Post-Game Talk: Skinner just had his Grant Fuhr moment

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I noticed that McDavid was out every other shift to close the game and none of his shifts were more than 30seconds. Derek Ryan also saw a lot of time in the final mins. It was a complete buy in defensively from the forwards and Draisaitl block shot with 5 seconds left sealed the deal.
Yeah I think once they got to the first commercial break in the third the team pretty much gave up on trying to generate any chances, the way they were playing was working and they got into a groove defending. Not the way I want them to play in most games, but sometimes that's just how a game goes and you roll with it.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
We spent nearly the entire game in our own zone and were one unlucky bounce away from going to OT. I'll give them credit for not allowing any high quality chances, but if the cost of that is generating nothing themselves, then it's not worth it. We got away with one last night, simple as that. If you view this team as a Stanley Cup contender I don't know how you can be too happy about last night's game, aside from the win; LA is the worst team we're going to face this year - I don't think we play like that and win against anyone else the rest of the way.

This is true. The Oilers can't bring last nights game every night. That is not the recipe to win the cup. That game is one that is encouraging in one sense, but would be concerning if it trended imo.

Playing a good defensive game at the complete sacrifice to the offensive game won't cut it the same way the all offense game does.

I'll take last nights win as positive. If I see the same thing Wednesday and they lose it could be concerning.

That's kind of the trick though. All this talk about playing defense etc. But if it comes as a direct sacrifice to offense you're kind of right where you started. The margins are so insanely close in this game come playoffs.

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The only negative is Wednesday night is loooong ways away. I want to finish these guys off tomorrow.
100%
This series has to end on Wednesday. The team needs the rest.

The only thing I am not sure of is if both the Canucks and Oilers win in 5 games does that mean the round 2 series starts sooner or will start date remain as if both series had gone 7 games?
I hope its the latter.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
100%

The only thing I am not sure of is if both the Canucks and Oilers win in 5 games does that mean the round 2 series starts sooner or will start date remain as if both series had gone 7 games?
I hope its the latter.
I'm pretty sure they don't like new series starting until the other series are done.

Just crossing fingers that DAL/VGK goes the distance and they both get beat to shit

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
100%

I hope its the latter.

I don't because of the injuries the Nucks have in net.

If memory serves the second round usually doesn't start until all games in the previous round are over. In the past a Game 1 has been played on the same night as a Game 7, but that's about as much overlap as you get I think.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It wasn't a weak call at all. You can't slash a guys stick so hard it breaks your own stick. You then can't panic tackle a guy. You especially can't sit on him and continue to drive him into the ice afterwards for several seconds while the puck is gone.

That's an obvious call. Maybe you ignore one of those interactions, but by the third one you kind of need to call a penalty.

He was fine in game one, although I'd still have described him as shaky. He wasn't on the peak of his game.

They didn't call the slash though. They were letting everything go all night, and holds far worse than the one they called. That holding call was totally out of place in the game considering what they were letting go. And then they just made a call up to make it even, to satisfy game management law.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good:

- Bouchard played fantastic. What a solid game.
- Skinner won us the game and stayed focused for a full 60.
- Team defensive play was on point. Great way to win
-VD !!!!!

Bad:

- Nuge was awful. Panicked with the puck all night. Got bullied
- Perry is struggling. The game was too fast for Perry.
- Mcdavid neutralized

Random:

- Did the officials even show up today?
- Did the Oilers get too much sunshine? Did the Kings do a bunch of blow before the game?
Probably get warning for this
I actually love it but I just got ANOTHER warning for calling LA and Toronto fans certain term.
Avenge my death

Exile of Atlantis

Mar 30, 2022
The fact Friedman said it's inevitable the refs will even up calls is pathetic. Like how media is normalizing this behavior from the refs is :facepalm:
The "game management" through officiating that the league has embraced is really sleazy. And it's not just the "evening up" - I knew once the Oilers scored that goal, it would take a felony assault or undeniable procedural error (too many men, puck over glass) for the Oilers to get another power play, because the refs were afraid that would bury the Kings.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
refs were brutal, I really hate this "game management" bs as they are to afraid to give oilers powerplays because they will score.

It was nice to see the oilers block a lot of the cross ice passes, which seems to be skinner's weakness going side to side and he had an unreal game. Hopefully, we finish them off in 5.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I saw the opposite.
What were the high danger chances the Oilers had at 5x5? Off the top of my head I would say Draisaitls shot and Kanes wrap around attempt. Even Draisaitls shot is a debatable HDSC.

The Oilers team D was good...the Kings team D was better in last nights game IMO.
Yet the Oilers still won which they deserve huge props for.
I think the LA operated close to the max of their capacity the last couple of games. They still fell short. You can't push like that for too long. The Oilers should take this series in 5 or 6 games.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This is true. The Oilers can't bring last nights game every night. That is not the recipe to win the cup. That game is one that is encouraging in one sense, but would be concerning if it trended imo.

Playing a good defensive game at the complete sacrifice to the offensive game won't cut it the same way the all offense game does.

I'll take last nights win as positive. If I see the same thing Wednesday and they lose it could be concerning.

That's kind of the trick though. All this talk about playing defense etc. But if it comes as a direct sacrifice to offense you're kind of right where you started. The margins are so insanely close in this game come playoffs.
The thing is that the Oilers wouldn't be playing this game if they were tied or trailing in the third.
They showed that they could beat LA at their own style of game.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
As one who certainly was piling on Skinner after Game 2, I have to say he's bought himself some slack now. Really, he's now had 2 good games, 1 bad game and 1 great game. If he can keep that kind of ratio, they have a chance. If he's found a way to limit that bad game to 1 per series, they have more than just a good chance.

I'll still say he lost them Game 2, but he won them Game 4 so it's even now, and the timeliness of some saves in Game 1 also were big factors.
I think he's a pretty average starter. The days when half the teams in the league had Brodeur or Miller or Luongo or Price or Thomas or Vokoun are long gone. There are a lot of Skinners now. And even teams that have elite goal-tenders like Winnipeg can get absolutely hammered on the scoresheet. It is all about systems, consistent effort, attention to detail, special teams, and, yes, game-breaking players who can make a goal out of nothing or make that crucial save.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

This is exactly the sort of game they needed to bring in game 2. There was no ability to tighten up and lock it down. It was there in games 1, 3 and most obviously 4. The fact that it was 1-0 shouldn't be concerning imo. It should be heavily embraced. Those are the game you hope your team plays in the playoffs, because the firewagon always burns up before the finish line.

They've shown in 3 of 4 so far the ability to go up and just cut off the opposition, barring two pretty fluky goals to end game 1.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
They didn't call the slash though. They were letting everything go all night, and holds far worse than the one they called. That holding call was totally out of place in the game considering what they were letting go. And then they just made a call up to make it even, to satisfy game management law.
Right, they didn't call the slash. And they probably wouldn't have called the tackle. And for that matter they probably wouldn't have called the hold afterwards, either.

But you can't do all three at the same time and expect not to get called. That's just a little ridiculous.

It's kind of like you probably wouldn't get a ticket if you didn't properly flag your lumber before driving home. You also likely wouldn't get a ticket if it wasn't properly secured and a 2x4 fell out. You also likely wouldn't get a ticket for driving a little recklessly and swerving in traffic. 99 times out of 100 you do those things separately, no ticket.

But if you don't have a flag at all, you swerve recklessly, and then you also lose a 2x4... You're getting a ticket. Probably 3 tickets.

Englund was just dumb enough to guarantee himself a ticket.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Right, they didn't call the slash. And they probably wouldn't have called the tackle. And for that matter they probably wouldn't have called the hold afterwards, either.

But you can't do all three at the same time and expect not to get called. That's just a little ridiculous.

It's kind of like you probably wouldn't get a ticket if you didn't properly flag your lumber before driving home. You also likely wouldn't get a ticket if it wasn't properly secured and a 2x4 fell out. You also likely wouldn't get a ticket for driving a little recklessly and swerving in traffic. 99 times out of 100 you do those things separately, no ticket.

But if you don't have a flag at all, you swerve recklessly, and then you also lose a 2x4... You're getting a ticket. Probably 3 tickets.

Englund was just dumb enough to guarantee himself a ticket.

Maybe that's true. Someone finally broke enough rules in a row that the refs finally saw their chance to get involved in the game. A total plug like Englund is also an easy target to be the guy.

Did Auston Amtthews register a shot on goal. Their whole team looked pathetic in game 4.

Hit the toilet dead center. Not sure if he managed to do anything with the puck though.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Were not talking about if he's sad, he was neutralized. The kings did a great job on Mcdavid.

If you don't agree with that then you are the biggest homer i've ever seen.
Literally every player was neutralized...McDavid had points on 100% of the goals...weird to point him out as a con...he focused on defence like everyone else.

Reactions: McDoused and AM

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Maybe that's true. Someone finally broke enough rules in a row that the refs finally saw their chance to get involved in the game. A total plug like Englund is also an easy target to be the guy.

Hit the toilet dead center. Not sure if he managed to do anything with the puck though.
Auston the Toilet Amtthews.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Oilers playing sound defensive hockey!!!! Skinner with an epic game and shutout!!!!

Skins.gif

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
refs were brutal, I really hate this "game management" bs as they are to afraid to give oilers powerplays because they will score.

It was nice to see the oilers block a lot of the cross ice passes, which seems to be skinner's weakness going side to side and he had an unreal game. Hopefully, we finish them off in 5.

That's probably what influenced the team to go defensive mode for the game. Kings basically draping themselves over players with no calls all night, save for one they punished them for. After thinking it over, glad they won like this, made them look silly for playing the way they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00