Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Brian Lawton on first up this morning with some good insight into the Leafs and their hunt for a new coach. Gives his reasons why the Leafs have not been successful.
care to share? TIA
The only reason that any coach does not want to right come now is the roster situation, who will be here at the open night? MM? JT? MR?......

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Brian Lawton on first up this morning with some good insight into the Leafs and their hunt for a new coach. Gives his reasons why the Leafs have not been successful.

After listening I didn't find him particularly insightful. In fact, he made some overarching and erroneous statements (ie. history of Leafs' defence).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
After listening I didn't find him particularly insightful. In fact, he made some overarching and erroneous statements (ie. history of Leafs' defence).
I valued his opinion. As for Leafs' defence? What did he say that was wrong.? Our best dman since 1967 is Salming who was not even drafted. We've sucked at drafting and developing dmen and goalies.

This organization let the Bruins scoop up Orr from under their noses after their GM was told to go check the kid out in Perry Sound and he made the mistake not to.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I valued his opinion. As for Leafs' defence? What did he say that was wrong.? Our best dman since 1967 is Salming who was not even drafted. We've sucked at drafting and developing dmen and goalies.

This organization let the Bruins scoop up Orr from under their noses after their GM was told to go check the kid out in Perry Sound and he made the mistake not to.
I completely agreed with the fact if you are going to pay 4 guys half the cap, you’d better have a serious pipeline of higher end prospects on good contracts. Nope, not us.

The problem here (well 1 if many) is this management has no back up plan or answer to a plan if it didn’t work.
We paid guys who won nothing like 2 x Cup champs, traded depth and picks like we were trying to keep a dynasty going, and even failed to consider making changes when COVID created a flat cap. All while ignoring goaltending on top of that.

You knew anybody decent in the last year of their contract was gone.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I hope we go off the board and grab Sergei Fedorov he won back to back coach of the year his first 2 seasons as head coach... this season was his first loss for coach of the year.
Playing all those years in the NHL, I'm sure his English is good enough, and he has championship pedigree
he is also NOT under contract right now
Not to disrespect KHL or Sergei, is Sergei one of Putin's buddies? Besides, coaching in the KHL is completely different than coaching in the NHL, just ask Mike Keenan.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You start to wonder if Q story has more to it then we know. Shocked he’s not eligible again yet.

Bertuzzi crippled a guy, missed 20 nhl games.

McSorley got a year and change for baseball batting brasher. Etc. etc.

He’s done his time by nhl standards no?
Bettman will reinstate Q within a week of the Leafs announcing their new head coach.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Look up the Kyle Beach situation.
Or you can explain because there's a lot of stuff lol ..

Apparently he told management and for them to look in to it

Then there was talks that he gave him a written recommendation which his daughters have said is fake and never happened

So what else happened that bans him for life?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wish this joker coach could be erased from memory. Imagine if we had Hunter or Lou etc. Criminal mismanagement

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

100% true .. our Leafs are known throughout hockey world as da worst drafters and developers of D men in pro hockey anywhere past 50+ years .. very well known through O and A .. Salming was a massive fluke and only because our Leafs have more money than any other team as we tripled others scouting staffs including 1st pro team to scout Sweden full time .. now we have a team of 3 guys who scout Russia for us .. you would think with numbers of scouts we would draft D much better .. but we don't .. why?????????????????????????

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Im with you, have zero interest in bringing bertuzzi back. Warren Foegele could net us 20 for much much less.
The thing I will always remember about Bertuzzi. Mathews is at 60 something goals, Bertuzzi is offside when Mathews scores, goal doesn’t count. As we know Mathews ends up at 69. :(

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I completely agreed with the fact if you are going to pay 4 guys half the cap, you’d better have a serious pipeline of higher end prospects on good contracts. Nope, not us.

The problem here (well 1 if many) is this management has no back up plan or answer to a plan if it didn’t work.
We paid guys who won nothing like 2 x Cup champs, traded depth and picks like we were trying to keep a dynasty going, and even failed to consider making changes when COVID created a flat cap. All while ignoring goaltending on top of that.

You knew anybody decent in the last year of their contract was gone.

In short Dubas is POS. So is Shanny. Such gross mismanagement, imo. NOW Shanahan sees there is a pattern here. GTFO.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Not to disrespect KHL or Sergei, is Sergei one of Putin's buddies? Besides, coaching in the KHL is completely different than coaching in the NHL, just ask Mike Keenan.
He played here under Bowman for quite a while, I'm pretty sure he picked up a few things.
...couldnt care less if he's buddies with Putin, however, I'd dare anyone over there to say they werent. lol
Keenan won coach of the year there also...so, not sure what you are getting at. Keenan is only good in small doses no matter where he is.

The thing I will always remember about Bertuzzi. Mathews is at 60 something goals, Bertuzzi is offside when Mathews scores, goal doesn’t count. As we know Mathews ends up at 69. :(
I remember him shooting it into the open net when Matthews was close also, rather than letting Matthews get a shot at it. This is ALSO on Keefe too
Then I remember him taking a bunch of selfish penalties that put us into our 3-1 down deficit, as well as not being able to handle the puck, or take a pass or make a pass. he was useless and i hope he isnt back.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
100% true .. our Leafs are known throughout hockey world as da worst drafters and developers of D men in pro hockey anywhere past 50+ years .. very well known through O and A .. Salming was a massive fluke and only because our Leafs have more money than any other team as we tripled others scouting staffs including 1st pro team to scout Sweden full time .. now we have a team of 3 guys who scout Russia for us .. you would think with numbers of scouts we would draft D much better .. but we don't .. why?????????????????????????
You know more than I but wasn’t there a time when everybody used something called central scouting and we chose not to be part of it. Since we had so much cash we just went our own way. Then there was the time during the Stellick years when we had no scouting and we just drafted Belleville Bulls 3 times in a row. lol!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I mean he went on about how he knew for years that the Leafs would lose in the playoffs because of their defensemen

but goal scoring has been a much bigger issue than that so I don't have much time for it

anyways surprised today is so quiet on the coaching front, thought things would move quicker tbh

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Or you can explain because there's a lot of stuff lol ..

Apparently he told management and for them to look in to it

Then there was talks that he gave him a written recommendation which his daughters have said is fake and never happened

So what else happened that bans him for life?
We all have to be very careful with what gets said now with cameras everywhere .. there are hundreds of guys in hockey today including our Leaf brass who would be wiped out of hockey like Q if there were cameras around in our day and age .. a completely different life our kids are leading compared to us .. our worst fear was AIDS

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You know more than I but wasn’t there a time when everybody used something called central scouting and we chose not to be part of it. Since we had so much cash we just went our own way. Then there was the time during the Stellick years when we had no scouting and we just drafted Belleville Bulls 3 times in a row. lol!
100% true again .. a guy who helped me out a lot Frank Bonello was our Marlboros GM and then went to Leafs as GM and then NHL hired him to run central scouting because Leafs had most scouts on their payroll and he had best knowledge of scouting NHL could secure .. Bonello took most of his staff to NHL as Ballard thought he could offload those costs off his books and still get da inside skinny from Frank .. i don't want to get too deep into this topic but suffice to say another scar on Ballard .. of course frank did da right thing .. a real gentleman .. Stellick had only da Euro scouts left and a couple lifers from da O who did not even take notes .. it was their word or nothing .. omg i can still remember those 2 .. complete dinosaurs

• Haha
Reactions: Confucius

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I see Berube is taking a page out of the Marner playbook.

Pimping himself for more money. Can't say I blame him. Everyone else on the team made sure to get theirs.

Keefe is still getting paid for another two years.

Berube seems like a reputation hire. If we're being perfectly honest that's all I know of him. It's not like I watch a lot of Blues games.

I have to rely on what I've read and the few stone cold facts I do know.

Namely Berube is a hard nosed coach who rode a hot goaltender to the Stanley Cup one year. For that he gets rewarded with the highest profile coaching gig on the worlds largest hockey stage. And money.

Lots and lots of money.
You think Winnipeg is the place to go to hege against the Leafs and demand more money?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Earlier today I looked at Berube's odds and he was a slight favorite but close to a pick em.

Current odds...

Screenshot (1428).png

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He has interviewed already. There is no prohibitions on him. Besides, the idea that the Leafs would simply hire (they still might) Berube without conducting a thorough search was fan and media driven. Berube himself, was interviewing before the Leaf job became officially available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad