Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Mentioned this in another thread... but realistically, as a guy with 3 young kids, the only way he goes anywhere is if it becomes clear that the Leafs aren't resigning him, and it's either "we move now, or we move in a year".

In that case, in order to get JT to waive, that team would almost certainly have to meet all of the below criteria:

1. A desirable city / location to be in.
2. A chance at winning a cup in the next few years.
3. A willingness to sign JT to an extension, likely with an NMC.

Given where JT is at financially, completing a $77m deal and $100m in career earnings, I get the sense that this isn't a "Foligno-type situation" where the money is just too good to pass up in Chicago and forego a cup.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the sales pitch to John Tavares is "you're either getting traded or getting bought out, your choice".

The Leafs should have to pay Chicago to take him though, it's a massive favor to them. Chicago can just sign some other old guys if they want to. The Leafs don't have as much choice. They really have to move on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think the sales pitch to John Tavares is "you're either getting traded or getting bought out, your choice".

The Leafs should have to pay Chicago to take him though, it's a massive favor to them. Chicago can just sign some other old guys if they want to. The Leafs don't have as much choice. They really have to move on.
He’s not getting bought out.

They aren’t buying him out because of the signing bonus, only 910k can be bought out.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
one option would be excepting a trade with a buyout in place. he only loses about $350K in salary and then he can sign with another playoff team this this offseason. maybe 2024 1st for a 2024 2nd Vancouver (from hawks) going back. having another 11 mil to work with for Toronto this off season would be huge. then they don't have to trade marner and can add some D. Tavares looks to be slowing down. 34 when the season starts. its probably better for him to get a new contract this off season then next. IE this year maybe 3 X 5. next might be a 2 X 3 mil

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

JT isn't an idiot... why would the Leafs buy him out, when all it would do is save them like $600k? You can't even bring up a league minimum guy to replace him.

one option would be excepting a trade with a buyout in place. he only loses about $350K in salary and then he can sign with another playoff team this this offseason. maybe 2024 1st for a 2024 2nd Vancouver (from hawks) going back. having another 11 mil to work with for Toronto this off season would be huge. then they don't have to trade marner and can add some D. Tavares looks to be slowing down. 34 when the season starts. its probably better for him to get a new contract this off season then next. IE this year maybe 3 X 5. next might be a 2 X 3 mil

The buyout window is before July 1. Buying him out is not only going to cost a team $10.3m in cap space this year and $300k next year, but $10.6m in real cash. That is a MASSIVE ask for a team, and going to cost the Leafs so much in terms of futures, that they wont have anything left to go out and use towards spending that money on high-value players.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, the only possible way Tavares goes is if the leafs dont want to re-sign him, and some other team that is a contender, and in a desirable destination, wants to do so with a likely full NMC. At that point, assuming JT looks at it as "I can move to X this year, or I can move next year"; you get a bottom feeder involved on July 2nd to retain 50% of his contract along the way.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
JT isn't an idiot... why would the Leafs buy him out, when all it would do is save them like $600k? You can't even bring up a league minimum guy to replace him.

The buyout window is before July 1. Buying him out is not only going to cost a team $10.3m in cap space this year and $300k next year, but $10.6m in real cash. That is a MASSIVE ask for a team, and going to cost the Leafs so much in terms of futures, that they wont have anything left to go out and use towards spending that money on high-value players.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, the only possible way Tavares goes is if the leafs dont want to re-sign him, and some other team that is a contender, and in a desirable destination, wants to do so with a likely full NMC. At that point, assuming JT looks at it as "I can move to X this year, or I can move next year"; you get a bottom feeder involved on July 2nd to retain 50% of his contract along the way.
the hawks would be the only team that might do it at cost that is not insane. the are a large Market team and have the most cap space of any team. they would be paying 7.646 to move up 36 or so spots in the draft

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
the hawks would be the only team that might do it at cost that is not insane. the are a large Market team and have the most cap space of any team. they would be paying 7.646 to move up 36 or so spots in the draft

The cost for the Leafs to "offload" JT's contract to a team that would buy him out would be insane.

It cost them a first rounder to ditch Marleau. This is substantially larger than that.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dude Tavares is not going anywhere, I have family that knows Tavares' wife. They are literally not going anywhere, even after his deal expires, he'll take a league minimum if he has to. Their plan is to live here forever and raise their children here, there is 0 chance he goes and waives.

We are stuck with him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If I'm the Hawks I aim for a Monahan-deal type. Tavares + 1st for future considerations. Even have them retain a few millis if they're desperate enough

Not even close to the same situation. Tavares is still a good player. Monahan was coming off surgeries and people wondered if he could even play again

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He’s the captain of his hometown team. Full NMC.

Play out the final year of the deal and hit free agency in summer 2025. That’s how this one ends.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.

Toronto really is one hell of a drug...

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Buyout Cap hit: $10,393,334

He's also get like 95% of his salary (since it's almost all bonus $$$) and then go wherever he wants with a new contract - thus making more money for that year.

That's an easy bluff to call for JT.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Buyout Cap hit: $10,393,334

He's also get like 95% of his salary (since it's almost all bonus $$$) and then go wherever he wants with a new contract - thus making more money for that year.

That's an easy bluff to call for JT.
Absolutely, it makes no sense for the Leafs to buy out Tavares. The absolute worse case is that he plays the final year of his contract and the resigns for much less.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'd say the odds of him waiving to go to Chicago would be pretty slim. I mean if he would its a boost for both teams ( if Toronto spends that money well), I just find it hard to believe he is going to be willing to move off of a playoff team and away from his home city.
The odds of him waiving anywhere is slim. He chose his home I’m sure he’s staying there for the duration of his contract

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Dude Tavares is not going anywhere, I have family that knows Tavares' wife. They are literally not going anywhere, even after his deal expires, he'll take a league minimum if he has to. Their plan is to live here forever and raise their children here, there is 0 chance he goes and waives.

We are stuck with him.
I don‘t know Tavares‘ wife, but I can say with confidence he isn‘t taking league minimum to stay in Toronto.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don‘t know Tavares‘ wife, but I can say with confidence he isn‘t taking league minimum to stay in Toronto.

I think he just meant they'll do what it takes.

Realistically, it makes sense to sign JT again, of it's a team friendly deal - whatever that may be.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I don't think he's going to take league minimum.... but I can see how he might take a lot less from Toronto than elsewhere to stay.

He's a "toronto guy" through and through. His wife wants to be here. His extended family is all here. He's got 3 very young kids.

Between his Islanders contract and Leafs contract, the total is a nice round $110m.. plus whatever he made on his ELC and endorsement deals over the years. Obviously, taxes, agent fees, cost of living, escrow he's probably not sitting on a $100m nest egg, but he's made his money.

If Toronto's offer is 2 years at say, $3m per, is it really worth going somewhere else so you can make an extra $4m over those 2 years?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I don't think he's going to take league minimum.... but I can see how he might take a lot less from Toronto than elsewhere to stay.

He's a "toronto guy" through and through. His wife wants to be here. His extended family is all here. He's got 3 very young kids.

Between his Islanders contract and Leafs contract, the total is a nice round $110m.. plus whatever he made on his ELC and endorsement deals over the years. Obviously, taxes, agent fees, cost of living, escrow he's probably not sitting on a $100m nest egg, but he's made his money.

If Toronto's offer is 2 years at say, $3m per, is it really worth going somewhere else so you can make an extra $4m over those 2 years?

His play would have to fall off pretty dramatically to get offers that low. Look at what Marleau got from the Leafs, and Giroux got from the Sens. You‘re looking at 6.5 over 3 years. Maybe he works with them, but anything under 5 is a fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad