Post-Game Talk: Suddenly the schedule doesn’t look so bad

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Minny has nothing to play for...if LA gets 3 of 4 points, they finished 3rd

in any case, bring on Vegas if that occurs
I'd prefer them to eliminate Dallas and take the other team to game 7 and lose. But yes, the Oilers have to beat them if they are serious about winning.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is now a distinc possibility the Oilers will have to face Las Vegas. Their remaining games are against bottom feeders, whereas LA has a game against Minnesota.
The Kings collective goal scored against Wild in two games is 13-3. They beat them 6-0 the last game played. The wild can pull off some games against small clubs that will back down. That ain't the Kings, they have no trouble with the Wild. Only reason they would drop the game is if they were resting several players and also to avoid injury as the Wild are dirty,

Also just to note the AV's probably in give a shit mode today. They aren't passing the Jets and lose tiebreakers. The game today was pretty meaningless for them. Realistically they weren't placing anywhere but third.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger_80

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if LA or Vegas is worse honestly
I know more about LA so can speak to this a bit. Some of their problems this season stemmed from continually trying to make flat tires like Grunststrom, Kaliyev, lol Jaret Anderson Dolan and other assorted bottomsix tools try to happen. Kings finally waived JAD and have been better since. They've parked GRundstrom and Kaliyev entirely. Other young forwards like laferriere and Akil Thomas are fitting in. Arviddson back is a blessing for the Kings who also have Lizotte suddenly playing with the pace he can. This means Kings can now fill 11 forward spots with guys that can play instead of what they were doing most of the season playing 3 forward dolts in the lineup that were comically bad. Dressing 7 D also allows them to move things around more and give Doughty some occasional rest.

Kings are better than they've showed. Also PLD better than shown as he spent most of the season playing with Kings players that are not even in the lineup now. Danault looks a bit off, but probably playoffs cures that. Moore is back on form.

I think Byfield is playing some possum down stretch, possibly Fiala and Kempe too. All those guys have better games than shown in last month or two. Kings are a big forward lineup that can cause some trouble as we know.

kings are running the top 5 D. Doughty, Gavrikov, Anderson, Roy, Englund, and then rotating in two more most nights from a group of Movarare, Spence, and Brandt Clarke. The latter frankly looks like a potential star that is good skating puck up ice or making stretch passes. General consensus is not ready but man the guy can make some plays.

A top Kings performance brings more pace than a top Knights performance this season. Sure KNights parked some players outright but those guys are also old, and Turtle is real old.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's a double thickness tinfoil hat conspiracy comment (not that I personally think this is true BUT it's a possibility)...

McDavid is injured right now but not enough to be out BUT he knows this is the last kick at the playoff can for both he and Drai together because Drai has signaled he'll be moving on from Edmonton (or McDavid himself will be moving on and Drai won't be sticking around either in that case).

So McDavid wants to be as healthy and rested as possible for this playoff run because he knows this is one and done for the McDrai duo.

He's basically said f*** the Ross... f*** personal accolades... f*** risking further injury in the last meaningless games.... it's all about this last final playoff run with himself and Drai on the team together.

Now I'm not saying this is true or even if it's a possibility... but if McDrai know they won't be re-signing in Edmonton... I'm guessing they want to give this the best shot possible at reaching the SC final and that means a healed as possible and rested as possible McDavid to help accomplish that goal.

Now roast this post if you want... but again this is just some wild speculation of what McDrai may be thinking. Could even explain why Drai doesn't exactly look like he's exerting 100% out there as well and is essentially coasting after a playoff spot is locked down... saving it for the last big run at a cup in Edmonton together.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Here's a double thickness tinfoil hat conspiracy comment (not that I personally think this is true BUT it's a possibility)...

McDavid is injured right now but not enough to be out BUT he knows this is the last kick at the playoff can for both he and Drai together because Drai has signaled he'll be moving on from Edmonton (or McDavid himself will be moving on and Drai won't be sticking around either in that case).

So McDavid wants to be as healthy and rested as possible for this playoff run because he knows this is one and done for the McDrai duo.

He's basically said f*** the Ross... f*** personal accolades... f*** risking further injury in the last meaningless games.... it's all about this last final playoff run with himself and Drai on the team together.

Now I'm not saying this is true or even if it's a possibility... but if McDrai know they won't be re-signing in Edmonton... I'm guessing they want to give this the best shot possible at reaching the SC final and that means a healed as possible and rested as possible McDavid to help accomplish that goal.

Now roast this post if you want... but again this is just some wild speculation of what McDrai may be thinking. Could even explain why Drai doesn't exactly look like he's exerting 100% out there as well and is essentially coasting after a playoff spot is locked down... saving it for the last big run at a cup in Edmonton together.
McDavid is ultra motivated to win the cup no matter what. He doesn't need an extra reason.

If there is a conspiracy it could be that he is not injured but that we want to rest him. We might pretend he's injured just because fans in games (home and visitor) expect to see him and paid for it

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If you think Adam Henrique has been a problem what are you looking at? Of any of the additions Holland has made he's the best one since Ekholm. If you're saying we needed goaltending I agree. If you're saying we needed to improve D we got Stecher who can play, just play him.

I know I'm critical of Desharnais, but I know the Oilres play him to increase the physical nature of their D. But there should be no reason to do that. All of Ek, Nurse, Kulak, Ceci even Booch can be physical. Its about getting more of that physical play from them. If the Oilers team and D use their size (we're a big team:" we make life very difficult for smaller clubs like Vancouver. We again didn't do that.

Henrique actually was decent last night. Cory Perry who was disgusting was -3. I say that liking Cory Perry. He didn't show.
I'm not saying Henrique wasn't a good addition. The issue is obviously that they spent a 1st on him as a rental, especially when their immediate need is a top 6 RW and a top 4 RD.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Pretty even game, but we were out-worked by Vancouver for sure.

We need to get the team as good as it can be for playoffs now.
The PDO thing is going to be the narrative all year for them, but to me it's a cop out because they've been a hardworking team all year. Work ethic is what makes you successful. Not bounces or no bounces.

When you consistently work hard, you get more of those bounces.

Reactions: guymez

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The PDO thing is going to be the narrative all year for them, but to me it's a cop out because they've been a hardworking team all year. Work ethic is what makes you successful. Not bounces or no bounces.

100%

bounces can turn the tide and can be random. However, Hard work LEADS to bounces happening more frequently in your favour.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Well, they also get a ton of saves relative to what they give up, and they get a ton of high shooting % and goals relative to the middling talent they got. Tne Nucks as people have mentioned are a lot like the Flames of two seasons ago.

Sure the Nucks work hard and they pressure pucks relentlessly. But they cheat pressure to puck areas and leave other areas of ice totally open. Its up to opponents to exploit that and some do. Not sure why we don't do a better job exploiting their cheat pressure coverage. its age old too. Badger Bob Johnson was having teams play this way. It always seems like the Nucks are outnumbering and they have to win as many puck battles as they do. They do a good job of it, but it is far from a foolproof scheme. It will get solved in playoffs as such schemes usually do.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Knobbkauch might be the worst coach in the league for deciding on when to pull the goalie. To many times he’s pulled the goalie when we don’t have sustained possession, the bottom six is out or it’s way to early to do it.
It feels like they surrender an empty net goal every single time

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Pathetic game.

Nurse/Ceci is going to cost this team again.
Bit of a weird take. The team defense was the least of the problems in the Vancouver game.

The Oilers lost because they couldn't score.

One thing I've noticed about the Oil this year: NOBODY TAKES THE PUCK TO THE NET. (Actually, Kane and Nurse sometimes do this... they just don't do it very well.)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm not saying Henrique wasn't a good addition. The issue is obviously that they spent a 1st on him as a rental, especially when their immediate need is a top 6 RW and a top 4 RD.
Yeah. That was a lazy "Look I did something!!" trade by Holland. A pitiful final deadline and just abysmal cap management leading up to his final year of his $25M contract. There was never an overarching plan. Just pray for McJesus to deliver miracles.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bit of a weird take. The team defense was the least of the problems in the Vancouver game.

The Oilers lost because they couldn't score.

One thing I've noticed about the Oil this year: NOBODY TAKES THE PUCK TO THE NET. (Actually, Kane and Nurse sometimes do this... they just don't do it very well.)
You’re not wrong but Nurse/Ceci was still a tirefire.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You’re not wrong but Nurse/Ceci was still a tirefire.
They weren’t great but tire fire? Nurse gets crucified on the first goal but why is the team giving up a 3 on 2 with 30 seconds left? Then the goalie gets beat cleanly from like the face off dot by a depth player with 1 goal in his last 20 games.

Should Nurse have stepped up? Maybe. Even though there was a player streaking to the net right beside him. But also the team shouldn’t have given up an odd man rush that late in the period and Skinner could have been better. Complete team mistake put on the defence.

Any time you lose a game 3-1 (with an empty netter) the defence did their job. The forwards did not.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They weren’t great but tire fire? Nurse gets crucified on the first goal but why is the team giving up a 3 on 2 with 30 seconds left? Then the goalie gets beat cleanly from like the face off dot by a depth player with 1 goal in his last 20 games.

Should Nurse have stepped up? Maybe. Even though there was a player streaking to the net right beside him. But also the team shouldn’t have given up an odd man rush that late in the period and Skinner could have been better. Complete team mistake put on the defence.

Any time you lose a game 3-1 (with an empty netter) the defence did their job. The forwards did not.

I'll add coaching staff to the list of culprits there.

Playing Holloway - McLeod - Perry with under a minute left in a tie game is Woodcroft like and stupid. Especially with how McLeod could be described as nothing other than a liability for the proceeding 4 periods at least, with Perry and Holloway not too far behind him.

Just put your most reliable available players on the ice in key moments. 1st minute of period, last minute of period, after goals for and against. Not that difficult, but seems like anyone that coaches the Oilers struggles with it.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What do you mean, it's will make 5 games in 7 days right before the playoffs. The games are meaningless, get rested and take the Ls.

The Oilers don't owe the league anything

How about the fans that have paid for their tickets to those games?

How about fans who just want to sit down and watch a game after work?

It’s a preposterous suggestion if you’re actually serious. Unprecedented across sport. The ramifications would be enormous.

Maybe teams should just start forfeiting entire seasons to ensure they have the worst record if they are rebuilding?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
How about the fans that have paid for their tickets to those games?

How about fans who just want to sit down and watch a game after work?

I think the fans would be more interested in the positive long term result of managing the roster properly this week than fretting because their favourite player is on the ice in a meaningless game when they get home from work.

Edit - see you're responding to someone suggesting we simply forfeit, which is insane.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Kane should have publicly yelled at Perry on the bench after that.
He better be careful. Perry has poor eye sight, may mistake him for Stifler's mom.

It will probably be late 1st for Henrique and Carrick (do not forget him).. Not sure what the draft is like this year, but I doubt they get a player who's better than Henrique is now and that is a few years away. These players added depth and made the OIlers harder to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad