Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
You ever take a long haul flight where every minute sucks, but once you land at your destination you immediately forget how terrible your past day was?

That's how I feel about the Sharks re: Celebrini and Smith. If they come, great, if they don't, it's just another long haul flight to get through, and come this time next year we'll be pumped because we have another top pick (hopefully a few) and forget how bad the season was.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You ever take a long haul flight where every minute sucks, but once you land at your destination you immediately forget how terrible your past day was?

That's how I feel about the Sharks re: Celebrini and Smith. If they come, great, if they don't, it's just another long haul flight to get through, and come this time next year we'll be pumped because we have another top pick (hopefully a few) and forget how bad the season was.

yeah but it’s suuuuuch a loooong fliiiiiight

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
yeah but it’s suuuuuch a loooong fliiiiiight
As any seasoned long hauler will tell you, it gets easier and you find ways to occupy the time :laugh:

The "pressure" on where they finish in the standings next year is off, from a fans perspective all the way up to Hasso (likely). Now that they have Celebrini, they can focus purely on development and reviving the business end with ticket revenue and better marketing.

Plus, if Smith and Celebrini dont join the team, they'll be battling it out for best in Boston. Think of that, two future Sharks, leaders of their teams, in the national spotlight all season long in a league that's growing in popularity and coverage, trying to win a championship. That will be awesome to watch and will absolutely be a positive for their development.

Either way we are back watching a team actively trying to get better again. Next season is already better than last!

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

So let’s say for shits and giggles that both go back to college and we won the lottery again. Do we draft Hagens and move Smith to wing? Smith as a 3C would be nuts

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
As any seasoned long hauler will tell you, it gets easier and you find ways to occupy the time :laugh:

The "pressure" on where they finish in the standings next year is off, from a fans perspective all the way up to Hasso (likely). Now that they have Celebrini, they can focus purely on development and reviving the business end with ticket revenue and better marketing.

Plus, if Smith and Celebrini dont join the team, they'll be battling it out for best in Boston. Think of that, two future Sharks, leaders of their teams, in the national spotlight all season long in a league that's growing in popularity and coverage, trying to win a championship. That will be awesome to watch and will absolutely be a positive for their development.

Either way we are back watching a team actively trying to get better again. Next season is already better than last!

you make a compelling case. There is definitely a weight off our shoulders with Celebrini — to be able to finally cheer for this team in any form will be exciting. I don’t need to keep replaying tankathon anxiously to see what may happen…

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
So let’s say for shits and giggles that both go back to college and we won the lottery again. Do we draft Hagens and move Smith to wing? Smith as a 3C would be nuts

If Hagens is by far the best player available (and there isn’t a guaranteed #1 defenseman) then absolutely, we take Hagens and let the chips fall where they may. At worst, Smith moves to wing or you trade him for a haul, but having Celebrini - Hagens - Smith would be absolutely insane.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
If Hagens is by far the best player available (and there isn’t a guaranteed #1 defenseman) then absolutely, we take Hagens and let the chips fall where they may. At worst, Smith moves to wing or you trade him for a haul, but having Celebrini - Hagens - Smith would be absolutely insane.
Yes, you never, ever draft for need at #1.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes also draft the best player even if it leaves the team with 9 centers.

Having Hagens, Celebrini, Smith is a good 1-2-3 punch, or even a good start to a first and second line if you moved someone to wing.

I would be happy to get back to a point where the top 6 was headed by the likes of Couture, pavelski, Marleau, Thornton. 4 natural centers, even if 2 of them were just as good or even better at wing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yes, you never, ever draft for need at #1.

You never draft for need period unless you have two players on your board who are equally ranked and positional need is necessary as the tiebreaker. It's part of the reason I don't want them looking at Jiricek if there are better forwards available at 14 in this draft. Draft the better players and worry about your positional distribution later.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Watching what could be the final games of the two remaining CHL championships. London (Halttunen) can close out Oshawa (and as I watch now they're up 1-0) while Portland (Cagnoni) has to fight to stay alive tonight as they're down 0-3 to Moose Jaw.

I wonder when the last time was that all 3 CHL champ series ended as sweeps...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Halttunen extends London's lead to 3-0 just over halfway through the first period. His 8th PP goal of the playoffs (1 back of the league record in that regard) and I think his 16th overall (which I thought they said was the league record but it's actually the record for import players) It was exactly the goal you'd think: he came off the boards at the top of the faceoff circle and wired home a wrister that the goalie never saw.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Halttunen is such a weird prospect , yes he is destroying the league goal scoring wise (especially in the playoffs). But then you watch the highlights of most of his goals and i am personally left saying for most of them thats a weak goal.

Yes i know he has a very strong shot, but so did Bedard in his draft year when i started paying attention to him, and never once was left thinking that was a weak goal, Bedard was mostly left with a how is that possible lol.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
7-1 London now with under 4 minutes. Pretty much a foregone conclusion the Knights are going to sweep this championship series, which means a title for Halttunen.

It also means we'll get some bonus Halttunen hockey in the next few weeks since London will head to the Memorial Cup.

EDIT: yep, London completes the sweep. The first OHL championship sweep since the last time London won the title in 2016.

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Halttunen has so many tools, like he has the potential to be something really good, but I think it’s going to take a lot of work from our development guys. It’ll be really interesting how much they can get out of him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ok, switching over to Portland/Moose Jaw. Cagnoni and the Winterhawks have their work cut out for them. It's scoreless 5 minutes into the game but IIRC Portland's only led for something like maybe a period's worth of time across all 3 games so far.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad