Tavares Worst Captain Ever

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Screenshot-1.png

Love the somewhat official Pajama Boy nickname.

I've always liked JT, obvious that he's the silent leader type. Worst captain ever? Tis a thread with the sole purpose of garnering inflammatory responses from Leafs fans.

Reactions: Barnum and sayonara

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Over reaction city.

The problem is he isn't a fiery leader kind of guy. Great player to be sure. I just think the bland leadership style shows in the bland leafs identity.

They're masters of milking the easy juices, but when it's time to squeeze to get the juice, they wilt.

The fix to that right now? Not sure, but the leafs do need new captain sooner then later as Tavares contract is finished next year.

Matthews should be that guy given his contract. Does he have the fire burning leader in him the team needs? To be seen.

As a Sens fan, I hope not, but Matthews is a real beast of an enemy so will see soon

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Chris Chelios said the other day on broadcast that when he played for the Red Wings nobody wanted to make eye contact with Yzerman after they lost a game. Yzerman would gaze at guys in the locker room challenging anyone to make eye contact him. He said everyone kept their heads down.

I think Maple Leafs guys take turns blowing spit wads at Tavaras after a loss...

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
The only thing Isles fans regret about losing Tavares was not getting back anything in a trade. Overrated. Always on the ice for backbreaking goals. Not captain material. Slow. Overpaid. I'm sure I'm leaving something out but you get the idea.

Edit: I have to add, I don't think a single Isles player expressed any remorse he left the organization. It was as if no one on the organization gave af.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Still can’t believe this guy went first overall. Hedman should have been #1.

Tavares isn’t even PPG in his career

2009 was a weak draft year for forwards. Tavares has only put up 80+ points 4 times in his career, only twice with the Leafs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I like how you blasted Tavares for not going to war with you and then want to anoint another guy as captain who wouldn't go to war with you in Matthews.
maybe , but one guy is an elite game breaking talent that can turn a nothing play into a goal while the other hangs around crease/slot popping out to get nothing touches to pad his stats and is constantly out of position because he plays like a winger

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Dont mind me, i'm just sipping from the sideline knowing that the Tavares contract was a bad idea since day 1 for Toronto

:popcorn:

Reactions: Koolboss

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
His contract wasn't a great decision, but it's not Tavares' fault Toronto's front offense never got a convincing D core (which would include a legit #1D) or goalie. He hasn't done enough in the playoffs, but he could be a playoff monster and the Leafs wouldn't have gotten far with the roster flaws they have. It's easier to blame the captain though

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The worst ever? No.

An overrated player? Yes.

He’s the Joe Thornton of his generation. Undeniable skill, a black hole of intensity.

He’ll put up points as his team underperforms and yet fans will claim he lacks support.
Literally been what people have defended him with his entire career.

"He had no one to play with when he was with the Islanders. Just wait how much he explodes offensively when he has elite linemates. 100+ point player with elite wingers"

Tavares proceeds to wet fart his way to a career high of 88 points playing next to Mitch Marner and getting to play with Matthews on the PP.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Imagine thinking Matthews is the guy to take the Leafs to the promise land.

Guy mails it in every playoffs

Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad