Star players that are bad playoff performers

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's literally performing for his playoff resume right now. Yes, 11 games is a lot of playoffs hockey already. It's not a random sample during the long regular season, it's 11 games of that time of the year when the best players stand out from the crowd.

11 games is really not a great sample. Truthfully, any single playoff run, even a full cup run, isn't an ideal representation of player performance, which is why so many teams have regretted contracts awarded based on singular big playoff performances.

What you want is good performance over multiple playoff runs, preferably deep runs since the QoC typically increases with each round.

I am more interested of what's happening now than 5 years ago, but okay I don't mind combining the results. It's still a poor performance

That's fine, weighting for recency makes sense.

It just seems silly to say 'this player has two playoff appearances in his career, we will be defining him based on one and ignoring the other'

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I am genuinely curious about this one thing:

Does any star or noteworthy player in NHL history have a Game Seven track record worse than his or as bad?

Five games played: zero goals, two assists, minus five rating. All losses for his team.
Kucherov is worse in game 7

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
You’re satisfied with Matthews playoff performances year over year ? Yikes

This disingenuous argument technique is called "moving the goalposts."

He disagreed that Matthews "disappears" as you put it, and you warped his disagreement into "so you're satisfied huh?"

It's entirely possible to hope for more or better out of Matthews without agreeing he disappears. He has 48 points in 55 career playoff games.

Are Leafs fans thrilled that his production drops?

No, obviously not, but saying he "disappears" is either baiting or hyperbole. If you watched the games, you won't see a lack of effort or chances.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I am genuinely curious about this one thing:

Does any star or noteworthy player in NHL history have a Game Seven track record worse than his or as bad?

Five games played: zero goals, two assists, minus five rating. All losses for his team.

He's arguably even worse in game 6.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
To think that there won't be some dropoff for any star is ridiculous... Each performance has to be taken on a case by case basis.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think it's funny that no one but Tampa fans seemingly ever brings up Stamkos' lack of production in the playoffs. He's lucky he's gotten to play behind Tampa's top players in recent years.

He's definitely been a disappointment, but he was productive this year. A goal per game series against FLA isn't bad at all.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He's definitely been a disappointment, but he was productive this year. A goal per game series against FLA isn't bad at all.
I agree. When Stamkos produced for once, the rest of the team was useless.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Matthews has hardly been bad so he doesn't belong in this thread.

But he won't have any kind of "generational" status that occasionally gets lobbed his way until he puts up a generational playoff performance.

Since 1993, every star player on every Canadian team.

Not really.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
He's been great for years. I am not putting stock into his stats when he was on his ELC. Leafs best player when he was healthy this year, best player last year with some massive goals to win against Tampa, solid.

But production aside, claiming he is not built for the playoffs is my main issue. Mostly because people don't watch him. After the first few games before he got concussed everyone was praising how gritty he was playing including the Bruins coach who said

“I’ve been impressed by how tenacious he’s been on pucks and how relentless he’s been on the forecheck… He’s the most dangerous man on the ice because he’s earned it”​

You say this garbage and then go and downplay Draisaitl and McDavid, lmao

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
He's been great for years. I am not putting stock into his stats when he was on his ELC. Leafs best player when he was healthy this year, best player last year with some massive goals to win against Tampa, solid.

But production aside, claiming he is not built for the playoffs is my main issue. Mostly because people don't watch him. After the first few games before he got concussed everyone was praising how gritty he was playing including the Bruins coach who said

“I’ve been impressed by how tenacious he’s been on pucks and how relentless he’s been on the forecheck… He’s the most dangerous man on the ice because he’s earned it”​

Translation = he earned respect in the handshake line

He is the worst playoff performer in modern history. Completely soft with no grit. Not a winner.

At least Yashin played in a tight-checking era. Matthews just can't perform when the competition dials it up one notch.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Matthews has hardly been bad so he doesn't belong in this thread.

But he won't have any kind of "generational" status that occasionally gets lobbed his way until he puts up a generational playoff performance.

Not really.
He is horrendous relative to his season performance and cap.

His g/60 goes from 2/60 which is BY FAR the GOAT to a measly 1.1.6, good enough for 34th in the NHL. Even if you want to only allow players that have played 30+ games into that stat, he still ranks 27th which is horrendous.

His p/60 goes from 8th at 3.5/60 to 43rd at 2.4, even if we use the 30 game cutoff it's still 38th best.

Basically come playoff time he is around the 30th best forward in the NHL and it shows with his own poor stats/Toronto's poor results. Being the 30th best forward is not "bad" I guess, but relative to how good he can be it is.

Translation = he earned respect in the handshake line

He is the worst playoff performer in modern history. Completely soft with no grit. Not a winner.

At least Yashin played in a tight-checking era. Matthews just can't perform when the competition dials it up one notch.
Matthews was outscored by Sundin.

Matthews first 55 playoff games:
23 goals

Sundin first 53 playoff games:
25 goals

When you consider how mid those Leafs team were, how much offensive talent is on the current Leafs and how good Matthews is, that is really saying something. Matthews could be in the conversation as one of the greatest goal scorers and although Sundin was a good goal scorer, he's not even close to that realm and yet he's outscoring him in the playoffs in a way lower scoring era.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Aside from Nylander, the entire Leafs team the past 8 years.

Markus Naslund tanks. 52 games, 14 goals and 36 pts. And 14 pts came from 14 games in 2003. So his remaining games are 22 pts in 38 games.

Fellow playoff tanker Bertuzzi too. 87 games, 14 goals and 42 pts. I'll give him some leniency towards the end of his career where he was old on Red Wings. But even in his prime on Vanc and early years on Detroit/Ana/Calgary, he did almost nothing in playoffs.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Jim Carey.

Two awesome years to start his career. Two awful playoffs. Worse playoff stats than any Oilers goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad