Redraft 2015

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's interesting to think about how certain mistakes that happened before a rebuild started could have changed the course of things. Imagine we had taken some combination of two of Jenner/Saad/Gibson/Rakell. Those guys were probably too young to really impact any of the finishes in 2014, 2015 or 2016 too dramatically, but man the 2017 Leafs would have been terrifying.
Personally speaking I don't like those what if's considering when they got selected at that point in the draft. Even if the Leafs didn't trade those picks away there is no guarantee they would have been selected by them.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

Personally I would love Provorov

Too early to tell. Marner at 19 was better than Joe Thornton at the same age. There are few D in the last 20 years I would trade 19 year old Joe for and Provo and Werenski aren't on that list. Skinner at 18 looked better than Stamkos so it could go south just as easy.

I would say its not unreasonable that a 60pt teenage rookie forward could be a top five scorer for years to come. Knowing how he would turn out, would you trade Pat Kane for Werenski? In two or three years it might be obvious, but I wouldn't want to be the guy that traded Brett Hull because I had Niewendyk in the system.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
I think the leafs at this point gotta go with the pittsburgh model. Team speed and two way players, especially up the middle. Can get away with not having a true number 1 on the back end.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
at the end of their career's, I wouldn't be shocked if Marner is more successful than Eichel. So no, I would not change who we picked in the fourth slot.
I know centre is a more difficult position than winger, and I don't think Marner will ever centre a line.
But I think he will drive the offense more than Eichel, and be better defensively.
---- puts on fire Pejorative Slurant suit------

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
We should sell off all 3 and start the rebuild again. Laine is better werenski is better ehlers is better. We screwed up big time :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::shakehead

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
at the end of their career's, I wouldn't be shocked if Marner is more successful than Eichel. So no, I would not change who we picked in the fourth slot.
I know centre is a more difficult position than winger, and I don't think Marner will ever centre a line.
But I think he will drive the offense more than Eichel, and be better defensively.
---- puts on fire Pejorative Slurant suit------
Honestly I don't see what was so great about Eichel to begin with. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, but today I don't see why he had the same hype Connor McDavid was getting. So I agree that one day Marner could end up being better than Eichel.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the leafs at this point gotta go with the pittsburgh model. Team speed and two way players, especially up the middle. Can get away with not having a true number 1 on the back end.

It would be nice if the 2017 pick turned into a real impact player. Kind of the equivalent of Pittsburgh grabbing an extra Jordan Staal prior to launching as a contender in 2006.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly I don't see what was so great about Eichel to begin with. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, but today I don't see why he had the same hype Connor McDavid was getting. So I agree that one day Marner could end up being better than Eichel.

I agree with this. I think Marner needs to mature a lot physically, but with NHL resources I'm sure adding bulk is the easiest possible flaw to overcome. Marner is extremely intelligent and has an uncanny ability to produce.

The conclusion I keep coming back to with regards to Eichel is he has an extremely beautiful set of mechanics to his game. Skating, shot, passing, puck skills are silky smooth and casually explosive and controlled explosiveness, etc. He has the ability to put up a ton of production too, but comes across as a difficult personality who doesn't know how to best utilize his abilities. I think he prefers to outgun his problems. Don't really like him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I agree with this. I think Marner needs to mature a lot physically, but with NHL resources I'm sure adding bulk is the easiest possible flaw to overcome. Marner is extremely intelligent and has an uncanny ability to produce.

The conclusion I keep coming back to with regards to Eichel is he has an extremely beautiful set of mechanics to his game. Skating, shot, passing, puck skills are silky smooth and casually explosive and controlled explosiveness, etc. He has the ability to put up a ton of production too, but comes across as a difficult personality who doesn't know how to best utilize his abilities. I think he prefers to outgun his problems. Don't really like him.

Well, he did outgun his coach and gm. :laugh:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We should sell off all 3 and start the rebuild again. Laine is better werenski is better ehlers is better. We screwed up big time :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::shakehead

We can't have nice things, need to trade them all away while they are hot rookies. :laugh:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

Personally I would love Provorov

nope, but i do put more faith in hunter, in that he had both over chychrun in his rankings. to me that is more significant.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Leafs had Reilly and someone else had Marner would you trade Mo Riells for Mitch?

Provorov & Werenski seem to be > Morgan Rielly at earlier age.
Young defenders development is insanely rocky and up and down compared to comparable young forwards.

Marner and the other two youngsters help create the current identity of this team. I don't get the fascination with some on this board to trade from such a strength to create what many views as a more balanced team. Only 3 of the 8 teams left really have high-end number 1's (St Louis, Nashville, and Ottawa), most of the other teams have a balanced but strong defense's. Pitt is without Letang (who I've always thought is slightly overrated) and built around a quick transition defense. Anaheim has a good d but no true franchise all-around #1. Edmonton doesn't have a true number one, but Klefbom may be one. Carlson and McDonagh are number ones, but not on the elite end. We only really have one gaping hole in our top 4 and our defense is quite young. Just have faith in our drafting, development, and ability to navigate the FA market. I highly doubt anyone in the front office is considering moving Marner for a defender unless it's someone like Doughty. They aren't doing it for another young defender who's development tends to be rocky.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Its a toss up between Marner and werenski for the 3rd best player in this draft. Theres no telling how good either will end up being. Putting homer glasses aside, i think id take Werenski. However we are incredibly lucky to have Marner.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Young defenders development is insanely rocky and up and down compared to comparable young forwards.

Marner and the other two youngsters help create the current identity of this team. I don't get the fascination with some on this board to trade from such a strength to create what many views as a more balanced team. Only 3 of the 8 teams left really have high-end number 1's (St Louis, Nashville, and Ottawa), most of the other teams have a balanced but strong defense's. Pitt is without Letang (who I've always thought is slightly overrated) and built around a quick transition defense. Anaheim has a good d but no true franchise all-around #1. Edmonton doesn't have a true number one, but Klefbom may be one. Carlson and McDonagh are number ones, but not on the elite end. We only really have one gaping hole in our top 4 and our defense is quite young. Just have faith in our drafting, development, and ability to navigate the FA market. I highly doubt anyone in the front office is considering moving Marner for a defender unless it's someone like Doughty. They aren't doing it for another young defender who's development tends to be rocky.

You forgot Anaheim with Lindholm. Letang is a great #2, but because of his shot, it works for PIT. We need much more on D...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You forgot Anaheim with Lindholm. Letang is a great #2, but because of his shot, it works for PIT. We need much more on D...
Lindholm isn't an elite number 1 defender. He simply doesn't have the offensive production. I didn't forget him, I just don't view him as such.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Well put. There is no way I'm trading one of our top three guys for defense.

We are going to be more than fine adding a guy that can play 20 mins of responsible hockey and keeping our offense together than trading one of them for a D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad