Streaming Service for the Future Very Near

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Crowdsourcing post with information about each team's stream quality: Streaming Service for the Future Very Near

As of 5 p.m. today the CHL has since cut a new deal with Verizon Media to live stream the CHL moving forward.

Not that's I really care one way or another but you'd think the CHL would make decision and sticking with it, as I see it wouldn't it make sense to change the streaming service like let's be honest internet services in Ontario is spotty at best for most people especially in surrounding areas of teams take Owen Sound for example they have support from the regional places that support Owen Sound and the internet services are spotty at best this is something no matter what the CHL plans until all regions across Canada and northern United States have reliable internet services it wouldn't matter what streaming service the CHL chooses until there's reliable internet services across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
giphy.gif

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

As of 5 p.m. today the CHL has since cut a new deal with Verizon Media to live stream the CHL moving forward.

Not that's I really care one way or another but you'd think the CHL would make decision and sticking with it, as I see it wouldn't it make sense to change the streaming service like let's be honest internet services in Ontario is spotty at best for most people especially in surrounding areas of teams take Owen Sound for example they have support from the regional places that support Owen Sound and the internet services are spotty at best this is something no matter what the CHL plans until all regions across Canada and northern United States have reliable internet services it wouldn't matter what streaming service the CHL chooses until there's reliable internet services across the board.

The CHL doesn’t have control over network quality. However, they do have control over the delivery organization and Verizon Media is exceptional compared to what they have now.

Let’s hope with the delivery issues resolved, the streaming is less spotty.

Reactions: dirty12

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The CHL doesn’t have control over network quality. However, they do have control over the delivery organization and Verizon Media is exceptional compared to what they have now.

Let’s hope with the delivery issues resolved, the streaming is less spotty.

Let's hope indeed... buffering issues in Grey-Bruce in rural areas is very spotty. Agreed quality is something that is far out of the CHL's control but if hopefully they can up there game and bring an even playing field.

The problem right now is that public television around the league is all separate entities and with separate entities you get different quality.

The big 3 television production studios YourTV, Rogers and Shaw make up the bulk of the league. Yes every city has a different local cable company but the standard of quality is also different from one city to the next. If the league could come to an agreement to set a standard of the delivery quality across the league then it would be an amazing thing.

However I don't see things changing hugely until/when all of the areas across the province have constant reliable internet service and that can delivery steady consistent speeds that right now is in the works but may take several months or years before we see the impact on the OHL side of the online streaming service.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The streaming service could be massive for the time being, especially if fans aren't allowed back into the rinks until Sept. Giving fans the option of having games, likely in better quality than Neulion, is a game-changer. That said, this should level the field to the extent that the CHL is able to... for now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let's hope indeed... buffering issues in Grey-Bruce in rural areas is very spotty. Agreed quality is something that is far out of the CHL's control but if hopefully they can up there game and bring an even playing field.

The problem right now is that public television around the league is all separate entities and with separate entities you get different quality.

The big 3 television production studios YourTV, Rogers and Shaw make up the bulk of the league. Yes every city has a different local cable company but the standard of quality is also different from one city to the next. If the league could come to an agreement to set a standard of the delivery quality across the league then it would be an amazing thing.

However I don't see things changing hugely until/when all of the areas across the province have constant reliable internet service and that can delivery steady consistent speeds that right now is in the works but may take several months or years before we see the impact on the OHL side of the online streaming service.

I'm not concerned about quality of the broadcast. I'm more concerned with quality of the backbone network capabilities.

As you mention, the physical ability to transmit the video in real time with no interruption is the biggest issue.

They finally have a solid delivery partner. If they can combine that with high speed, reliable internet at the source location, streaming in the CHL will be viable.

Edit: by quality of the broadcast, I mean proper lighting and sound. Some locations are dark and have background noise etc. Although I obviously prefer a pro broadcast, I'm not as worried about this issue as I am about the delivery issues.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016

Until every person in Ontario has decent internet, the CHL shouldn’t broadcast games online?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Anyone here anything about when we can subscribe for OHL? I was hoping to stream Friday night pre season game.

Typically the OHL doesn't stream pre-season games, that I'm aware of, just the regular season and playoffs.

Likely not enough interest in tune-up games especially when they don't count towards standings.

I usually use pre-season games as a spectator to see who has stepped up their game from training camp and it gives a last chance for maybe a prospect who maybe on the bubble for making the league as a 1st year player. As training camps are usually even playing fields for rookies it very rare that players past the first 5 rounds make the OHL it but not out of the possibility from time to time.

I suggest looking at the OHL Live stream link through the league site but I don't believe that the OHL live streams pre-season games.

Reactions: sbpointer

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Until every person in Ontario has decent internet, the CHL shouldn’t broadcast games online?
Every person in Ontario has never had access to cable and the games are almost exclusively on cable access channels. Not everything has to be an access issue. If you don't have reliable internet you likely shouldn't pay for the streaming package.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Every person in Ontario has never had access to cable and the games are almost exclusively on cable access channels. Not everything has to be an access issue. If you don't have reliable internet you likely shouldn't pay for the streaming package.

I believe the issue was more related to the ability to broadcast the games out of the event location. Each team has a local Community TV provider and the quality of the transmission they provide, I believe, has an effect downstream with streaming.

As technology continues to advance, I don’t think this will be a major issue. Whether Verison can help in that regard is a big question but I hope they can.

Reactions: HockeyPops

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Some of the pre-season games are being streamed now. Go to https://watch.chl.ca/ and sign up for an account.

Once you sign up for an account, go to your account > subscription > add subscription. It's $110 + tax for OHL only and $160 + tax for OHL, WHL and QMJHL.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Looking to crowdsource the streaming quality, by rink. If you watch a full game (or give up because of issues), please post in this thread and include the below info in your post (Recommend is YES/NO based on whether you think someone else would be pleased if they paid for that experience). I will correlate the data. Hopefully others thinking of purchasing find this useful.

RinkRecommendDateReviewerNotes
Barrie
Erie
Flint
Guelph
Hamilton
Kingston
Kitchener
London
Mississauga
Niagara
North Bay
Oshawa
Ottawa
Owen Sound
Peterborough
Saginaw
Sarnia
Soo
Sudbury
Windsor
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
someone could literally hand you a free subscription and you’d find a way to complain about it. You’re paying $1.60 ish per game to watch 68 Windsor Spitfire games. Give it up.

Depends on your perspective

trojanyeoman

Sep 10, 2021
London, ON
The steaming sounds like a good deal to me. As a STH who is uncertain of how tickets will be handled (as most of us are) I am hoping the new streaming service works as well as it seemed to for the WHL last year. For now, the info about checking the website for pricing worked (thanks!) but the app doesn’t seem to have the same info when I try it. Hopefully soon.

Did anyone in the US try CHL TV last season (WHL games)? I am curious if it worked down there as I know some snowbirds who are still hoping to get back down south at some point (I am not looking to discuss whether people think the idea of such travel is good, bad, or whatever. It is on people’s minds so I am just wondering if the service worked for American users).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad