Prospect Info: The 2021/2022 Prospects Thread

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Canucks with the fourth worst prospect pool in the league according to Byron Bader’s model.

Coincidentally they also have the fourth worst record in the league over both the four and five seasons before this one, when those prospect pools were built. Really impressive stuff.

Of the bottom 8 teams on this list, 6 are old teams coming out of contending windows who mortgaged the future, 1 is Seattle who have existed for a single year, and the other is us .

Prospect pool means nothing when all your young "prospects" are in the NHL. Would you rather have a #1 prospect system with no players on your NHL roster or a bunch of young players on your NHL roster and no prospects

If you rated franchises based on their NHL talent pool born after January 1 2000, we wouldn't be in the top half of that either.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Of the bottom 8 teams on this list, 6 are old teams coming out of contending windows who mortgaged the future, 1 is Seattle who have existed for a single year, and the other is us .

If you rated franchises based on their NHL talent pool born after January 1 2000, we wouldn't be in the top half of that either.
Quinn and Mcdonough are late 1999 birthday's, but im sure you nit picked date that for that reason. Try doing it by draft year....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Quinn and Mcdonough are late 1999 birthday's, but im sure you nit picked date that for that reason. Try doing it by draft year....

Same for under-23 talent.

McDonough is a nothingburger.

Like, I'm sitting right now watching the Carolina Hurricanes who were a top-5 team in NHL this year, are middle-of-the-pack in that prospect ranking, and have Svechnikov/Necas/Jarvis/Kotkaniemi as U-23 established NHL players.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Same for under-23 talent.

McDonough is a nothingburger.
So Hughes, Petey, Hoglander, Podz, and Rathbone definitely put you in the top half of the league. Petey and Hughes alone should put you near the top 10

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So Hughes, Petey, Hoglander, Podz, and Rathbone definitely put you in the top half of the league. Petey and Hughes alone should put you near the top 10

Pettersson is a 1998. The guy has been in the league for 4 seasons and turns 24 later this year. He has nothing to do with prospect pools. There are no players born in 1998 who are impacting prospect pools in any way.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As we move into the 3 round of the CHL playoffs we see ourselves saying goodbye to the Red Deer Rebels and with them Arshdeep Bains. He finishes his 10-game playoff run with 4 goals and 6 assists. Our two other prospects are each moving onto another series that brings them another step closer to winning their league and perhaps the Memorial Cup.

Viktor Persson and the Kamloops Blazers have only dropped two games in their run thus far. Persson has 4 assists and is +7 while averaging 2 shots per game. He and his team will face the winner of the ongoing Thunderbirds vs Winterhawks series.

Ethan Keppen and the Flint Firebirds have has a scrappier run with their opening series going to 7 games but they seem to be getting stronger as their next series was taken in 5. He's currently nursing a 4 game cold streak but will come into his team's series against Spitfires with 5 goals and 3 assists in 12 games.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Viktor Persson's Upcoming Schedule

GameVisitorHomeDateTime
1Seattle@KamloopsFriday, May 207:00
2Seattle@KamloopsSaturday, May 217:00
3Kamloops@SeattleTuesday, May 247:05
4Kamloops@SeattleWednesday, May 257:05
5 *Seattle@KamloopsFriday, May 277:00
6 *Kamloops@SeattleSunday, May 295:05
7 *Seattle@KamloopsTuesday, May 317:00

Ethan Keppen's Upcoming Schedule

1Sat, May 21FLNT0WSR07:05 PMWFCU Centre
2Mon, May 23FLNT0WSR07:05 PMWFCU Centre
3Wed, May 25WSR0FLNT07:00 PMDort Financial Center
4Fri, May 27WSR0FLNT07:00 PMDort Financial Center
5Sun, May 29FLNT0WSR07:05 PMWFCU Centre
6Tue, May 31WSR0FLNT07:00 PMDort Financial Center
7Wed, Jun 1FLNT0WSR07:05 PMWFCU Centre

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is purely stat scouting:

Jasek has a teammate, Jiri Smejkal, who’s had a breakout season at 24 years of age.

He’s a 6’4” and 225 pound LW. He has struggled to put up points in the WHL, KHL, Czech pro league and the Liiga (until this season)…

He’s played 5 pro seasons now.
His numbers started to improve the 2 seasons before this one, and this year he finished at over a PPG (led the team in that department over Jasek), and he led the team in goals with 25 (Jasek had 13).

I don’t know what kind of wheels he has, but as a 24 year old that has 5 pro seasons under his belt, if he can skate, he’s the kind of guy that would be worth looking further at.
Smejkal is signed with Oskarshamn in Sweden for 2022-23 (probably a significant raise and a little more competitive league).

It should give an indication of his long range potential.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Feeling a case of prospect depression set in as I watch Logan Stankoven cap off a 45 goal, 104 point season in 59GP, to go on to put up 10 points in his first three playoff games. This kid is absolutely relentless on the puck and never stops working. Having a Brayden Point like ascension right now.

Absolute lay up of a pick in the 2nd round.

Hat trick last night in conference finals puts him up to a staggering 13G 11A 24P in only 11GP. 60.4% in the FO circle.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
But…we found a guy with better size, and that is always the better method of determining who to pick, right?
I guess the only meaningful comparison at this point might only have come from comparing stats for Stankoven and Klimovich, in a league comparable to the AHL. But of course that didn't happen this season.

I know little about Stankoven, but you always have to to be careful assessing gaudy stats in a league like the WHL. The only meaningful comparison of second round draft picks is at least 2-3 years out.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I guess the only meaningful comparison at this point might only have come from comparing stats for Stankoven and Klimovich, in a league comparable to the AHL. But of course that didn't happen this season.

I know little about Stankoven, but you always have to to be careful assessing gaudy stats in a league like the WHL. The only meaningful comparison of second round draft picks is at least 2-3 years out.

The gaudy stats would be something if they were primarily driven on the PP/driven by a better player, but Stankoven *is* the guy driving the play putting up 40+ points on the 2nd highest scorer, and only of 29 his points are on the powerplay (71 ESP + 4 SHP in 59GP).

If you're able to catch any of his games it's clear this guy has a non-stop motor and is not a perimeter softy.

Reactions: wetcoast

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Merzlikins left today's game with an injury with Latvia down 3-1. Silovs took the net and shut the door in a 4-3 comeback win. We might actually have something in Silovs

11/11 against the Czech's, 29/32 against the Austrians and 6/6 against the Brits. Not crazy high end competition but through parts of three games he has a 1.30 gaa and .939 sp.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over the net from DiPietro (if he's still in Abbotsford).

Reactions: Lindgren

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Merzlikins left today's game with an injury with Latvia down 3-1. Silovs took the net and shut the door in a 4-3 comeback win. We might actually have something in Silovs
Athletically he is much more gifted then Dipietro. I think Dipietro Ceiling is a Halak level Starter while Silvos could be an Allstar goalie. That being said I dont think Dipietro will be anyting more they a Stalock level goalie

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Honestly, I think Spencer Martin's value is going to skyrocket and one of the teams who needs a decent goalie will take a flyer on him for a decent pick. That'll be a good opportunity to bring Silovs up into a back up role. Until then, lots of AHL time.

No idea what will happen with Dipietro.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Honestly, I think Spencer Martin's value is going to skyrocket and one of the teams who needs a decent goalie will take a flyer on him for a decent pick. That'll be a good opportunity to bring Silovs up into a back up role. Until then, lots of AHL time.

No idea what will happen with Dipietro.
The last thing we need to do is rush a goalie with potential to the NHL. Everytime someone has done this it has failed miserable

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
The last thing we need to do is rush a goalie with potential to the NHL. Everytime someone has done this it has failed miserable
I don't think putting him in a backup role behind an elite goalie in the latter half of next season would be 'rushing' him if he continues to develop on this trajectory.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think putting him in a backup role behind an elite goalie in the latter half of next season would be 'rushing' him if he continues to develop on this trajectory.

He’s played so little that the best thing for his development is to stay in the AHL and play as many games as possible.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As good a story as Spencer Martin has been for the Canucks; his signing really hurt Silovs' development. He should have split time with DiPietro for a full season in Abbotsford.

Instead he languished in the press-box or wore a ball-cap on the bench; before finally being dispatched to the ECHL. It's not like the Abbotsford Canucks ended up doing anything in the post-season anyway.

Reactions: Lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He’s too good for the WHL right now.

Obviously lots can happen in an NHL training camp but they have 3 top 9-ish wingers who are UFA and I could very easily see him shifted in to one of those wing positions.

They also have Wyatt Johnston who was one of the last cuts for their roster this past season and is probably too good for the OHL right now.

They didn't have to use a top-10 pick to get either of these guys.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad