Confirmed with Link: Rittich signed to 1 year extension cord

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's what concerns me. They are going to just run the whole thing back again, keep nodding and smiling and saying how great the progress is. Wouldnt you if you had cap f***ed yourself into irrelevance and had no instructions on how to exit? We all saw how great the season turned out with three No.2 goalies as our crease.
I am thinking of taking a year off, I dont need to watch this again I already saw the ending.

Yeah I"m not 'for' it necesarily, it's just easy to see coming

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
At this point, they should save the cap space & just run Rittich along with Portillo next season.

Team isn’t going anywhere, and it’s time for Portillo to get some starts to see what we have in him.

Talbot needs to go, he has simply proven he cannot last a whole season.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
At this point, they should save the cap space & just run Rittich along with Portillo next season.

Team isn’t going anywhere, and it’s time for Portillo to get some starts to see what we have in him.

Youre thinking logically - but this team is built on mythology...e.g. Luc "we were right there just like Carolina last year". So put on your clown makeup and nose, recalibrate, then tell me what they do

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Rittich for 30 starts next season. Copley is an unknown, but would be good depth if there is a goalie injury. The puck is in Blake's own end for him to actually be resourceful and acquire a #1 goalie. Saros/Markstrom/Ullmark/Kuemper should be explored as trade options. FA should be a no, as there are no legit #1's available(maybe you take a chance on Samsonov if he takes a pay cut from his previous $3.5 million cap hit and if he can be goalie coached better than he was with the Caps/Leafs).

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Good deal for Rittich. He make a solid back up and if he filters the contract can be buried in the AHL. So no problem with it at all. What really matters is what happens with the number one position.

I personally think AK will be used as a chip to fill the slot, I think it’s unrealistic to think that PLD will be moved in such a deal. So we’d hopefully get a couple of assets coming back. However, I do think there is still a chance that someone like Danault gets moved. To get the best out of PLD, he needs to play in the top six and on the powerplay . I’m not saying his best is good enough though.

Also, we all know Danault does not want to play as a third line centre and wants power playtime. So value wise this is probably a good time to move him. It would give space for a goaltender and if I can get by QB on a bridge deal, they would have a little bit to get a veteran centre a UFA (with grit). I’m not saying this is who I want them to trade, I’m saying that’s who I think they will trade if they want to fill the goaltender position with a genuine number one.

Last edited:

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Good deal for Rittich. He make a solid back up and if he filters the contract can be buried in the AHL. So no problem with it at all. What really matters is what happens with the number one position.

I personally think AK will be used as a chip to fill the slot, I think it’s unrealistic to think that PLD will be moved in such a deal. So we’d hopefully get a couple of assets coming back. However, I do think there is still a chance that someone like Danault gets moved. To get the best out of PLD, he needs to play in the top six and on the powerplay . I’m not saying his best is good enough though.

Also, we all know Danault does not want to play as a third line centre and wants power playtime. So value wise this is probably a good time to move him. It would give space for a goaltender and if I can get by QB on a bridge deal, they would have a little bit to get a veteran centre a UFA (with grit). I’m not saying this is who I want them to trade, I’m saying that’s who I think they will trade if they want to fill the goaltender position with a genuine number one.
I would try to trade Moore to get some assets.
I do not believe he is playoffs type of player…

Reactions: AbsentMojo

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA

I keep leaning this way lately and was just going to make a similar post.

Portillo will be 24 next year (for context Jeremy Swayman is 25 and already has 100+ NHL games played) and will have just finished a fantastic year in the AHL - The plan should absolutely be to get him into NHL games next season. I feel like this approach would also make sense for his confidence. Let him keep rolling and take the next step after being a beast in the AHL. Instead of sitting him down and saying "yeahhhhhhh we know you did amazing last year and we know our NHL goalies kinda suck but we've already decided we're just going to keep you in the AHL again this year... But hey maybe next year kid!"... Like imagine hearing that as a player. Talk about demoralizing.

Also, there's a couple key problems with the concept of just 'acquiring a legit #1 goaltender':
  • THE COST (in terms of trade price)
    • Acquiring a legit #1 goalie would be VERY expensive and this team has already been shedding future assets consistently over the last 3 seasons.... Do we really want to trade away more futures right now?
  • THE OPTIONS
    • I've looked at the goaltending market SO many times throughout the season and the last couple weeks - This shouldn't really come as a shocker to anyone but it's really not great
    • In terms of 'legit #1 goaltenders' that might be available this offseason (or even going through next TDL).... You're basically looking at Saros and Ullmark
      • And even those two players probably aren't available to begin with (If they are available, get ready to overpay significantly)
  • THE RISK
    • As we've seen throughout the years with goaltending around the league... it can be VERY unpredictable.
    • Just look at Winnipeg... They have arguably one of the best goaltenders in the league and a guy they've invested $8.5m into and the guy just lays an egg come playoffs time
    • Even if the Kings were to trade for a Saros or Ullmark... There's no guarantee that either one of those guys actually shows up when it counts come playoffs time.
I think most of us would also agree that acquiring a true #1 goaltender doesn't necessarily make the Kings contenders - So what's the point in spending big on a goalie?

Signing Rittich is solid. Sign Portillo to a 2 year bridge deal and plan to at least get him 5-10 NHL starts next season. Then sign another budget goalie or two and see how it goes. If you really need to, you can trade for a goalie at the trade deadline depending on what situation the team is in.

Reactions: lumbergh

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I keep leaning this way lately and was just going to make a similar post.

Portillo will be 24 next year (for context Jeremy Swayman is 25 and already has 100+ NHL games played) and will have just finished a fantastic year in the AHL - The plan should absolutely be to get him into NHL games next season. I feel like this approach would also make sense for his confidence. Let him keep rolling and take the next step after being a beast in the AHL. Instead of sitting him down and saying "yeahhhhhhh we know you did amazing last year and we know our NHL goalies kinda suck but we've already decided we're just going to keep you in the AHL again this year... But hey maybe next year kid!"... Like imagine hearing that as a player. Talk about demoralizing.

Also, there's a couple key problems with the concept of just 'acquiring a legit #1 goaltender':
  • THE COST (in terms of trade price)
    • Acquiring a legit #1 goalie would be VERY expensive and this team has already been shedding future assets consistently over the last 3 seasons.... Do we really want to trade away more futures right now?
  • THE OPTIONS
    • I've looked at the goaltending market SO many times throughout the season and the last couple weeks - This shouldn't really come as a shocker to anyone but it's really not great
    • In terms of 'legit #1 goaltenders' that might be available this offseason (or even going through next TDL).... You're basically looking at Saros and Ullmark
      • And even those two players probably aren't available to begin with (If they are available, get ready to overpay significantly)
  • THE RISK
    • As we've seen throughout the years with goaltending around the league... it can be VERY unpredictable.
    • Just look at Winnipeg... They have arguably one of the best goaltenders in the league and a guy they've invested $8.5m into and the guy just lays an egg come playoffs time
    • Even if the Kings were to trade for a Saros or Ullmark... There's no guarantee that either one of those guys actually shows up when it counts come playoffs time.
I think most of us would also agree that acquiring a true #1 goaltender doesn't necessarily make the Kings contenders - So what's the point in spending big on a goalie?

Signing Rittich is solid. Sign Portillo to a 2 year bridge deal and plan to at least get him 5-10 NHL starts next season. Then sign another budget goalie or two and see how it goes. If you really need to, you can trade for a goalie at the trade deadline depending on what situation the team is in.
Having said all this... I would now like to propose we trade Danault, the rights to Kaliyev, and a 2025 2nd round pick to Boston for Ullmark lmao. Who says no?

Edit: Nvm I forgot that Ullmark probably doesn't want to come to the west coast (cuz brain dead???) so it probably doesn't even work if Boston says yes to that :(

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Having said all this... I would now like to propose we trade Danault, the rights to Kaliyev, and a 2025 2nd round pick to Boston for Ullmark lmao. Who says no?

Edit: Nvm I forgot that Ullmark probably doesn't want to come to the west coast (cuz brain dead???) so it probably doesn't even work if Boston says yes to that :(
Danault himself is worth more than Ullmark. He is a backup goalie on his team.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Danault himself is worth more than Ullmark. He is a backup goalie on his team.
Looking at his playoff numbers backs up your point quite well. 2nd season is a whole different ballgame not every player can rise to it: Linus Ullmark - Stats, Contract, Salary & More
Okay but he's a backup to arguably the best goalie in the NHL.... Ullmark would be the starter on at least 50% of NHL teams. He's also a 'back up goalie' who played 40 games this year... That's definitely more 1b than backup.

But in a way you guys are kind of proving my original point: There are no good options out there for legit #1 goaltenders who are available to acquire. Even Ullmark, a name that's been thrown out there consistently as one of the more solid options that might be available, isn't necessarily a true surefire #1 goaltender who we'd be confident about in the postseason. Saros, another guy Kings fans have talked about consistently over the last year - Also doesn't have proven post season success (Saros has literally never won a post season series while goaltending for the Preds).

So it kind of comes back to: Maybe going the 'budget goaltending' route is the best option until the Kings can develop a true #1 goalie internally (please god let Portillo work out lol)

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm not opposed at all to the "run it back" and all is well path. Because the alternative scares me -- trading the 1st, trading future high draft picks, trading good/young players for aging vets, etc.

Let Bluc 'cook' and see how this next season goes. If they drastically improve and advance well into SC playoffs, then ok. If they fail, then sayonara surf crew and we get a new FO next summer.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So was this Blake"s idea, Luc's idea Or Bargin Bins idea?

Or did Bargin Bin whisper into Luc's ear and Luc order Blake to re-sign him?

Either way if this is our Back-up tendy or rotate between Ontario and L.A tender I am good with it.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Some of the worst suggestions ever to trade Danault and Moore.

Only guy I'd trade is PLD.
Danault is 31 and will would probably fetch a very decent return. Moore is 29 and his value is probably at an all time high.

Should the Kings wait to sell these players until their value diminishes just so they can remain a fridge playoff team that gets bounced in the first round every year? Or should they focus on the future and focus on trying to build a legitimate contender?

Both are very good hockey players and I've loved watching both players on the Kings (I've half jokingly referred to Moore as the best player in the NHL on many occasions lol) but the Kings are in a situation where they know the current roster isn't good enough and need to shake things up. They're also up against the cap and have a number of young players knocking on the door looking for playing time...

Additionally, this team is starting to lack future assets given recent trades. Trading Moore and/or Danault would hurt and would likely cause the team to regress next year but it would accomplish a couple things that could be necessary:
  • free up cap space
    • That cap space could then be used to rebuild/revamp the bottom 6 and/or solidify the goaltending position
  • Re-coup future assets
    • A couple picks and maybe an extra prospect or two with some upside would sure be nice to have in the Kings organization right now
  • Free up roster spots for young players
    • Specifically thinking about Turcotte, Fagemo, and Thomas here... Ideally, those players shouldn't be 4th line grinders... Trading Moore and/or Danault would free up a spot or two in the top 9 so you could give those guys a legitimate chance to prove something
Again, I like both players and don't necessarily love the idea of trading them but at the end of the day they're middle 6 players who put up 50-ish points at best.... It's not like they're irreplaceable.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Danault is 31 and will would probably fetch a very decent return. Moore is 29 and his value is probably at an all time high.

Should the Kings wait to sell these players until their value diminishes just so they can remain a fridge playoff team that gets bounced in the first round every year? Or should they focus on the future and focus on trying to build a legitimate contender?

Both are very good hockey players and I've loved watching both players on the Kings (I've half jokingly referred to Moore as the best player in the NHL on many occasions lol) but the Kings are in a situation where they know the current roster isn't good enough and need to shake things up. They're also up against the cap and have a number of young players knocking on the door looking for playing time...

Additionally, this team is starting to lack future assets given recent trades. Trading Moore and/or Danault would hurt and would likely cause the team to regress next year but it would accomplish a couple things that could be necessary:
  • free up cap space
    • That cap space could then be used to rebuild/revamp the bottom 6 and/or solidify the goaltending position
  • Re-coup future assets
    • A couple picks and maybe an extra prospect or two with some upside would sure be nice to have in the Kings organization right now
  • Free up roster spots for young players
    • Specifically thinking about Turcotte, Fagemo, and Thomas here... Ideally, those players shouldn't be 4th line grinders... Trading Moore and/or Danault would free up a spot or two in the top 9 so you could give those guys a legitimate chance to prove something
Again, I like both players and don't necessarily love the idea of trading them but at the end of the day they're middle 6 players who put up 50-ish points at best.... It's not like they're irreplaceable.

Your points are valid but we are not going to the playoffs likely without these two.

Wouldn't trade either until they are expiring that same season.

Not only do you give up two pillars lifting the Kings up both offensively and defensively but the acquired chemistry they have as well.

Moore disappointed in playoffs but his 4.2 for 31 is unbelievable.

Blake is gonna Blake and try to save his job, with another stab at playoff relevance.

Maybe if he is not extended , next summer with a new GM.

I would keep some young guys in place of Grundstrom, Lizotte, Lewis, and even Laferriere or anyone else not waiver eligible to start next season.

Quickly analyze the team and individual performance, before making moves and getting Laferriere and anyone else deserving back up from Reign.

Especially with any new coach or systems.

I don't think they know anything for sure until the get better coaches and development, maybe even scouting.
Basically you are a year or a regime change to early to consider, what you and many here have been gunning for.

It's almost like the more they bitch the more they get stuck with the same stuff in their faces.

Last edited:
Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Your points are valid but we are not going to the playoffs likely without these two.

Wouldn't trade either until they are expiring that same season.

Not only do you give up two pillars lifting the Kings up both offensively and defensively but the acquired chemistry they have as well.

Moore disappointed in playoffs but his 4.2 for 31 is unbelievable.

Blake is gonna Blake and try to save his job, with another stab at playoff relevance.

Maybe if he is not extended , next summer with a new GM.

I would keep some young guys in place of Grundstrom, Lizotte, Lewis, and even Laferriere or anyone else not waiver eligible to start next season.

Quickly analyze the tea and individual performance, before making moves and getting Laferriere and anyone else deserving back up from Reign.

Especially with any new coach or systems.

I don't think they know anything for sure until the get better coaches and development, maybe even scouting.

Basically you are a year or aregine change to early to consider, what you and may here have been gunning for.

It's almost like the more they bitch the more they get stuck with the same stuff in their faces.
Don't know if I agree with you entirely on everything here but you make some solid points too and I agree chances are Blake is gonna Blake and as a result both players are very unlikely to be moved.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Should the Kings wait to sell these players until their value diminishes just so they can remain a fridge playoff team that gets bounced in the first round every year?

Blake: "yes"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad