Redraft 2015

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Too early to tell. Marner at 19 was better than Joe Thornton at the same age. There are few D in the last 20 years I would trade 19 year old Joe for and Provo and Werenski aren't on that list. Skinner at 18 looked better than Stamkos so it could go south just as easy.

I would say its not unreasonable that a 60pt teenage rookie forward could be a top five scorer for years to come. Knowing how he would turn out, would you trade Pat Kane for Werenski? In two or three years it might be obvious, but I wouldn't want to be the guy that traded Brett Hull because I had Niewendyk in the system.

Not to say that he's Stamkos, but Skinner has been ****ing good when he hasn't been injured.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Marner had over 60 pts playing in the NHL with the body of a 12 yr old girl. Wait till he turns in to a Man and we will look back at these threads and laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not to say that he's Stamkos, but Skinner has been ****ing good when he hasn't been injured.
Yeah, outside of injury Skinner has been a very good player most years. He hasn't ever really played with a high-end playmaker that would help him out either. You give Skinner a guy with high-end vision he's scoring 40 most years.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marner had over 60 pts playing in the NHL with the body of a 12 yr old girl. Wait till he turns in to a Man and we will look back at these threads and laugh.

MM is pretty much the exact same size he was when we drafted him so i doubt he'll he'll get much bigger . Sure he'll fill out a little and gain a little strength as he gets older but i believe he'll always be slightly built guy .

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
MM is pretty much the exact same size he was when we drafted him so i doubt he'll he'll get much bigger . Sure he'll fill out a little and gain a little strength as he gets older but i believe he'll always be slightly built guy .

Yeah but he can always work on getting strenth in his legs like St.Louis

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

Personally I would love Provorov
Yes. D first
Marner is better than Provorov, don't let the hfboards hype fool you.

Werenski would've been nice but we got a great player in Marner. I wouldn't change anything personally.
aged like milk

Provorov ##4 or Werenski at #8 with the potential trade back with CBJ had happened.
nice

Leafs made the right choice. There is absolutely 0 reasons for any regrets. Marner is a superstar type talent. Really happy with the pick.

Mark Hunter knows what he is doing after all:)

aged like milk.

Reactions: hn777

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
If my memory serves me correct we were likely choosing between Marner or Strome with Hanifin as a long shot, I think we made the right choice with Marner. The problem is your paying a 7-7.5 Million Dollar player 11 million.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

Personally I would love Provorov

We don't know how Provo would flourish in this environment and we don't know how Marner will play for a real coach again so probably not for me. 94pts at age 21 is a real win. Now to trade down for two of Boston's 1sts and end up with Chabot and Barzal sure.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
Good time for a bump:
Playoff stats:
Mitch Marner 57 GP, 11 G, 39 A, 50 P
Mikko Rantanen: 75 GP, 32 G, 64 A, 96 P
:pcheer::cheer:

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I'd take Marner and trade him when he demanded 11 million like any half decent GM would have done.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
In hindsight it probably would have been better from a team building Pov to have found a way to pull off that trade back deal with Columbus but still nothing to be upset with that draft, Marner is going to help this team win an awful lot of regular season games
FTFY

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
THANK GOD. A 4.5 year old thread got bumped so we'd have a place for people to finally get a chance to shit on Marner.
7 year old thread.

It’s time to move on from Mitch, not this thread

Good time for a bump:
Playoff stats:
Mitch Marner 57 GP, 11 G, 39 A, 50 P
Mikko Rantanen: 75 GP, 32 G, 64 A, 96 P
:pcheer::cheer:
Yet Rantanen signs first and Marner gets more money.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'd take Marner and trade him when he demanded 11 million like any half decent GM would have done.
I think MLSE was extremely happy with their financials and told Shanny to keep the fun times rolling and keep the core 4 together. Good for business. Not necessarily the best for the team playoff success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad