News Article: RIP Dutchy

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He's long since left Edmonton, but he's still a legend in this town and I thought it deserved it's own thread, RIP Dutch.

Sorry for missing the other thread if the Mods want to merge this one. Just shocked and sad.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
just heard on the radio. damn that sucks. I remember as a kid forcing myself to stay up to watch Sportsnight.

Let this be a reminder guys....don't ignore shit that don't quite feel right and get checked to cover that which you can't feel. I lost my grandfather to prostate cancer (it metastasized and ravaged him). My FIL just finished radiation for it late last year and shortly after his diagnosis, my BIL's brother got tested and sure as shit....he had it.

It can be as simple as a blood test these days. It may not feel macho....but surviving is a helluva lot more macho than dying!!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
just heard on the radio. damn that sucks. I remember as a kid forcing myself to stay up to watch Sportsnight.

Let this be a reminder guys....don't ignore shit that don't quite feel right and get checked to cover that which you can't feel. I lost my grandfather to prostate cancer (it metastasized and ravaged him). My FIL just finished radiation for it late last year and shortly after his diagnosis, my BIL's brother got tested and sure as shit....he had it.

It can be as simple as a blood test these days. It may not feel macho....but surviving is a helluva lot more macho than dying!!

Once a year after 40 guys, whether you feel you need it or not... full checkup... and yeah, it's a lot easier these days. A bloodtest is usually all that is required for both prostate and colorectal screening. Just make sure to ask for both (and all the other routine cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc).

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

This hits close to home. Remember growing up watching him nightly on ITV Sports then on TSN Sportscenter as lead anchor of the 9 pm sportscast. The guy was a legend.

RIP Dutchy.

Oh Christ
Met the man and had awesome.e chat / visit. Championed him when he got poached for the east.

Way to young. Trendsetter with delivery. RIP

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Once a year after 40 guys, whether you feel you need it or not... full checkup... and yeah, it's a lot easier these days. A bloodtest is usually all that is required for both prostate and colorectal screening. Just make sure to ask for both (and all the other routine cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc).

I am 47. After my FIL and by BILs brother I asked my doctor during my phsyical when he was doing up the standard bloodwork. I asked for my PSA to get checked. He said, "you don't need it until 50".

I said, "Listen, I lost my grandfather, almost lost my FIL and my BILs is going through hell right now watching his brother after we watched our FIL fight....I want it checked".

So also as another reminder.....be your own advocate!!!

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This one hits me in the feels, damn. Like a lot of us apparently I grew up watching him on ITV. He knew how to keep it entertaining. Met him a bunch of times, really nice guy. Lifelong Oiler fan no matter where he resided. RIP Dutch.

Working in Toronto working for TSN as an Oilers fan....

YARN | I don't know how he did that... | White Chicks (2004) | Video gifs  by quotes | 89251397 | 紗

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad