"Saving Sakic" series to be released on Amazon Prime

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Rangers and/or Canucks could have had both Messier and Sakic. Had someone signed Sakic on 7/1/997, then they would have gotten. At that point, Air Force One had not come out yet, and the Avalanche wouldn't have mad the money to match.
That's under the assumption that they would have had no way other of coming up with the money. A short term bridge loan doesn't make for much of a documentary.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
The Rangers and/or Canucks could have had both Messier and Sakic. Had someone signed Sakic on 7/1/997, then they would have gotten. At that point, Air Force One had not come out yet, and the Avalanche wouldn't have mad the money to match.
Idk how you come up with this Messier would never play 3rd line mins and Sakic would never sign to play on line 3. Do you play Gretzky on line 3?The fact is Messier did himself no favors post 94 and especially in the final months of 97 and the playoffs. The Rangers had grown tired of his act and wanted him back at a reduced salary and in a somewhat reduced role ,(no more pk time and less ice time overall). He wasn't elite anymore in everyone's eyes but his and Vancouver's owner John McCaw. Sakic was indeed a back up plan as the Rangers still thought he'd but in to a reduced role and evrey other team but Vancouver knew his worth, McCaw in Vancouver grossly over valued him

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Week long break to the Cup Finals made me watch this.

Never knew the Avs were in such financial turmoil in the 90s. Even after winning a Cup, guess it was bad for a lot of teams in this era. Oilers almost lost their team too like Quebec before it.

Anyways, that offer sheet could have changed so much NHL history had it gone through. Interesting to think what could have been in both Denver and NY. But ultimately they made a documentary about an offer sheet lol. Guess they pulled it off, but man there’s got to be bigger stories in the NHL than this.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Week long break to the Cup Finals made me watch this.

Never knew the Avs were in such financial turmoil in the 90s. Even after winning a Cup, guess it was bad for a lot of teams in this era. Oilers almost lost their team too like Quebec before it.

Anyways, that offer sheet could have changed so much NHL history had it gone through. Interesting to think what could have been in both Denver and NY. But ultimately they made a documentary about an offer sheet lol. Guess they pulled it off, but man there’s got to be bigger stories in the NHL than this.

Yeah it is weird to think that an ownership group that could relocate a franchise would be in such precarious financial straits...

But having not watched the series, I find myself thinking "who cares?" about the whole premise. I was a younger fan in that era, remember the offer sheet a little bit but just can't get hyped up that there was anything particularly at risk: Quebec City had recently lost Joe Sakic and the entire Nordiques franchise. That was devastating. The new Denver market was just treated to a Stanley Cup win with a young star studded core. Great. And they could have lost Sakic, but didn't? Okay, fine.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it is weird to think that an ownership group that could relocate a franchise would be in such precarious financial straits...

But having not watched the series, I find myself thinking "who cares?" about the whole premise. I was a younger fan in that era, remember the offer sheet a little bit but just can't get hyped up that there was anything particularly at risk: Quebec City had recently lost Joe Sakic and the entire Nordiques franchise. That was devastating. The new Denver market was just treated to a Stanley Cup win with a young star studded core. Great. And they could have lost Sakic, but didn't? Okay, fine.
Yeh for sure, and they couldn’t come up with 15M in 7 days. If not for the success of a movie the Avs parent company produced, I guess that extra Hollywood aspect of the story adds extra oomph to this story. But overall the premise was about an offer sheet that never went through lol. Probably why after seeing 100s of commercials for it was like Meh. If I was Avs fans though, I’d enjoy it more.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ

So it was a big deal for both if you ask me. Many Ranger fans were sour for them dumping Messier bit he was a declining asset and management was right to let him walk. The hope was that by signing Sakic it would take away the sting and keep the team competitive.

In Colorado it would have changed alot of things Forsberg was great but would now be the undisputed 1st line center and be drawing top matchups that he probably wouldn't have seen with Sakic around. Also Pierre Lacroix was very high on Vinny Lecavalier not having Sakic there would have probably pushed him even harder to go after him. Which means they potentially give away Milan Hedjuk,Chris Drury and the pick that became Alex Tanguay to get Lecavalier. Whether it happens or not I don't see the Avs winning another cup without Sakic. Which means either the Devils or Red Wings reap the benefits in 99 and 01 at least.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So it was a big deal for both if you ask me. Many Ranger fans were sour for them dumping Messier bit he was a declining asset and management was right to let him walk. The hope was that by signing Sakic it would take away the sting and keep the team competitive.

In Colorado it would have changed alot of things Forsberg was great but would now be the undisputed 1st line center and be drawing top matchups that he probably wouldn't have seen with Sakic around. Also Pierre Lacroix was very high on Vinny Lecavalier not having Sakic there would have probably pushed him even harder to go after him. Which means they potentially give away Milan Hedjuk,Chris Drury and the pick that became Alex Tanguay to get Lecavalier. Whether it happens or not I don't see the Avs winning another cup without Sakic. Which means either the Devils or Red Wings reap the benefits in 99 and 01 at least.

Yeah I get all that.

My point is the Quebec Nordiques relocation that happened 2 years before, (and also the Whalers, Jets relocations in 1997), there was plenty of heartache and loss in hockey at the time. Another city had literally lost Joe Sakic.

So a random new market that got treated to a championship run and star studded roster from day one with a horse shoe stuck up its butt… I just don’t really feel like that much was at stake for them emotionally even if they lost Joe Sakic.

I dunno, the topic just doesn’t feel that resonant to me. Especially since nothing happened in the end. Same thing with the Fedorov offer sheet.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
That kid who couldn't speak English down the street in Burnaby in kindy (we the same age on the same street back in the mid-70s). Now he has a biopic and i teach kindy. That smile persists!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad