RW Kasper Halttunen - London Knights , OHL (2023, 36th, SJS)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

OK game for Halttunen with nice solo goal.
But still lots to prove into this tournament.
Time will tell where Halttunen gets to drafted.

Halttunen also had few good scoring chances in 1st period
but Switzerland's goalie played well and took some big saves when it was needed
but still positive performance for Halttunen this was a OK start now it's time to become better every game.

Reactions: illone84

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Yep, seemed a bit nervous in the beginning and tried to kind of "force" the plays (shooting from impossible angles, trying to go through the Swiss D all by himself while there was great passing opportunities)..
But he got better as the game went on, and in the end of the day won the game with incredible solo goal.
Let's see what happens today against Latvia!

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Not very impressed by Halttunen even though he has scored some goals. Reminds me of Kristian Vesalainen.

Came here to post the same thing as i get the Vesalainen vibes too. Hopefully Halttunen turns out better but if he ends up a key player for HIFK like Vesalainen then i guess i wouldn't complain about that.

I do think London would be a good spot for him since he seems like a player who needs a big role to succeed. Propably won't get that on HIFK since they will (should) be stacked.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At least he's found a way to score some goals and say that he hasnt completely forgotten how to hockey since last year.

Him and Stramel remain the two biggest droppers from pre-season rankings to final rankings, imo.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Came here to post the same thing as i get the Vesalainen vibes too. Hopefully Halttunen turns out better but if he ends up a key player for HIFK like Vesalainen then i guess i wouldn't complain about that.

I do think London would be a good spot for him since he seems like a player who needs a big role to succeed. Propably won't get that on HIFK since they will (should) be stacked.
If all those rumors what's been posted to Jatkoaika.com HIFK board
are all true HIFK probably do not have room or spot for Halttunen next year.

Leo Komarov, Joonas Rask and Ville Leskinen are all ''rumored'' to HIFK.
That would basically mean Halttunen's possible role would be 4th line forward or rotation player.
In my opinion that sounds idiotic Halttunen is scoring oriented player and he needs TOP6 role.

If HIFK cannot give that then it probably requires to loan in Mestis
or some else liiga team like Jukurit, Saipa etc OHL should be into table too
but only if HIFK decides terminate Halttunen's contract or Halttunen's
NHL team wants him to North America immediately

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki

That would basically mean Halttunen's possible role would be 4th line forward or rotation player.
In my opinion that sounds idiotic Halttunen is scoring oriented player and he needs TOP6 role.

Yeah we already have a lot of wingers so if even one of those rumours is true i'ts getting crowded. Also is that Lehterä rumor still alive? I don't read Jatkoaika.

I don't think a cotract termination is required for him to move to another Liiga team or OHL. A simple loan would do. Then he could return to HIFK for 24/25 or if he's ready maybe even AHL then. I really think London would be a good spot for a year. One of the best programs in Canada.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Yeah we already have a lot of wingers so if even one of those rumours is true i'ts getting crowded. Also is that Lehterä rumor still alive? I don't read Jatkoaika.

I don't think a cotract termination is required for him to move to another Liiga team or OHL. A simple loan would do. Then he could return to HIFK for 24/25 or if he's ready maybe even AHL then. I really think London would be a good spot for a year. One of the best programs in Canada.
Why Halttunen should go to OHL?
If HIFK hasn't any interest to develop and play Halttunen then why he's signed at all?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not sure what to really think of him. He has some raw talent, but his hockey IQ doesn’t impress me generally. Although in this tournament he has looked quite ok with it. But man he has a great shot! His wrister goal in today’s game was measured as 147 kmph, which is approximately 91 mph. Now that is a crazy hard wrister! Especially for an under 18 year old!

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure what to really think of him. He has some raw talent, but his hockey IQ doesn’t impress me generally. Although in this tournament he has looked quite ok with it. But man he has a great shot! His wrister goal in today’s game was measured as 147 kmph, which is approximately 91 mph. Now that is a crazy hard wrister! Especially for an under 18 year old!

He's essentially Colby Barlow if Colby had a lobotomy.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki

Why Halttunen should go to OHL?
If HIFK hasn't any interest to develop and play Halttunen then why he's signed at all?

Because HIFK's main goal should be winning the championship not to develop and play Kasper Halttunen. You said it yourself there's propably only a rotation role for him.

His offensive talent is obviously undeniable but overall game needs work to be a true impact player on a Liiga contender. That's why like you yourself say in the post above a year in Mestis, OHL or a smaller Liiga team with less pressure might be best for him. HIFK has an option for 24/25 season so he can return then. Obviously as a young player he could take huge steps in the offseason and prove me wrong, as i hope he does.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
OK tournament for Halttunen and Finland's top scorer.
Absolutely Halttunen is a scorer but he tries too much all by himself sometimes.
Shot is very good but lacks accurasy.

It is now up to NHL GM's where Halttunen goes into draft.
But if i have to guess i say late 1st round to mid 2nd round range is quite realistic.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
OK tournament for Halttunen and Finland's top scorer.
Absolutely Halttunen is a scorer but he tries too much all by himself sometimes.
Shot is very good but lacks accurasy.

It is now up to NHL GM's where Halttunen goes into draft.
But if i have to guess i say late 1st round to mid 2nd round range is quite realistic.

I am guessing early 2nd round at this point. Unless there's a team late in the 1st round that wants to make a high risk high reward type of pick and takes Halttunen. I am intrigued by him and will be interesting to see how he develops next season.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don't think Halttunen should be a first rounder. Low hockey IQ and he doesn't have much skill. Hard inaccurate shot. Bad playmaking and passing. Skating is mediocre. He was able to score against junior players mostly because of his size but struggled to score in Liiga. High bust chance and low upside.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I just don't think any finn should be drafted in the first nor the second round. Really low on this years Finnish prospects. You can not be certain that Halttunen nor Hämeenaho will be better than Kiiskinen, Nurmi or Kumpulainen, or Lampinen, Vedenpää or Vali for that matter.
That means I wouldn't bet my money on them.
Many seem to believe Halttunen could be overrated but Hämeenaho has never impressed me against other juniors in different Finnish national teams. He does not stand out in any particular way, at least when I've seen him.
Horrendous year for us.

Last edited:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I just don't think any finn should be drafted in the first nor the second round. Really low on this years Finnish prospects. You can not be certain that Halttunen nor Hämeenaho will be better than Kiiskinen, Nurmi or Kumpulainen, or Lampinen, Vedenpää or Vali for that matter.
That means I wouldn't bet my money on them.
Many seem to believe Halttunen could be overrated but Hämeenaho has never impressed me against other juniors in different Finnish national teams. He does not stand out in any particular way, at least when I've seen him.
Horrendous year for us.
I like Hameenaho a lot. Is he going to be a superstar in the NHL? Probably not. But, I think Hameenaho is a pretty safe pick. He moves well, plays great along the boards, has decent size, and is a good net front presence. He plays the game the right way and could be a good defensive forward.

To stay on topic with Halttunen, I don’t think there is an NHL player in Halttunen. I just haven’t seen it from his play the same way I’ve seen it Hameenaho or even Kiiskinen for that matter. I agree with you in that it is not a great year for Fins.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad