Referee Wes McCauley has a major conflict with Keefe, shouldn't be reffing Leafs Games

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1681876046426.png

source: Fan reveals that there is a conflict of interest between Sheldon Keefe and Wes McCauley

David Frost is Wes McCauley's brother in law. Frost abused Keefe and others for years in Jr that even extended to later years.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
McCauley's call on Kampf

bonus: here is the amazing one-handed crosscheck incase you missed it

Great crosschecking call by McCauley

I guess Kampf has a history of violent penalties ... let's check his record.

1681877029329.png

82 games 4 penalty minutes this year. Never more than 10 in a season ever.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
it's getting worse.

The Leafs Playoff Record when Wes McCauley Officiates is 0-8 Since the 2016-17 Season

source -

Comment:
How Wes McCauley is allowed to coach in games with Sheldon Keefe as coach is beyond me, given their prior history and Sheldon testifying against Wes’ brother-in-law. I’m shocked this isn’t discussed even a little bit in the MSM (but on the other hand, I’m not because the refs are always looked upon as do-no-wrong).

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
it's getting worse.

The Leafs Playoff Record when Wes McCauley Officiates is 0-8 Since the 2016-17 Season

source -

Comment:
How Wes McCauley is allowed to coach in games with Sheldon Keefe as coach is beyond me, given their prior history and Sheldon testifying against Wes’ brother-in-law. I’m shocked this isn’t discussed even a little bit in the MSM (but on the other hand, I’m not because the refs are always looked upon as do-no-wrong).

That 0-8 playoff record is more damning than Wes family connection to be more honest.

• Haha
Reactions: Fan from AK

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
couldn’t have possibly said it any better tbh
In that we suepect that he is throwing games or in that in that in order to avoid any appearance of inproprietity, he should not be allowed to officiate Leaf games?

In which case, if the NHL limits involvement , they are saying you can't trust a ref to be impartial regardless of any personal feelings, yes? That's a slippery slope there. Either he's a ref or not.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
FWIW, McCauley has reffed 3 playoff games since Keefe took over:

2023 game 1: 7-3 Leafs loss, Leafs 15 PIMs, Tampa 8
2022 game 7: 2-1 Leafs loss, Leafs 4 PIMs, Tampa 6
2020 game 3: 4-3 Leafs loss, Leafs 6 PIMs, BJs 4

I thought we got a rough go of the reffing tonight (a few really soft calls on us, some blatant missed calls on Tampa), but I can't remember if that was the case in the other 2, and penalties suggest it wasn't. Seems like more of a one-off than a pattern - for example, in the regular season this year we were 5-0-1 in games reffed by McCauley, if he has beef with Keefe, weird that it wouldn't show in the regular season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
FWIW, McCauley has reffed 3 playoff games since Keefe took over:

2023 game 1: 7-3 Leafs loss, Leafs 15 PIMs, Tampa 8
2022 game 7: 2-1 Leafs loss, Leafs 4 PIMs, Tampa 6
2020 game 3: 4-3 Leafs loss, Leafs 6 PIMs, BJs 4

I thought we got a rough go of the reffing tonight (a few really soft calls on us, some blatant missed calls on Tampa), but I can't remember if that was the case in the other 2, and penalties suggest it wasn't. Seems like more of a one-off than a pattern - for example, in the regular season this year we were 5-0-1 in games reffed by McCauley, if he has beef with Keefe, weird that it wouldn't show in the regular season.

He better not have beef with Keefe

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dont know if this dude is unproffessional. But if you are in a high power position, You should not even be close to a situation that could make u accused of a conflict of interest. Not if it can be avoided. And in this case it could.

But we lost because our topscorers did not score enough.

Reactions: horner

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Do people care about their brothers-in-law?

Isn’t it 50/50 whether it’s someone you like or some clown you have to tolerate at family functions and listen to ramble on about the engine in his new Kia he’s so proud of?

This is the stupidest non-controversy I’ve ever seen posted on these boards.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Lets not go that far, but that was the worst officiated playoff game I've ever seen. Basically they blew 5 of the last 6 penalty calls of the game. And the 1 that was okay was the Bunting one. They completely destroyed the game at 3-2. And yes, Refs have personal vendetta's with players and staff, but I just think Wes is an asshole rather than anything to do with David Frost.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The Leafs seem to have a conflict against building winning teams, and yet here we all are

• Haha
Reactions: TMLegend

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2 things can be true.

The Leafs absolutely failed to show up on time last night and there is a massive conflict of interest in terms of officiating. There are SEVERAL refs to choose from, Wes shouldn't have even been in the pool of candidates to consider.

In the IIHF, I don't even believe they let a Canadian ref a Canadian game because of the risk of conflict of interest or bias.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The refs absolutely were dog water last night. There is no arguing it....but I can't be angry about it. If the Leafs had of showed up on time, if the coach hadn't gotten taken to school. Maybe then I would feel like we could complain about the refs. The way we played? Refs were down the list of problems lol

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
ESPN messier and chelios said its the worst officiated game they've ever seen

It was right there with some of the Boston series games. It's Bet99man, they're fixing blatantly at this point because people just complain and keep watching. There is probably enough data available now for the Leafs to demand action and change or else take them to court.

Put it this way, if this were World cup soccer, Argentina would be writing articles about FIFA and probably hit the streets. It wouldn't be pretty. Polite Canadians will not even phone the head office of the NHL and say the reffing of that game was BS.

One thing I noticed in the PO's is that under Lou there was a lot less monkey business. It probably has something to do with him knowing where the bodies are buried and being a Lawyer, if you know what I mean.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
2 things can be true.

The Leafs absolutely failed to show up on time last night and there is a massive conflict of interest in terms of officiating. There are SEVERAL refs to choose from, Wes shouldn't have even been in the pool of candidates to consider.

In the IIHF, I don't even believe they let a Canadian ref a Canadian game because of the risk of conflict of interest or bias.

Bet99man brother, that's all you need to know.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Dont know if this dude is unproffessional. But if you are in a high power position, You should not even be close to a situation that could make u accused of a conflict of interest. Not if it can be avoided. And in this case it could.

But we lost because our topscorers did not score enough.
8 goals to get a win is a little ridiculous . They were beat because Holl gets ice time, got beat on a couple early goals and some attrocious officiating not because their top scorers wer'nt scoring .

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
8 goals to get a win is a little ridiculous . They were beat because Holl gets ice time, got beat on a couple early goals and some attrocious officiating not because their top scorers wer'nt scoring .
justin holl not hitting perry on that first goal should have been the last time he saw the ice
but the leafs have several liabilities on defence ,
gio looks 40
schenn is slow
mcabe is coming but last night he must have felt t he black hawks structure
this team had 82 games to prepare to win a playoff round
now they have to win 4 OF 6
i think the draft day trades will be the highlights this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad