Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bill Friday was a good referee but elder Bruins fans still wince at his name more than 50 years later.

He was the ref for this game in 1969

A year later he awarded Chicago a goal when he mistook a Sports Illustrated camera as the puck and the Hawks won the game 1-0. It wound up costing the Bruins home ice in 1970 but they wound up sweeping Chicago anyways.

In 1999 he was the video judge in Buffalo for Game 6 of the SCF and he knew there was an issue with the winning goal but Bettman did not want to deal with it at 2 AM and awarded the Cup to Dallas.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bill Friday, a legendary, flamboyant whistleblower of his day who was the only person to referee both Stanley Cup Final and World Hockey Association Avco Cup Final games, died Monday. He was 91.

Flamboyant indeed.

Went to the WHA so he could piss off a whole new breed hockey fan.

He seemed to enjoy favoring the visiting team because he loved the boos.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Flamboyant indeed.

Went to the WHA so he could piss off a whole new breed hockey fan.

He seemed to enjoy favoring the visiting team because he loved the boos.
Friday's jump to the WHA wasn't the banner-headline news of Chicago Black Hawks superstar Bobby Hull's high-profile defection from the NHL, it gave the new league instant credibility.

"I did it for money, pure and simple," Friday told Irvin Jr. "The WHA offered me $50,000 a year for three years. I'd been with the NHL 12 years and was making $22,000. The NHL countered with a three-year offer of $26,000, $30,000 and $34,000, [but] I had five kids at home and $50,000 is pretty good money.

"I couldn't afford not to take it. Despite all the money problems with the WHA, I never missed a paycheck in seven years. ... The WHA treated me royally."

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bill Friday was a good referee but elder Bruins fans still wince at his name more than 50 years later.

He was the ref for this game in 1969

A year later he awarded Chicago a goal when he mistook a Sports Illustrated camera as the puck and the Hawks won the game 1-0. It wound up costing the Bruins home ice in 1970 but they wound up sweeping Chicago anyways.

In 1999 he was the video judge in Buffalo for Game 6 of the SCF and he knew there was an issue with the winning goal but Bettman did not want to deal with it at 2 AM and awarded the Cup to Dallas.
Pretty sure that game was on TV 38 WSBK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad