Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I'm sticking to it. Call Wassilyn' bluff. The agent can F off. What are we doing here. Niagara? Really? I am not saying we are anything special, but Niagara?

You really gonna tell me Braidy & his family will look at our NHL ownership, stability, WJC head coach & say no chance I want to go to Niagara who's not been the biggest joke in the OHL the last 5 years. The biggest joke in the CHL (sorry Niagara fans)

If he legitimately stands by it for whatever reason then Niagara can give us two 2nds & two or three 3rds for him & we get the #5 pick next year.
I agree. Why would he give up a chance for either Sarnia or Peterborough who have actually had success in recent years unlike Niagara who routinely are at the bottom of the league and have missed the playoffs three years straight. In Peterborough he would be able to play for one of the best coaches in the OHL. Many players want to be traded to the Petes because he is the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Draft results page has given Sarnia their 6th back. So something was amiss there. Gives us 7 picks in the top 106!

Depth isn't supposed to be a strength in this class, but still excited to see what Seca & Co can come away with.

Perfect world I'd hope we come away with a power forward & a promising goalie in RD3 then with our two 4ths take a bigger, rough, gritty Dman & another skill F. Like I said tho, in a perfect world, haha.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Malhotra commits to the BCHL. What the hell is going on. This gotta be the dumbest OHL draft in history.

Of the consensus top 10 at least 4 (Fitzgerald, Valentini, Malhotra, Nyman) have signed or are rumored to sign elsewhere. Wassilyn playing games to go 4th. Another potential top 10 pick Beckham Edwards has been signed for a bit in the USHL.

Potentially 6 of the top 10. This is not a good development for the league cause you know next year's draft class is watching.

I just hope these kids are legitimate in their want to play in the USHL or BCHL.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Rounds 1-3 of the OHL Draft tonight begins at 7pm et.
@SpitsHockey
announced yesterday they’re selecting Oakville forward Ethan Belchetz 1st overall. Expect
@StingHockey
to take Vaughan Kings forward Alessandro Di lorio 2nd overall.
That was a tweet from Darren Dreger.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
@SpitsHockey
announced yesterday they’re selecting Oakville forward Ethan Belchetz 1st overall. Expect
@StingHockey

Way to ruin the surprise, Darren. Smh. Few weeks ago was he who anyone would've expected at 2?

Nope. But I'm happy with it. From my (limited) viewings I frankly didn't see this giant gap between the top 3 & him. When all on the same team he was their best player & it wasn't close.

Big. Skates well. Great shot. Great hands. Competes hard. Good 2Way. Not much there to not like. Has all the tools to become a dominant OHL player who makes an impact in every area.

Very much looking forward to seeing him at rookie camp then main camp! See what we do in round 3 with back to back high picks!

Here were some scouting reports on him

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412-132626.png
    Screenshot_20240412-132626.png
    283 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240411-133533.png
    Screenshot_20240411-133533.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240411-132158.png
    Screenshot_20240411-132158.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 4

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
@SpitsHockey
@StingHockey

Has it been announced by Sarnia that they are taking Di Iorio or is it media speculation?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Way to ruin the surprise, Darren. Smh. Few weeks ago was he who anyone would've expected at 2?

Nope. But I'm happy with it. From my (limited) viewings I frankly didn't see this giant gap between the top 3 & him. When all on the same team he was their best player & it wasn't close.

Big. Skates well. Great shot. Great hands. Competes hard. Good 2Way. Not much there to not like. Has all the tools to become a dominant OHL player who makes an impact in every area.

Very much looking forward to seeing him at rookie camp then main camp! See what we do in round 3 with back to back high picks!
Why is the OHL draft like this??

Has it been announced by Sarnia that they are taking Di Iorio or is it media speculation?
Nothing official from Sarnia ... I just saw this from Dreger and thought id post.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Why is the OHL draft like this??]
It's the world in general now isn't it? I'm totally fine with a player & his family saying no to a place that has a bad track record, has horror stories or is a legitimate bad place to live. I can sympathize with them even saying no to Erie/SAG/Flint. Just cause at 15 would u of wanted to leave everything behind and move countries.

But I don't have any respect for the players that refuse to go to legitimate places with good structure, culture, coaches etc so they can hand pick their spot. That is a spoiled, entitled attitude & I hate it.

This is easily the worst I've ever seen and from ppl who've been around longer this might be the worst ever. Makes u wonder to a degree what the USHL is offering these kids that are from Ontario, that say they wanna play here.

As I've said. I just hope they are real in wanting to go that route & in a month Valentini, Fitzgerald, Malhotra, Nyman aren't at rookie camp.

Reactions: Section5Petes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The Neutral Zone had Di Iorio as the #2 prospect available. They are one of if not the best scouting service for the OHL draft.

They said "he's really smooth, long fluid stride, handles the puck with ease, huge, huge upside with this kid. We went back & forth on him & Belchetz at 1. His size & athleticism is high-end"

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
It's the world in general now isn't it? I'm totally fine with a player & his family saying no to a place that has a bad track record, has horror stories or is a legitimate bad place to live. I can sympathize with them even saying no to Erie/SAG/Flint. Just cause at 15 would u of wanted to leave everything behind and move countries.

But I don't have any respect for the players that refuse to go to legitimate places with good structure, culture, coaches etc so they can hand pick their spot. That is a spoiled, entitled attitude & I hate it.

This is easily the worst I've ever seen and from ppl who've been around longer this might be the worst ever. Makes u wonder to a degree what the USHL is offering these kids that are from Ontario, that say they wanna play here.

As I've said. I just hope they are real in wanting to go that route & in a month Valentini, Fitzgerald, Malhotra, Nyman aren't at rookie camp.
haha no I meant why do they announce picks before. I like the surprise. Also, make other teams behind you sweat.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Me too. Happy Missy took him lol. They have a pitch. Hometown team. Join a stacked team.[
Ya valentini is for sure going to sign with the steelheads, they are going to be so stacked this year and he gets to play at home, Peterborough will also see their hometown kid play there at some point, the kids got what they wanted.

Reactions: Section5Petes

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Ya valentini is for sure going to sign with the steelheads, they are going to be so stacked this year and he gets to play at home, Peterborough will also see their hometown kid play there at some point, the kids got what they wanted.
Yah he gets to go play in the worst environment in JR hockey. Have fun. We will see how good missy is when he reaches his prime. Puck don't lie lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad