just in case it's convenient at the time, as with anything that happens to catch my fancy. It's been forever having a pizza in Montreal and it was more often disappointing where as in Ottawa,pleasantly surprised. Of course time has passed and have no idea if the places I know are still operating. :dunno:
If you’re attending a game in Laval, it’s less than 30 minutes from the arena.

You may never go to it but that wasn’t the point of my post. Maybe Ottawa and Montreal both have great pizza joints but you can’t really dismiss one over the other unless you’ve tried the best places from both, which I would doubt that you have. ;)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Best pizza is so highly suggestive as there are so many pizza styles.

I'm pretty confident if I could taste every pizza in the world, there would probably be no Italian Pizza in my top 10.

For the same reason, I'm still dreaming about my favorite pizza from Gatineau while I still haven't found a fit in Montreal.

I want to clarify I love Italian style Pizza.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just had this crispy potato recipe tonight — probably the best potatoes I’ve ever had. Only thing is you have to keep turning them at least once more during the 30 minute segment in oven otherwise their bottom will burn. They came out super crispy and the condiments offer a great complement.

Recipe in detail:

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Stopped at a Korean food truck and tried the short ribs, don't remember the last time I had such tasty ribs. We liked them so much we wanted to get the recipe from the operator but turned out he was a prick about it. Strange as when the mrs turns on her charm, she's adorable and a beautiful very fit attractive woman and usually get what she wants. But he was clearly Korean and she clearly Japanese, so maybe that entered into the picture, history rears it's ugly head yet again. When time permits it will be interesting if the recipe can be replicated. :crossfing

View attachment 809158

I'm doing these about twice a year - basically, mid-late spring and late summer, as I'm cooking them on the grill. That's a treat. And it's suprisingly simple : there's quite a bit of ingredients, but all of them are stuff I always keep in the pantry, and the only fresh ingredient (ginger and garlic don't really count here) in my marinade is Kiwi.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

I'm pretty confident if I could taste every pizza in the world, there would probably be no Italian Pizza in my top 10.

For the same reason, I'm still dreaming about my favorite pizza from Gatineau while I still haven't found a fit in Montreal.

What are your pizza recs in Gatineau?

Guiness time

Mar 14, 2007
Went to boucher a la table for a sandwich. It was pretty darn good. Will hit it for dinner soon, bonus is that its a BYOW. Curious if any of the foodies here have tried it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Montreal style pizza is my favourite food. Used to be a gem in the West Island but it’s no longer the same.

The big pepperoni under the thick cheese. It just doesn’t get better than that.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm doing these about twice a year - basically, mid-late spring and late summer, as I'm cooking them on the grill. That's a treat. And it's suprisingly simple : there's quite a bit of ingredients, but all of them are stuff I always keep in the pantry, and the only fresh ingredient (ginger and garlic don't really count here) in my marinade is Kiwi.
I admit that I took a quick peek at a few recipes and noticed some called for kiwi, didn't see that coming! As always so many recipes but which is the one to use? More often than not I/we get it right if not on the first attempt, soon after. The most lengthy one to perfect was Vindaloo, took a while but finally nailed that elusive bastard!

If you got one for the ribs, would appreciate it you could find a link for it, thanks.

Just had this crispy potato recipe tonight — probably the best potatoes I’ve ever had. Only thing is you have to keep turning them at least once more during the 30 minute segment in oven otherwise their bottom will burn. They came out super crispy and the condiments offer a great complement.

Recipe in detail:

Brings back the days of when Vieux Duluth, Casa Grec and the like were around, loved then taters.:thumbu::thumbu:

Everyone has their own unique tastes, preferences, some like tea over coffee, Lager over Pilsner, etc etc...........

Maybe you know a tried and true recipe for Korean ribs, you are or were a Koreaboo right? or have you grown out of that phase?, thanks if you do.

And what's the pizza place in Gatineau called, never know and it's good to know. Thanks!

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If you’re attending a game in Laval, it’s less than 30 minutes from the arena.

You may never go to it but that wasn’t the point of my post. Maybe Ottawa and Montreal both have great pizza joints but you can’t really dismiss one over the other unless you’ve tried the best places from both, which I would doubt that you have. ;)
I'm nothing if not flexible, kudos to my fitness regime that incorporates yoga and kamu sutra. Like they say, there is no exercise like sexercise!:naughty:
No scheduling carved in stone and will be winging it for the most part aside from staying in the Townships and Laurentians, so it might work out.
The one you mentioned, almost positive I've been there at some point, looked somewhat familiar from the pics. Is this the owner that kept burning down the Mikes? :dunno: If it was around in the late 70's,80's or 90's, odds are good as had my share of acquaintances/friends in the area and went to some dance clubs in the vicinity and out for eats. Had a good stretch where it seemed a lot of Italian girls had a thing for me, which was reciprocated btw, and who isn't into Italian girls? figuratively speaking of course, literally too on occasion, ;) still have bruises from all the pinching I got. It has been decades since trying it,if indeed it was sampled, but we'll see. Can't say what was good or not from so long ago.

The last ones I remember that were good was Coronet and Ouest Antoino's and even they were not as good as they once were, usually end up being disappointed where as Ottawa was not. Anyways, not a huge pizza eater and prefer my own, just going to try a few things that catch my eye.

Little off topic, but do you know if Mutsumi is still working the anchor on the news? I should drop in unexpectedly, it would blow her mind!:nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm nothing if not flexible, kudos to my fitness regime that incorporates yoga and kamu sutra. Like they say, there is no exercise like sexercise!:naughty:
No scheduling carved in stone and will be winging it for the most part aside from staying in the Townships and Laurentians, so it might work out.
The one you mentioned, almost positive I've been there at some point, looked somewhat familiar from the pics. Is this the owner that kept burning down the Mikes? :dunno: If it was around in the late 70's,80's or 90's, odds are good as had my share of acquaintances/friends in the area and went to some dance clubs in the vicinity and out for eats. Had a good stretch where it seemed a lot of Italian girls had a thing for me, which was reciprocated btw, and who isn't into Italian girls? figuratively speaking of course, literally too on occasion, ;) still have bruises from all the pinching I got. It has been decades since trying it,if indeed it was sampled, but we'll see. Can't say what was good or not from so long ago.

The last ones I remember that were good was Coronet and Ouest Antoino's and even they were not as good as they once were, usually end up being disappointed where as Ottawa was not. Anyways, not a huge pizza eater and prefer my own, just going to try a few things that catch my eye.

Little off topic, but do you know if Mutsumi is still working the anchor on the news? I should drop in unexpectedly, it would blow her mind!:nod:
Yup, Mutsumi still anchoring and going strong.

• Wow

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What are your pizza recs in Gatineau?

I admit that I took a quick peek at a few recipes and noticed some called for kiwi, didn't see that coming! As always so many recipes but which is the one to use? More often than not I/we get it right if not on the first attempt, soon after. The most lengthy one to perfect was Vindaloo, took a while but finally nailed that elusive bastard!

If you got one for the ribs, would appreciate it you could find a link for it, thanks.

Brings back the days of when Vieux Duluth, Casa Grec and the like were around, loved then taters.:thumbu::thumbu:

Everyone has their own unique tastes, preferences, some like tea over coffee, Lager over Pilsner, etc etc...........

Maybe you know a tried and true recipe for Korean ribs, you are or were a Koreaboo right? or have you grown out of that phase?, thanks if you do.

And what's the pizza place in Gatineau called, never know and it's good to know. Thanks!

The place was José Pizza. Haven't been back there for a few years now though.

And for Korean, can't say I dabbled enough to make a good recommendation.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

Coronet is still amazing pizza.

Just had it on Friday. It's my go to for Montreal style pizza.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I made something I could basically call a sushi casserole for the week and I realized about an hour later it was something of a TikTok Cullinary trend and now I'm a bit pissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad