OT - NO POLITICS Subs, taxes and frozen pipes edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A bear took down my bird feeder hanger (that held 8 feeders). He actually broke it in half. I will put up another once the ground is unfrozen. I still feed birds, squirrels and chippies and have a birdbath that is heated. I buy a huge bag of peanuts and the squirrels and some birds love them

when we first moved , before I put up the fence, we had a bear come in and bend over my steel shepherd’s hook like it was a coat hanger. Couldn’t believe it. Like it was nothing.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I feed all of ‘em.

Birds, chipmunks and Squirrels.
Even have heated bird bath so they can get fresh water year round. I enjoy it.View attachment 665352
no bears with all that yummy food??

There is a rat running around in my backyard and I’m ready to go nuclear every time I see him. There is a dumpster from a restaurant on one side of the fence and a restaurant with their grease barrels on the other side of our street. Uses the yard as his go between and my wife freaks out every time she sees him.
my brother in law had a rat problem a couple years back. they chewed their way into his chicken coop and killed like 4 of his chickens.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Catching Hamilton at the opera house tonight. The lady is excited so I should be too, but just the thoughts of driving in, dealing with parking and dinner, sitting three hours in the same chair for a musical, and driving back…concern me.
Hamilton is awesome, I don't think that you will regret it.

Parking suggestion - Post Office Square garage. $9 after 4pm and its about a 10 minute walk up Franklin Street to the Opera House.

DInner Suggestion - SIP Wine Bar And Kitchen, but without a reservation you might have a problem getting a table but call them to see.

Reactions: sooshii

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton is awesome, I don't think that you will regret it.

Parking suggestion - Post Office Square garage. $9 after 4pm and its about a 10 minute walk up Franklin Street to the Opera House.

DInner Suggestion - SIP Wine Bar And Kitchen, but without a reservation you might have a problem getting a table but call them to see.
Interesting, I think both of those are what I'm going with.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Interesting, I think both of those are what I'm going with.
Happy to help. SIP might be all reservations on a theater night so call to ask. If you can't get in there and you don't need anything fancy then right down the street from the opera house there is Pho Pasteur, great Vietnamese pho (soups) and rice or noodle dishes. Or Penang is good for Malaysian/Thai type food. Both might be busy so leave enogh time to get a table and eat.

SIP will be expensive, the other two places are very reasonable.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We have a family of deer we see almost daily. The fisher cats make some creepy noises. The turkeys have been staying clear of my house, as the dog chases them around and they fly up into the trees.

Our property abuts wetlands, so we have fewer people and more living creatures, best move we ever made.

I'm up against wetlands too. The spring peepers are LOUD!!!! But I find it soothing rather than annoying. It was a little disconcerting the first time I had a glass of wine out on my deck and I had two big coyote eyes glaring in the dark at me from 20 feet away.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Happy to help. SIP might be all reservations on a theater night so call to ask. If you can't get in there and you don't need anything fancy then right down the street from the opera house there is Pho Pasteur, great Vietnamese pho (soups) and rice or noodle dishes. Or Penang is good for Malaysian/Thai type food. Both might be busy so leave enogh time to get a table and eat.

SIP will be expensive, the other two places are very reasonable.
I worked with a guy who had family that owned one of the Banh Mi joints down the road. I forget the name, but it was cheap, delicious, just no seating. It's right next to Pho Pasteur I think

Last time we went out for a theater night we had dinner at Smith & Wolensky, which was very good, but value wise it's just not for me

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I worked with a guy who had family that owned one of the Banh Mi joints down the road. I forget the name, but it was cheap, delicious, just no seating. It's right next to Pho Pasteur I think

Last time we went out for a theater night we had dinner at Smith & Wolensky, which was very good, but value wise it's just not for me
I have not eaten in any of those places for years, since pre-Covid. They were good back then so I assume that they still are but look at some online reviews.

And one more expensive suggestion. If you and your girlfriend like seafood then there is a Legal Seafod across from the Opera House. They mght be busy but they have bar seating that you might sneak into.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I have not eaten in any of those places for years, since pre-Covid. They were good back then so I assume that they still are but look at some online reviews.

And one more expensive suggestion. If you and your girlfriend like seafood then there is a Legal Seafod across from the Opera House. They mght be busy but they have bar seating that you might sneak into.
I worked adjacent to the Hyatt right there so I’ve been to most places. I wish Salvatore’s was still there but apparently it was turned into The French Quarter.

Would be nice if Sam Legrassas was open beyond 2pm also

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
when we first moved , before I put up the fence, we had a bear come in and bend over my steel shepherd’s hook like it was a coat hanger. Couldn’t believe it. Like it was nothing.
Same here. It was a tall thick pole, and he broke it in half (probably trying to climb it). It screws into the ground, so I bought a new one to put it up once the ground thaws..

In 25 years here that was the first time I had a bear problem.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Anyone else in home remodeling hell?

Trying to juggle contractors and supply chain disruptions has been rough, in addition to finding out where to relocate wife and kids when kitchen gets demolished and rebuilt. Plus, my main carpenter is going through a nasty divorce and disappears for weeks on end. Argh.
We completely redid our master bath this past fall, but we had a fantastic contractor. He's in our development, which was nice, but he was responsive and great at communication. Only had some issues with the electrician, but otherwise, supply chain troubles only really hit us with the vanities, which were also mis-ordered the first time. But all in all, it was not remodeling hell at all. Very disruptive, and we couldn't wait to be done, but it was only two months in total. Sorry you're dealing with that.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The winner of the largest prize that has been awarded in the history of the lottery in the United States made his first major purchase -- and it is a doozy.

Edwin Castro bought a $25.5 million mansion in the Hollywood Hills, according to Dirt, a real estate publication.

The 15,000-square-foot mansion is located in the foothills of Los Angeles County. Some of Castro's new neighbors include celebrities like Ariana Grande, Dakota Johnson and Jimmy Kimmel.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
There is a rat running around in my backyard and I’m ready to go nuclear every time I see him. There is a dumpster from a restaurant on one side of the fence and a restaurant with their grease barrels on the other side of our street. Uses the yard as his go between and my wife freaks out every time she sees him.

Peppermint balls. Hang them around the area in your yard. They are a natural deterrent. And it doesn't harm your yard or other animals. They're on Amazon. Get the ones used for barns.

There was a bald eagle that just died because it ate a rat (like it should) but the rat was poisoned. This is what a lot of folks don't get by using harmful chemicals and poison. It harms other very important animals to our ecosystem. Not to mention you do NOT want these chemicals to seep into your yard or soil.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We have a family of deer we see almost daily. The fisher cats make some creepy noises. The turkeys have been staying clear of my house, as the dog chases them around and they fly up into the trees.

Our property abuts wetlands, so we have fewer people and more living creatures, best move we ever made.
We have deer, turkeys' squirrels, birds, fox, hawks, woodchucks, chipmunks, rabbits and bear. Fisher cats sometimes and I saw a coyote a couple of years ago.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I’ve seen a skunk and a possum the last 2 times I’ve done laundry. Still cold so the turkeys have t been around which is fine by me.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Just me & my new boyfriend hanging out on a Wednesday night in Seaport. NBD.
907AC9A4-9AD5-43D4-95F0-EBB105D25AAB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad