WC: TEAM USA

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If Eyssimont was suspended a game, Seider should absolutely be suspended for the semifinal. It's the IIHF, so I don't expect it, but they set the standard, now follow it.

Completely different plays and Eisemont's was more severe. Sandin was injured on the knee to knee hit that Eisemont could have avoided making. The Seider hit wasn't nearly as bad as Seider eased up after the Swiss player turned to make it a boarding. The Swiss player also wasn't injured if I recall. Didn't he continue to play?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Completely different plays and Eisemont's was more severe. Sandin was injured on the knee to knee hit that Eisemont could have avoided making. The Seider hit wasn't nearly as bad as Seider eased up after the Swiss player turned to make it a boarding. The Swiss player also wasn't injured if I recall. Didn't he continue to play?

Eyssimont kneed Sandin because Sandin tried to jump out of the way at the last millisecond to avoid a hit and didn't fully get his left leg out of the way, instead moving it in a place that is the reason there was knee-on-knee impact. Eyssimont didn't stick out his leg when he saw Sandin try to dodge the hit, and he couldn't have avoided it. Sandin was as responsible as Eyssimont, if not more, for it.

Seider saw the Swiss player turn back, saw the numbers, and still drove through his numbers putting his face into the boards. Unlike the Eyssimont situation, there was intent and it was easily avoidable.

I have no expectations that Seider will be suspended but he should be based on the precedent they've set. If there was no precedent, I wouldn't be in favor of a suspension.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
i have to admit that when i saw roster of team usa, i was laught .. and think it is a shitty roster. I expected bigger names but the way how they play how good is this team and how they look on the ice is really beautifull and i hope this team can make gold medal,, lets go USA !

USAH fans, myself heavily included, often overreact to the actual roster because we are endlessly frustrated by the endless declined invites from all of our best players. Our acceptance rate is still pathetic, and it negatively affects our objective assessment of the actual team.

A few of us did point out that even with all the declined invites, they clearly built a roster with an intentional identity - young, fast, quick, pesky, and skilled. They avoided what a lot of the prior management staff did in taking 4th line plugs (i.e., Austin Watson) that aren't a fit for international play. But it's one thing to build an identity on paper and it's another for that identity to be realized. We have had other rosters that should have performed better here - either because they had a good amount of talent, a strong identity, or both - and it didn't pan out.

It gets less attention by fans of Team USA or Canada but the biggest issue the NA teams face isn't that we struggle to get our players to show up (although it's a huge issue, too), but that we don't really prepare for the tournament. We show up a couple of days before the tournament, practice a couple of times, get in 1 exhibition, and then start. Most of the European teams are putting in a ton of preparation for the tournament. Preparation, or the lack thereof, obviously doesn't guarantee team identity or chemistry, but it gives one more insight. US fans just see the roster and think of the 30/40/50+ players who were asked and didn't want to play, have no idea whether the team will actually play with any identity, and thus just wish we had more of our top players show up so we could fall back on elite talent if a team identity isn't realized.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You guys are on the way for gold.

We haven't won a gold in this tournament in 90 years when not counting the times it was automatically awarded to the Olympic gold medalist. And while I don't remember the stats, we've also lost a stupid amount of semifinal games in a row, too.

I sure hope you're right and this team is poised to play for gold but baby steps, please.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Eisemont did not stick his leg out intentionally. He was going for, committed to a hit.

Reactions: AmericanDream

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
No thank you. I've already watched the US lose gold to Canada in the 2002 and 2010 Olympics and I've never seen the US in the gold medal game here. I don't know if I could stomach them making the gold medal game and losing to Canada.
US is my second team in this tourney, so as long as they play for Gold I’m happy. But obviously I can’t cheer for them over my boys.

But what a tourney for this team. Gotta be proud no matter what. Hopefully they do well going forward. I think this program needs a big win or two and more big names will start coming.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How's Kleven been?

Steady.

The defense has been strong for the most part. As a group they had a lot of defensive lapses that led to odd-man breaks in the first few games but they've really cleaned that up over the last few games. Perbix has probably been our weakest defenseman overall, which says a lot as you'd expect him to be one of our best, but he's cleaned up a lot of the issues that plagued him in the first few games of the tournament.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
We haven't won a gold in this tournament in 90 years when not counting the times it was automatically awarded to the Olympic gold medalist. And while I don't remember the stats, we've also lost a stupid amount of semifinal games in a row, too.

I sure hope you're right and this team is poised to play for gold but baby steps, please.

11 straight semifinal losses, to be exact

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Steady.

The defense has been strong for the most part. As a group they had a lot of defensive lapses that led to odd-man breaks in the first few games but they've really cleaned that up over the last few games. Perbix has probably been our weakest defenseman overall, which says a lot as you'd expect him to be one of our best, but he's cleaned up a lot of the issues that plagued him in the first few games of the tournament.
No kidding

6 straight Semi-Final losses since 2013 alone - 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2022. And in total 0-11 in the Semifinals in the current format which began in 1992.

That's honestly hard to do. You'd think they'd get lucky and break through one of those years.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
P
7th from the top on the ESPN website Top Headlines. Right below Zach Wilson's brother committing to Utah.
I’m surprised it is even on the top headlines scroll given how off the radar this tournament is even in hockey circles in the US. The tournament is only on tv because the NHL has its own channel and needs to fill content. This tournament historically (even going back a decade ago) is wasn’t even broadcast in the US. Which is why team USA has the hardest time getting guys to show up.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The bright side is that 7 Semifinals in the last 10 Tournaments (there was no 2020 tournament) is a clear step up from what came before it (reflective of the increased American talent pool even as participation remains pitiful). This is a pretty great opportunity for a breakthrough, so hopefully they can take advantage.

Switzerland (2013), Russia (2015), Canada (2016), Sweden (2018), Canada (2021) and Finland (2022) have been the ones to knock the USA out at this stage the last six times. Basically, everyone's gotten their turn to beat USA in the Semis recently and Germany is hoping to be the next one on that list...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I’m surprised it is even on the top headlines scroll given how off the radar this tournament is even in hockey circles in the US. The tournament is only on tv because the NHL has its own channel and needs to fill content. This tournament historically (even going back a decade ago) is wasn’t even broadcast in the US. Which is why team USA has the hardest time getting guys to show up.
Blink and you'll miss it, down to 8th now. It'll be gone soon I reckon.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
No kidding

6 straight Semi-Final losses since 2013 alone - 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2022. And in total 0-11 in the Semifinals in the current format which began in 1992.

That's honestly hard to do. You'd think they'd get lucky and break through one of those years.

The funny thing is, in that timeframe we've tried at least two different approaches.

Sending relatively talented teams in 2013 and 2018 didn't work out. The classic "team you least expect actually breaks through" method in the last 2 years (and also in 2015) didn't work out either.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Is there a reason why USAH doesn't host a formal WC team training camp?

There's a window of opportunity after the end of NHL and AHL regular seasons and the NCAA tournament. That could provide at least a couple of weeks for practice, defining systems, working on special teams, building an identity, etc. Plug in additional NHL regulars who fit that emerging team as they become available during Round 1 of the NHL playoffs.

That way a legitimate team could be sent to the tournament, rather than a collection of individuals.

Maybe USAH isn't willing to make a significant investment in a tournament with minimal interest to American hockey fans.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

There's a window of opportunity after the end of NHL and AHL regular seasons and the NCAA tournament. That could provide at least a couple of weeks for practice, defining systems, working on special teams, building an identity, etc. Plug in additional NHL regulars who fit that emerging team as they become available during Round 1 of the NHL playoffs.

That way a legitimate team could be sent to the tournament, rather than a collection of individuals.

Maybe USAH isn't willing to make a significant investment in a tournament with minimal interest to American hockey fans.
Players wouldn't have it, realistically. They don't want to commit more time than necessary and certainly don't want to commit time just to get cut from the team anyways.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Not sure we would get any better of a turnout if we held camp at a Vegas strip club...

• Haha

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
USA Canada final
Fantilli finds scoring touch and scores 3

Giving me a serious case of divided emotions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad