Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's been BRUTAL and now deserves all the shit people have been giving him, since before he really deserved it.

I gotta think if they lose tonight (unless it's a very low scoring game) then Jack Campbell starts next game.

If not him then probably Pickard.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Always been a trash goalie.
He really hasn't always been trash though. That's the thing. People give him shit like he's terrible and has always been bad, when he really hasn't. His regular season NHL play is more than adequate.

His playoff play in over 20 playoff games now has been absolutely abysmal though.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
....But I was actually giving you the perfect lead in that Hyman DID in fact do something, he split the face of Zadorov with a vicious cross check to his face that requires stitches to close up. No one shoved him from behind, so it was a direct shot at the 6'5 defenseman's face. The league conveniently glazed over the incident of course.

May the best team win tonight.
Hyman probably could have been suspended as well on that play.

Reactions: geebster

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Skinner has been shit but he's also taking the blame for the Oilers defense being extremely pedestrian, its a twofold problem
Yeah, there's no doubt that those goalies could use some help.

Carey Price was a fantastic goalie. But his numbers took a severe beating when they rolled out an AHL caliber D in front of him in 17-18. No goalie is going to be able to make up for a horrible blueline.

That's not to say goaltending isn't an issue, but it could be partially mitigated if they had a strong D. And they... don't have that.

It's all on McDrai. Just as it was all on Price in Montreal. And it's very, very difficult for one or two players to win a cup. The Oilers are right there... but they're missing basic pieces. It's gotta be hugely frustrating for those guys. A poorly constructed team with some great players up front. They still might be able to do it but it's a tall order when your D/goalie can't stop the attack.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
As far as I understand, the majority of the Oilers’ wins this year came against teams that managed to lose to Stuart Skinner, so they probably deserve an asterisk for how they’ve feasted on abysmal competition.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Nice solid game by Pickard. Pretty much what I was expecting if the Oilers played well in front of him. Definitely better then the way Skinner has played.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would be great if Canucks didn't consistently win games while getting 30% of the opponent's xGF. If you're going to win, at least earn it.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nice solid game by Pickard. Pretty much what I was expecting if the Oilers played well in front of him. Definitely better then the way Skinner has played.
I mean... this is pretty clearly narrative bias wouldn't you say?

The Canucks started actually having scoring chances in the third period, and two goals went in. There was no "making the big save when it was needed" any more than Skinner, he just was tasked with an easier game because the Oilers didn't commit as many errors.

In both the last game and this game, the worst goals let in were by Silovs: the Draisaitl PPG last game and the GWG this game should both be saved. SV% doesn't tell that story, of course, and narratives tend to form a lot more readily around easy-to-read numbers than actual chance quality.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

The Canucks started actually having scoring chances in the third period, and two goals went in. There was no "making the big save when it was needed" any more than Skinner, he just was tasked with an easier game because the Oilers didn't commit as many errors.

In both the last game and this game, the worst goals let in were by Silovs: the Draisaitl PPG last game and the GWG this game should both be saved. SV% doesn't tell that story, of course, and narratives tend to form a lot more readily around easy-to-read numbers than actual chance quality.
both goals were crazy deflections

Skinner let in 2 goals in Game 3 where he was beat clean...Pickard wasn't beat clean

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Disagree. That nonsense between the leg GWG in game 1 was a travesty.

Team plays way too tentative when Skinner's in the net doing most of the work for Canucks. Canucks have had 1 good game and even that was just OK.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Yes what a massive scoring chance that was generated by *checks notes* Brock Bouncer throwing the puck into a bunch of skates. The Oilers don't need anyone to make a big save so that's not relevant criteria. They just need something approximating 0.900 sv%, which was hilariously difficult for skinner to achieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not Canada Drai

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes what a massive scoring chance that was generated by *checks notes* Brock Bouncer throwing the puck into a bunch of skates. The Oilers don't need anyone to make a big save so that's not relevant criteria. They just need something appeoximating 0.900 sv%, which was hilariously difficult for skinner to achieve.
It is definitely difficult to maintain a .900 SV% when you only face 16 shots and 3-4 of them are not expected saves. That's quite an ask.

You say they don't need anyone to make a big save, but the goals that you want saves on in order to maintain a .900 would have required exactly that.

Ultimately they cleaned up their defensive game tonight as expected and fewer goals went in. Goaltending didn't really factor. If they slide back into old habits next game expect I entirely expect Pickard to rock a sub-.800.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
It is definitely difficult to maintain a .900 SV% when you only face 16 shots and 3-4 of them are not expected saves. That's quite an ask.

You say they don't need anyone to make a big save, but the goals that you want saves on in order to maintain a .900 would have required exactly that.

Ultimately they cleaned up their defensive game tonight as expected and fewer goals went in. Goaltending didn't really factor. If they slide back into old habits next game expect I entirely expect Pickard to rock a sub-.800.
It's not about picking out one or two games that he may or may not have been able to maintain a .900 in.

It's about his track record of 20 playoff games in two years with a .881.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I say it every year and oilers fans roast me every year but they’re never going to win with their current level of goaltending. Ever.

Lots of goalies have won cups with D on par with the oilers’. When can we stop blaming the D and accept that they have (at best) mediocre goaltending?

Skinner would be a backup on most teams. They can’t get a save.
Who are you?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

People forget about somewhat dangerous scoring chances when they dont result in goals. Also sometimes a goalie creates a situation for an opponent to snipe a high danger scoring chance by bad positioning where if he id play more aggressively, the opponent might elect not to shoot and go for another movento get perfe t shot losing the puck or shoot it straight i to the goalie.

A good example is goals 2 and 3 on skinner in game 3. Im not saying the defense didnt bungle those plays or they should be easy saves, i just want to talk about skinners positioning. Hes playing scared and deep in the net. That gives the opponent so much empty space they can shoot at and an easy goal. If he plays aggressive andncomes outbof the crease to challenge the shot, then the opponent has a smaller angle and has to make the perfect shot. This added pressure might result in them shooting wide or straight into tbe goalie. Those dont end up looking like amazing saves, but these small nuances can actually make a big difference. If they snipenthe perfevt shot, fine, but at least the goalie made them earn the perfe t shot instead of giving them a wide target by playing too deep.

Skinner was playing scared and deep. Itngives you extra time on routine easy shots and more time if youre scared about a cross ice pass tobget in position/not be position on cross but it gives experienced nhl snipers with time too much of an easy target.

Skinner when hes confident does play more positionally sound. He hadnt been in the playoffs. Hes playing scared and causing problems for himself by doing so.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Oilers get adequate goaltending and the HF experts say they played better defensively :laugh:

Its amazing how poor goaltending can expose every mistake a team makes. And lets be honest, even elite teams make many mistakes every game.

Whats even more amazing is that posters can't, or refuse to recognize this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad