Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
They went down that road with Babcock and it didn't get them anywhere, Keefe came from their AHL affiliate, so how different is that than promoting the assistant?
It is possible they will promote an assistant, perhaps even go with the AHL coach given Gruden is in already in their development system. They don't need to request permission to speak with him unlike the Sens. That said, I contend that their position is not dissimilar from the Sens in that their window is closing fast for their megastars. For that reason I suggest they will opt to go very big. As with Ottawa, the fan base will demand a quick fix, not another try out for a coach with no NHL head coaching record. If the Leafs (or Ottawa) go the zero NHL experience route they will be faced with and have to accept the fan's much shorter patience. It is doable but very risky.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, now that our Rookie GMs preferred next Head Coach of the Senators had his season ended, which day this week will he be announced as the next Head coach?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
“We'll do some of the US matchups on the other side. Elliotte's NHL coaches and the presence of Craig Barube in all of it.
I said this on Friday and I believe it even more on the weekend. I'm really curious to see what happens here because I think he's at the top of some of these lists. I think it in Ottawa, I think it potentially in Jersey, and I don't think San Jose.
I don't think that makes a lot of sense. I don't get that feeling anyway. But I got to think if you're one of these teams that really likes Barube, how long are you going to wait until maybe somebody who's in the playoffs gets eliminated and says, hmm, we might want to join this race?
So I'm curious to see if some of these teams that are looking at him are saying, we have to move quick. And so I think that's one thing to keep an eye during the week. Now, I saw your Rink Fries blog on Sunday, and I don't know which one of your children you dictated that to while you were comatose here.”

From 32 Thoughts: The Podcast: The First Round Grind Is Setting In, Apr 29, 2024

This material may be protected by copyright.

Seems like we might see a hiring this week.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Strange how Garrioch went from saying the Berube ship has sailed to they’re interviewing him and now to Friedman talking about how much Ottawa likes him within the span of a week.

Oh well, not complaining.

This is true of most fanbases with losing teams. It doesn’t mean the coach is bad.
He is not a good coach, penguins fans have been calling for his firing for at least 5 seasons now, even when they were consistently making the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He is not a good coach, penguins fans have been calling for his firing for at least 5 seasons now, even when they were consistently making the playoffs.
Penguins fans have expectations that aren't aligned with reality after so many years of having generational players at their peak; they don't understand that 37 Malkin, 36 year old Crosby and 36 yr old Letang can't carry a team anymore and blame the coach. They just don't have a great roster anymore and have been spoiled from being good for almost all of Crosby's career on the back of him turning plugs into legit top 6 line options.

Whether Pens fans complain about him or not, it has very little bearing on whether he's a good coach or not, they'd be complaining if they had Scotty Bowman with Al Arbour as an assistant.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Seems like we might see a hiring this week.
Like I posted earlier....Marlies season is over.... nothing to stop the rookie gm from bringing in his buddy.

1714397745431.png

Berube was already fired, by the Blues....has never coached in Pittsburgh?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Berube's success came with a veteran team that played heavy hockey along with a good and hot goalie.

2019 .. so many vets closer to the end of their career now.. Had lots in the tank then

Forwards
Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Maroon - Bozak - Blais
Barbashev - Sundqvist - Steen
Defense
Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Edmundson - Dunn
Goalie
Binnington

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It is just mobile.
I am logged in when I reply on a thread.

No idea what happen to former mod status. Maybe got in trouble too many times.
When we upgraded to xenoforum, the ad free mod privilege because a "style" that you had to select, if you go to the bottom of a page, you should see a style choose drop down with options like "HF Light" and HF Dark", if you have former mod status there should be "HF Light (ad free)" and "HF Dark (ad free)". If those aren't there, we'll have to start a petition and get 10k signatures to return you to your former glory...

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Berube's success came with a veteran team that played heavy hockey along with a good and hot goalie.

2019 .. so many vets closer to the end of their career now.. Had lots in the tank then

Forwards
Maroon - Bozak - Blais
Defense
Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Edmundson - Dunn
Goalie
Binnington
That’s a bit where I’m at. If Binnington performed in those playoffs as he usually does we wouldn’t even be talking about Berube as a big fish right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That’s a bit where I’m at. If Binnington performed in those playoffs as he usually does we wouldn’t even be talking about Berube as a big fish right now.
It's all what have you done for me lately with coaches, and the vast majority of times the coach could be swapped out for a dozen other guys to the same finish

Reactions: GCK

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Forwards
Maroon - Bozak - Blais
Defense
Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Edmundson - Dunn
Goalie
Binnington

On November 19, 2018, the Blues fired head coach Mike Yeo and named Berube interim coach for the rest of the season. The Blues struggled at first under Berube's watch; at the start of the 2019 calendar year, they were 15–18–4 and last in the league standings. However, they improved through the remainder of the season, going 30–10–5, including a franchise-record 11-game winning streak.
And they ended up winning the Cup that year. Coaching was the difference.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On November 19, 2018, the Blues fired head coach Mike Yeo and named Berube interim coach for the rest of the season. The Blues struggled at first under Berube's watch; at the start of the 2019 calendar year, they were 15–18–4 and last in the league standings. However, they improved through the remainder of the season, going 30–10–5, including a franchise-record 11-game winning streak.
Binnington was called up 16 Dec,

Under Yeo, they were 7-9-3, the Blues then went 5-5-1 under Berube from 21 Nov 2018 to 15 Dec.
Binnington came in in relief his first two games (both loses), before going 13-1-1 in his first 15 starts.

I'm not going to say St-Louis' turn around was entirely Binnington, but going from Jake Allen to Binnington played a significant role, without Binnington (and his .927 sv%), can you honestly say they for sure make the playoffs little lone win the cup?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Binnington was called up 16 Dec,

Under Yeo, they were 7-9-3, the Blues then went 5-5-1 under Berube from 21 Nov 2018 to 15 Dec.
Binnington came in in relief his first two games (both loses), before going 13-1-1 in his first 15 starts.

I'm not going to say St-Louis' turn around was entirely Binnington, but going from Jake Allen to Binnington played a significant role, without Binnington (and his .927 sv%), can you honestly say they for sure make the playoffs little lone win the cup?

Binnington played his part, but the team played better in front of him as well.
Sv% is on the goalie, sure, but it's also on how many high quality chances the team is allowing as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not saying he isn't a good coach. Just commenting on the roster he had which doesn't even loosely resemble the Sens roster.
If Berube is their guy.. I don't have any issues with that I am sure they will do their best to vet the available coaches.
He definitely was part of that run and it all came together for the Blues and not going to take anything away from Berube being a part of that mix.
Sometimes things just fit.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Binnington played his part, but the team played better in front of him as well.
Sv% is on the goalie, sure, but it's also on how many high quality chances the team is allowing as well.

When you look at StL the year before under Yeo, then at the 19 games under Yeo, you can see that he's capable of coaching a strong defenive game. The underlying numbers still improved under Berube (particularly offensive ones), but it wasn't a case of trash coach replaced by wonderkin, goaltending was a big factor.

Coach
GP
CF/60
CA/60
CF%
GF/60
GA/60
GF%
xGF/60
xGA/60
xGF%
SCF/60