Post-Game Talk: Skinner just had his Grant Fuhr moment

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I couldn't possibly be more impressed with how we managed that game and played defensively. I don't understand the people lamenting a "bad effort" and the like. We worked our f***ing bags off and gave them nothing.

That was a full team effort, but these guys in particular stuck out IMO:

Desharnais
Draisaitl
Kane
McLeod
Nurse
Ceci

Almost all of these guys get ragged on for defensive play or effort, or both (except Desharnais, really), all of these guys were noting short of outstanding last night.

That was a game that the analytics can't really speak to IMO because we almost deliberately played that style, especially after we got the lead. We did a very good job just staying in the right position and managing the puck. We knew if we gave them nothing they would get nothing, zero reason to push the forecheck at all and risk a break the other way when we were playing that tight.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
We spent nearly the entire game in our own zone and were one unlucky bounce away from going to OT. I'll give them credit for not allowing any high quality chances, but if the cost of that is generating nothing themselves, then it's not worth it. We got away with one last night, simple as that. If you view this team as a Stanley Cup contender I don't know how you can be too happy about last night's game, aside from the win; LA is the worst team we're going to face this year - I don't think we play like that and win against anyone else the rest of the way.
I think that every team that wins a series or two in the playoffs will win a game or two where the team was not dominant.

Happens to the Oilers a lot. They outplay the competition and then get "goalied". Just happened to LA yesterday. No need to get all worried.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Off the top of my head, I had about half dozen for the Oilers (I agree it is subjective):
  • Perry cuts in from the RW to get a chance in tight (1st)
  • Draisaitl partial breakaway (1st)
  • Kane flying down the left wing getting off a dangerous shot (1st)
  • Kulak muffs a back door chance from McDavid (1st) - no shot, but high danger chance
  • Hyman has a McLeod pass go through his legs in tight (2nd) - no shot, but high danger chance
  • Draisaitl get a great slot shot chance (3rd)
You're point about it being subjective is the thing.
I agree about the Perry chance.

I think for me though I place importance on what the goalie had to deal with.
When you look at things from that persepctive Skinner had a much tougher game than super Dave did. The Kings had more HDSC that actually made it to the net.

The Kings had more puck possesion. The Kings had more O zone time. The Kings were the more physical team as well.
There wasnt much that the Oilers were better at in this game aside from the PP and the PK.
In spite of all that the Oilers still won the game.

That to me is a perfect example of bend but dont break.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
For the officials. I think they did insert themselves into the game with 2 super weak calls. Kulak's high stick was a total phantom call to make up for the weak holding call.

That was the extent of their efforts to be noticed last night.

lol at the last point. Maybe Kings pulled out the sudafed that Darryl Sutter had stashed away.

The fact Friedman said it's inevitable the refs will even up calls is pathetic. Like how media is normalizing this behavior from the refs is :facepalm:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just finished reading the Kings GDT.

Makes our loss-edition PGT's look celebratory by comparison.

B5D04753-9A2F-480F-A87C-4CB70008BD8B.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Some stoner in the ‘media’ is asking the dumbest questions. Never heard him before, must be from LA.

I don't know if it's the same guy or not, but at the end of Knoblauch's scrum yesterday some idiot was peppering him with dumb questions in a way that made the guy almost seem autistic.

"Uhhhhh why don't teams disclose injuries. Isn't that like, secretive."

Answer - "Is what it is I guess, I don't know."

"Uhhh but the goalies too. Uhh why don't teams say their starting goalies. Why is it so secretive?"

Time for a new job my friend.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Because 4 goals, ignore the flukes, 4 goals = shaky.

It's not that at all. He was shaky because he just was shaky.

We wasn't tracking pucks or plays well, his positioning wasn't sound, and his rebound control was subpar. Sometimes all of that would flake up in the same play and you could just see him moving more than required - literally being shaky.

He wasn't any of that last night. And that's great. And again - that's not a post partum eating crow, that was an observation I made in the middle of the first period when I gave him a vote of confidence last night. If he's like he was last night we're winning the cup and he'll be a large reason why.

But you're right, all the criticism is unwarranted and just reeeee Skinner bad I guess.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not that at all. He was shaky because he just was shaky.

We wasn't tracking pucks or plays well, his positioning wasn't sound, and his rebound control was subpar. Sometimes all of that would flake up in the same play and you could just see him moving more than required - literally being shaky.

He wasn't any of that last night. And that's great. And again - that's not a post partum eating crow, that was an observation I made in the middle of the first period when I gave him a vote of confidence last night. If he's like he was last night we're winning the cup and he'll be a large reason why.

But you're right, all the criticism is unwarranted and just reeeee Skinner bad I guess.
So what goals should he have had in game 1?

Reactions: McDoused

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Colby Armstrong is a tool. Why would you say that "you got dominated" right to skinners face?
Because he's an idiot.

After game 3 he did the "post game" coverage on sportsnet (which is so trash that they don't get an actual post game show, just 5 minutes during their highlight show) when he hadn't even watched the game. He was reacting to the Kane highlights like he hadn't seen them before. He kept commenting on the Winnipeg/Colorado game, while supposedly breaking down the Oilers game, because the Jets/Avs game is the one he actually watched.

God I hate sportsnet so, so.......SO much.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
For the officials. I think they did insert themselves into the game with 2 super weak calls. Kulak's high stick was a total phantom call to make up for the weak holding call.

That was the extent of their efforts to be noticed last night.

lol at the last point. Maybe Kings pulled out the sudafed that Darryl Sutter had stashed away.

It wasn't a weak call at all. You can't slash a guys stick so hard it breaks your own stick. You then can't panic tackle a guy. You especially can't sit on him and continue to drive him into the ice afterwards for several seconds while the puck is gone.

That's an obvious call. Maybe you ignore one of those interactions, but by the third one you kind of need to call a penalty.

So what goals should he have had in game 1?

He was fine in game one, although I'd still have described him as shaky. He wasn't on the peak of his game.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It seems LA fans are rather content with the series only going 5 which is what I hope happens of course. They want their management gone. Can't blame them given recent moves. They had an absolutely stacked prospect pool with a very bright future. Other than Clarke and maybe Fagemo, that great pool is pretty much gone, at least as far as skaters are concerned. Portillo could be a key but goalies being goalies lets see how that plays out. The Reign is a solid AHL team but it is also more of a veteran team. Lots of strong career Ahl'ers.

I really like Kempe and Byfield. Kopitar and Doughty both had strong years but Kopitar is aging fast with two more years at $7M. Doughty is no longer capable of handling a team like the Oilers and he has 3 more years at $11M. Danault was a huge reason why the 2022 series went to 7 but he also looks to have regressed. It's not obvious which direction this team will take. A new GM may make sweeping changes. If they don't it may be several years of mediocrity until the older guys finally leave.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He was fine in game one, although I'd still have described him as shaky. He wasn't on the peak of his game.
Okay...that sounds reasonable to me.
I would say that he was good in game one and excellent in games 3 and 4.

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Always found it weird how this found its way into the criticism after game 2. Nurse literally put one in the net and Ceci gift wrapped another.
Yep, Skinner made two major saves in game 1 that helped the team win, but 2 utter flukes are some how his fault. Game 2, on him, no question, but he responded by allowing 1 goal in 2 games IN LA. Massive bounce back.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep, Skinner made to major saves in game 1 that helped the team win, but 2 utter flukes are some how his fault. Game 2, on him, no question, but he responded by allowing 1 goal in 2 games IN LA. Massive bounce back.
I think there is an actual belief in Skinner even after the game 2 disaster. The Oilers could've very easily gone the other way and I'm glad they didn't. Time will tell if this is what he's really like or not, but for the time being he's shut up a few people and has us on the verge of round 2.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I noticed that McDavid was out every other shift to close the game and none of his shifts were more than 30seconds. Derek Ryan also saw a lot of time in the final mins. It was a complete buy in defensively from the forwards and Draisaitl block shot with 5 seconds left sealed the deal.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
We spent nearly the entire game in our own zone and were one unlucky bounce away from going to OT. I'll give them credit for not allowing any high quality chances, but if the cost of that is generating nothing themselves, then it's not worth it. We got away with one last night, simple as that. If you view this team as a Stanley Cup contender I don't know how you can be too happy about last night's game, aside from the win; LA is the worst team we're going to face this year - I don't think we play like that and win against anyone else the rest of the way.
True but LA can give fits to any team, just ask Vancouver. But more so in the playoffs. Their specialty is interfering and getting away with it, which is exactly how you win in the playoffs. See Vegas. Oil played into their hands last night, but found a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad