Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Knicks with their 7 man rotation (starters + precious/burks) against this indy team would not have been favored by much

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
LAF - Chytil - KK24
taken-i-will-find-you.gif

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Apparently (if you believe Neil Smith), Nikolai Ehlers may be available. Who wants him?

Forget everything else, 2 of his 9 years he's been > 17 mins a night speaks volumes. Heavily, heavily sheltered ozone starts every year of his career too.

He'll get traded for a Gritty McGrit, the Jets will get panned for it, and they'll end up better off.

Reactions: haveandare

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Forget everything else, 2 of his 9 years he's been > 17 mins a night speaks volumes. Heavily, heavily sheltered ozone starts every year of his career too.

He'll get traded for a Gritty McGrit, the Jets will get panned for it, and they'll end up better off.

How will they be better off by trading a player who has been +29, +6, +21, +17, +11, +4, +7, +4, +7 at 5v5 in his career? He's also a zone entry machine (and the best player on their team but they like to feed all their minutes to the defensive disasters in Connor/Scheifele).

He's not even the most "sheltered" forward on his own team. Connor and Vilardi (i.e. the top line) have got even more o-zone starts than he has the L3 years and he's a whole 0.08 percentage points above Scheifele. He was 5/11 in o-zone start % among forwards with 500+ minutes on his team *this* year.

Reactions: LokiDog and tiggles

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
coupla dings
few pgs back someone said [inferred?] this core ain't good enuf
instant defense of club that won Prez trophy

truth: NO club is 111% good enuf all the time
even the best situated have to deal with injuries and occasional negative x factor

so we deserve a victory lap for what we've done thus far

that said, there is an ongoing obligation/need to get ahead of the curve.
we favor vets too much, and that works vs us

As to some immediate concrete observations:

1. REMPE
-- don't take my word for it
watched last game and noticed Rempe doing usual Rempe stuff
very solid in the corners
at intermission Messier commented to that effect, ok, expected
what was NOT expected is that he said Rempe had "high hockey IQ"
and had "earned the trust" of coach[es]/staff

I said play Edstrom, didn't realize he was injured
I said play Rempe, and he is not getting enuf mins

We were WAY superior to Craps
We are nominally better than Canes
they have outshot us EVERY SINGLE FUGGIN GAME
there is blame to go around there,
but part of it is not dominating, not physically exerting will
we need to do that AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
let the kid do his thing and help sap energy of opponents over course of game

2. Wennberg/lines
Stop screwing w/lines to accommodate loser Wennberg
I'm at a pt where his negative offense is not worth his defense

It was smart to play chytill, esp since he excels v Car
unfortunately, too much rust
but if/when he can go, he pivots Cuylle + KK, and that should remain the strategy

I am open to nominally successful Brodz as C there, or even Vesey, who IMO has the smarts to cut it as a stopgap while we wait on FC

I don't give a rat's ass about player ego, incl Shesty. He deserves full accolades to date, and last game was not his fault, but either last or prior game, Quick should have been in to give him a nite off.
They should do that now.

So --
Rempe in
Wenn out or reduced to 4th line only
Quick in 1 game only

going forward, we need to add more premium youth
youth is key over experience, b'c in POs, energy is a real thing

lgr

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Oh hell yeah I’d take Ehlers in a second. I think he’d work with Kreider and Zibanejad. Obviously we can’t afford his cap hit so never mind.

Still in shock that we won that game. Holy frankenthaler. LGR!

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Doesnt seem like there's any bad blood between JD and Drury. I still think JD fell on the sword with Gorton. He couldve hung around if he didnt. It was still 100% the correct move by Dolan.
I'll admit I was upset initially - mostly because I loved JD as a player and a color guy for the team. In hindsight it was absolutely the right call.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think we should try and find a way to sign Brett Pesce. Trouba's got a modified NTC starting this year and only two years left on his deal. I think whichever teams are on his list, one of them would be interested in bringing him in given the perception of his "leadership and intangibles," especially if we win the Cup. Then you just give the Trouba contract to Pesce, pair him with Miller. Pesce grew up in NY, too.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
roslovic is our joel armia. the type of players that are drafted in the 1st round that still try to execute using their skill sets in the nhl level but consistently to no avail. but they do make up for that through other ways.

we're going to need this guy to carry the team for that one game in the series when all the reliable scorers are experiencing comas.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think we should try and find a way to sign Brett Pesce. Trouba's got a modified NTC starting this year and only two years left on his deal. I think whichever teams are on his list, one of them would be interested in bringing him in given the perception of his "leadership and intangibles," especially if we win the Cup. Then you just give the Trouba contract to Pesce, pair him with Miller. Pesce grew up in NY, too.
Not a chance in hell I give Pesce a fat contract

Schneider is the Trouba replacement. Get a strong 3RD that can slot up if needed. A guy like Tanev is perfect but don’t think he’d come to NY

We need another top4 LHD. Lindgren is not a top4 guy. Chychrun or Theodore types. They need to be mobile and competent on offense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad