Patriots/NFL Road to the Super Bowl 2022 - playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
lol why cant we just be honest and say unlikely Bills win a super bowl with this team as they choke back to back years.

Not every loss is a "choke". KC was favored and playing at home both years. They get paid too.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Bills Mafia won't stop until they change the OT rules. Funny enough, no comment by Chief fans now that the rule worked in their favor~

The irony
I am a Bills fan who lives in Saskatchewan. Go figure!

I don't want the rule changed just because my team lost. They needed to do 2 things to win last night. #1 Stop the chiefs O. #2 KICK THE BALL SHORT AFTER THE TD WITH 13 SECONDS LEFT.

and as a Bills fan I can't believe someone actually played we are the champions last week. The funny sensation is your backside? That's Karma biting you in the ash,

In 2019 Chiefs lost to Brady and the Pats (Mahomes didn't touch the ball in OT) and in 2020 climbed the mountain.

I think the Bills need to make a few changes but I think they'll get there. Allen is pretty good.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Nope. The only way Brady is coming back, is when he retires and he gets inducted into the Pats hall of fame.

Big Jim Murray is simply looking for something that isn't there so he can cry into all that Tompa Bay memorabilia he bought.

I wonder where Tom actually would go if he was done with Tampa. Tennessee was the big suitor the first time and they still really need to upgrade form Tannehill and have a great offense set up there to go, plus Vrabel.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay are both going to have openings too. But is Gisele going to be okay living in the Great Lakes Rust Belt region? Houston is full of former Pats execs and will hire either Flores or Mayo to be coach so they could possibly try to court him, but that team has a lot of work to put in to become competitive overnight. I assume that Gronk follows wherever Tom goes, and he'll attract decent WR free agents too, so I can't discount anything. Last time the Chargers and Chicago both also went for him, but since then they have good young QBs in Herbert and Fields. I guess Tennessee makes the most sense, but who knows. Honestly never thought Tampa was going to happen last time around (still can't believe he chose to live there for two years).

Either way this offseason is going to be really fun from a league-wide perspective. You've got Rodgers and maybe Brady on the move. Probably Deshaun Watson getting reinstated and moved as well. Tannehill will get a look around the league if the Titans get one of the above to replace him. And what if the 49ers decide to deal Jimmy on the back of an NFCCG and maybe Superbowl appearance to go with Lance? Could be a fun little QB carousel

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's funny to think about how much the game and the league have changed in 35 years. I was thinking about The Drive which puffed up Elway's legend as a clutch comeback master when I was a kid. And now someone probably does that every week. 98 yards with over 5 minutes left, like that's practically nothing in the modern NFL. No one would blink an eye if Matt Stafford did that in the NFCCG next week.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
It's funny to think about how much the game and the league have changed in 35 years. I was thinking about The Drive which puffed up Elway's legend as a clutch comeback master when I was a kid. And now someone probably does that every week. 98 yards with over 5 minutes left, like that's practically nothing in the modern NFL. No one would blink an eye if Matt Stafford did that in the NFCCG next week.

This is an interesting point, and I think its this: the days of dominant defense are just over. Do you remember the "Iron Curtain" Steelers defenses of the 70s, the 1980s Giants with Lawrence Taylor, the mid 1980s Bears defense with Richard Dent and Mike Singletary, the early 90s Eagles D with Reggie White, Jerome Brown and Seth Joyner, the 1990s Cowboys defense with Charles Hayley and Deion Sanders. These were D's that would utterly dominate games, regularly holding opposing offense to less than 20 points, sometimes less than that.

And there is nothing like now. NOTHING. Best you can hope for are "bend don't break" D's, D's who cause just enough disruption to allow their team to win. I mean, the Rams probably have the best D in the league, and they are far from complete.

Maybe its by design by the NFL? Audiences would match rather watch aerial dogfights like yesterday's game than a 13-10 defensive slugfest.

But yeah the dominant defenses of all old appear to be extinct.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think part of it is the protective rule changes over the years too.
Be it pass coverage, QB protection and where you can hit anyone.
The hammer has gone from sledge to rock pick.

Reactions: sycamore

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This is an interesting point, and I think its this: the days of dominant defense are just over. Do you remember the "Iron Curtain" Steelers defenses of the 70s, the 1980s Giants with Lawrence Taylor, the mid 1980s Bears defense with Richard Dent and Mike Singletary, the early 90s Eagles D with Reggie White, Jerome Brown and Seth Joyner, the 1990s Cowboys defense with Charles Hayley and Deion Sanders. These were D's that would utterly dominate games, regularly holding opposing offense to less than 20 points, sometimes less than that.

And there is nothing like now. NOTHING. Best you can hope for are "bend don't break" D's, D's who cause just enough disruption to allow their team to win. I mean, the Rams probably have the best D in the league, and they are far from complete.

Maybe its by design by the NFL? Audiences would match rather watch aerial dogfights like yesterday's game than a 13-10 defensive slugfest.

But yeah the dominant defenses of all old appear to be extinct.

It's 80% because of rule changes and 20% because of the developments in offensive strategies and the training of QBs. Honestly both are influenced by Peyton Manning - he was the shining example of the new breed of QB and naturally the most gifted QB since Marino, so everyone modeled their strategies after his offense, then the league changed rules to benefit him because TDs equal ratings.

If one rule changed everything it's the enforcement of illegal contact, which was technically always a penalty but not actually called until after the Patriots shut down the Colts in 2003 and Polian whined about it. If you can't chuck or slow down receivers 5 yards downfield, it becomes a track meet and guys like Diggs and Hill can burn by anyone. The emphasis on targeting and roughing has opened up the middle of the field for slot guys too - Belichick (or perhaps McDaniels) was the first to catch onto this, to his credit, when he picked up Welker from the Dolphins. Put Julian Edelman on the 1985 49ers, he literally may have died of post-concussion syndrome running up against the linebackers of the Giants and Bears. Now you can't pop a dude's head off, thankfully, but it also changes the game to have more crossing routes and underneath stuff. WRs are a lot more open than they would've been 35 years ago, combined with the fact that QBs these days are razor sharp and much more accurate passing (some of this is field conditions and equipment advances - balls, gloves, etc.).

The league leader in completion percentage in 1985 was Joe Montana at 61.3%. In 2021, that would put him in a tie for 26th with Jalen Hurts. Zach Wilson, who is dead last among qualifying QBs at 55.6% in 1985 would be tied with Phil Simms at 11th.

It's just a completely different game.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
(BTW I kind of look like a fool there -- its "Steel Curtain" of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s, not "Iron Curtain".) :)

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I mean, yes. But does Bill redshirt Mac for a year or does he trade him for futures then start all over again the next year?

I don't think it's happening, personally. But interesting to think about.
I don't see how it works brining him back for a year. Wouldn't even be a redshirt year, they would have to straight up bench Mac for a year, after having a great rookie year. Would be really hard to trade Mac since he fits the club so well from his style of play to demeanor.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
Not every loss is a "choke". KC was favored and playing at home both years. They get paid too.

While true its the bigger picture. Going 0-2 against KC back to back years and blowing multiple leads in under 2 minutes is a choke. You may not see it this way, but the Bills choking on Sunday with 13 seconds left brought back the memories of your 4-1 comeback against the Leafs in 2013.

My buddy is a KC fan and said honestly "you guys look good, next few years you'll win it all" reminds me of what Washington and Boston said about the Leafs "Matthews and the Leafs are close, just this year is our year, but I bet you'll see the Leafs winning very soon"

Both teams are hilarious choke jobs that are clearly cursed haha. I expect Leafs to lose in 7 this year 1st round and Bills to lose in WC playoff next year, if they make playoffs

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
While true its the bigger picture. Going 0-2 against KC back to back years and blowing multiple leads in under 2 minutes is a choke. You may not see it this way, but the Bills choking on Sunday with 13 seconds left brought back the memories of your 4-1 comeback against the Leafs in 2013.

My buddy is a KC fan and said honestly "you guys look good, next few years you'll win it all" reminds me of what Washington and Boston said about the Leafs "Matthews and the Leafs are close, just this year is our year, but I bet you'll see the Leafs winning very soon"

Both teams are hilarious choke jobs that are clearly cursed haha. I expect Leafs to lose in 7 this year 1st round and Bills to lose in WC playoff next year, if they make playoffs

You could definitely say their defense and coaching staff choked at the end on Sunday.

Last year they were underdogs and got beat without much drama behind it. That's not a choke, just a team losing to a better club.

Reactions: cbbb25

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It’s probably the best hire they’ve made recently.
Yeah I don't know. Leftwich was the architect of that 30 pick season from Winston who actually looked competent at times in NO. Brady comes into town and suddenly Leftwhich basically has an offense that runs itself with the GOAt. At the very least he is going to be earning his money in Jax. They have a lot of work to do.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I don't know. Leftwich was the architect of that 30 pick season from Winston who actually looked competent at times in NO. Brady comes into town and suddenly Leftwhich basically has an offense that runs itself with the GOAt. At the very least he is going to be earning his money in Jax. They have a lot of work to do.

Winston also had 5k yards and 30 TDs that season, that ain't too shabby. Don't cherry pick stats

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

He was also 1st in yards with 5,109, 2nd in TD with 33, 2nd in YPC and 5th in YPA.

Pretty good behind an OL that was much worse than what Brady has been behind there. Winston got sacked 47 times that season

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Winston also had 5k yards and 30 TDs that season, that ain't too shabby. Don't cherry pick stats
The 5k yards isn't the issue lol. He had an historic season for the wrong reason. My point was Leftwhichs track record doesnt install a ton of faith. I think the jury is still out on him. He's by no reason a slam dunk hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad