Speculation: Team most likely to rebuild

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Sadly with both Father and Son Lamoriello set to run the Islanders for the next 50 years I doubt they rebuild.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think that currently, Calgary should try to compete.

They are tied by way too many bad contracts to be able to really blow it up IMO

Might as well try to win and sell high one of those bad contracts

The Flames have only 2 bad contracts and they don’t make much of a difference on the ices.

Markstrom and Anderrson are likely gone, after that it is bare bones.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Can't climb out of the hole we've dug for ourselves, so let's dig it deeper!

No one is going to take Huberdeau, he is the only really terrible contract, and no one is going to touch that regardless of a having a good season.

What's the alternative?

Missing the playoffs for years, but only borderline so you don't get good picks?

Ledge And Dairy

Should be Calgary, but i think they might try to be competitive.
Calgary will sell off Mangiapane and Kuzmenko for sure. They will likely try to move Markstrom this summer too. Sharangovich is a bit up in the air, I am personally of the mindset we should move him while his value is this high due to cap hit but I could absolutely see the Flames extending him.

Flames won't tear it down to ground because they literally can't due to the Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri contracts. But they will almost certainly be doing a partial rebuild at least, in the same way NYR, DAL, and LAK did.

Ledge And Dairy

What's the alternative?

Missing the playoffs for years, but only borderline so you don't get good picks?
Ask Dallas how they did it with Benn and Seguin? Or LA with Doughty and Kopitar. Calgary is in the same boat. They have good prospects, good vets, and good depth. Their issue is their only "star" player is a guy with a career high of 30 goals.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Flyers.

Losing their starting goalie out of the blue and their Selke C now 31 and dealing with injuries every year. Are they really positioned to turn a corner anytime soon?

Might be smart to test the market on Konecny or potentially move a guy with a lot of term left. They've got a couple years before Michkov comes over.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
capitals or pens

Caps, Pens and Kings are all in similar situations - they all have HOF players who have won Cups but those players all have high cap hits and not many good years left. The heart strings want to give them another year or two to try to win another Cup but the longer the team waits to hit the reset button - the longer the rebuild will take.

Reactions: BLONG7

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
capitals or pens
At some point ownership and management need to sit down with Sid to figure out how many more years he wishes to play. IMO, if he's for sure playing past the final year of his contract, it's really best for the team and Sid to part ways via a trade. Playing well enough that it's a shame he's not in the PO. If Sid is going to retire after this upcoming season, then you keep him and let him be a career Penguin. Letang, given his trade protection and SB loaded contract, can't see him getting acquired.

Caps. Outside of Carlson's final 2 years, there isn't anything high end to sell. Oshie may land on LTIR with Backstrom. Retained half on Kuz. Wilson next season begins his 7 year contract. Yeesh.... Keeping Ovy to break the goals record for his final 2 years. They are no longer signing vets for term or trading away younger players for older ones.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Which team is most likely, not necessarily the most in need of a rebuild, but the most likely to start trading away their current core/veterans in exchange for picks and prospects?
This is not a sell everything off sale but sending out 2-4 vets for futures

Calgary should
St louis should
Toronto should
Philadelphia shoulf

Winnipeg, LA, washington has a chance

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Ask Dallas how they did it with Benn and Seguin? Or LA with Doughty and Kopitar. Calgary is in the same boat. They have good prospects, good vets, and good depth. Their issue is their only "star" player is a guy with a career high of 30 goals.
Dallas did it by having the draft class to end all draft classes, so it's not really practical to emulate them.

LA got lucky with how well Doughty and Kopitar have aged. If they all aged like Dustin Brown it would have been way uglier.

The problem is that Calgary has no elite talent (skaters, not including Wolf) in prospects or active players. It's going to take a few painful years for the Flames to assemble a real competitive core. Whether that process starts now or later is for manage t to decide

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
What's the alternative?

If they were to trade Markstrom, Anderson, and Kuzmenko for futures, there's no way this Flames team finishes above 10th. Will their owners let this happen, unlikely, but it would offer them a the rest of the capital they would need to rebuild properly.

It would be a bummer to see Rasmus go though.

Ledge And Dairy

Dallas did it by having the draft class to end all draft classes, so it's not really practical to emulate them.

LA got lucky with how well Doughty and Kopitar have aged. If they all aged like Dustin Brown it would have been way uglier.

The problem is that Calgary has no elite talent (skaters, not including Wolf) in prospects or active players. It's going to take a few painful years for the Flames to assemble a real competitive core. Whether that process starts now or later is for manage t to decide
I never said an exact replica of Dallas, I was referring to the quick turn around. Calgary already has their Oettinger and some quality prospects. Maybe none of those prospects turn out to be 1st line caliber players but I would say 2nd line is still within reason. What they need most is a 1C.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
I never said an exact replica of Dallas, I was referring to the quick turn around. Calgary already has their Oettinger and some quality prospects. Maybe none of those prospects turn out to be 1st line caliber players but I would say 2nd line is still within reason. What they need most is a 1C.
But that's the issue, is it not? They're missing a 1D, a proper 1C, and at least one genuine scoring winger. Wolf has potential to be the next starter, but thats a lot of eggs in one basket (I do love him though).

Dallas rebuilt quickly because they lucked out in 2017. LA could retool because Doughty and Kopitar are evergreen (and LA is an easy sell to FAs).

I don't see either of those being routes as practical for Calgary. So what's the plan other than to commit to drafting to find that elite talent?

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Agreed with Flames (already started), Leafs (ought to move Marner/ Tavares for pieces to build up depth), and Capitals (probably more likely just phase out the old guard and give them a chance to win elsewhere as pending UFA if they want; the D has some older but serviceable guys so it's not really the worst, and any early pick they get could really jumpstart the retool; Strome/ McMichael as 1-2 isn't the worst up the middle presuming Connor keeps developing, but after Ovie, Wilson, Oshie and Patches the wings could really use some help).

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Agreed with Flames (already started), Leafs (ought to move Marner/ Tavares for pieces to build up depth), and Capitals (probably more likely just phase out the old guard and give them a chance to win elsewhere as pending UFA if they want; the D has some older but serviceable guys so it's not really the worst, and any early pick they get could really jumpstart the retool; Strome/ McMichael as 1-2 isn't the worst up the middle presuming Connor keeps developing, but after Ovie, Wilson, Oshie and Patches the wings could really use some help).
Lapierre is better than McMichael and younger. So up the middle we are younger already, problem is, unless Lapierre really pops, none of them are a #1 center.

Ledge And Dairy

But that's the issue, is it not? They're missing a 1D, a proper 1C, and at least one genuine scoring winger. Wolf has potential to be the next starter, but thats a lot of eggs in one basket (I do love him though).

Dallas rebuilt quickly because they lucked out in 2017. LA could retool because Doughty and Kopitar are evergreen (and LA is an easy sell to FAs).

I don't see either of those being routes as practical for Calgary. So what's the plan other than to commit to drafting to find that elite talent?
I'm not saying this is a 1 year process but it's probably 2-3. The problem is it's either a fast rebuild or a 10 year rebuild.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really see anyone that isn't already basically in some phase of a rebuild suddenly decided to join that fray right now.

The Capitals might be a team that has to take some steps back by default over the next few years. But i don't see a real "blow it up" sort of rebuild being kicked off there.

Most of the other bubble teams are just going to continue to stay the course with a retool attempt around their primary core. Maybe sell off some peripheral pieces and expiring older players here and there, but still aiming for playoffs.

Philly are a weird case in that i think they already entered a rebuild that they'll continue, but were a competitive bubble team this year. So i wouldn't classify them as "entering a rebuild". They're already in it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How many franchise changing players have there been in recent drafts in the top 5?

23 - Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, Smith, Reinbacher - Bedard for sure
22 - Slaf, Nemec, Cooley, Wright, Gauthier - No one yet
21 - Power, Beniers, MacTavish, L. Hughes, Johsnon - No one yet
20 - Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Sanderson - No one yet. Stutzle/Raymond into the very good range
19 - J. Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Bryam, Turcotte - J. Hughes only. Don't see it from the other 3 F.
18 - Dahlin, Svech, KK, Tkachuck, Hayton - Dahlin, Svech, Tkachcuk all into the very good range.
17 - Nico, Patrick, Makar, Heiskenan, Pettersson - Last 3 I'd put into franchise changing. Nico into very good.
16 - Matthew,s Laine, Puju, PLD, Juolevi - Matthews yes. Laine started out amazing but slowed down. If Tkachuck was taken where he was ranked, he'd be one.
15 - McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin. First 2 I'd say yes. Marner? Has the numbers in regular season to be up there.
14 - Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisitl, MDC. Leon yes. Ekblad very good. Reinhart, really took a jump after leaving Buf after 6 seasons in the NHL. So, say no since he broke out in his UFA years.

Last 10 drafts, have 9 for sure franchise changers. Would be 10 if you had Matt Tkachuck drafted where he should have been. And a few others who are close. So, talking like 1 for sure a year on average with stretching it to get another 1 very good in the top 5.

So, no guaranteed that the draft gets you that franchise guy. As it's about 1 per year and if you don't get that one?

Reactions: BillDineen

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There are very few teams who go into an offseason with teh mindset of "I'm going to tear down".

Typically, if you see a player traded for picks/prospects in the offseason, it's because they want to spend the cap differently, not because they're embarking upon a rebuild.

"teardowns" happen at the deadline, and are typically forced by poor play.... like what Calgary did this year with Hanifin, Lindholm, Zadorov and Tanev. Inexplicably, they manages to play pretty well after that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Tampa should take a least one more shot IMO. That's a quality roster. No way they blow it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad