RD EJ Emery - USNTDP, USHL (2024 Draft)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Feel like ndtp d who aren’t elite offensively get underrated. Guys like miller and Samuelson went at least 20 picks later than they should have. Emery has similar profile where barring injury bust, I think downside is 4/5 guy and upside is probably a 2d. Willander is good comp too. I have him comfortably in my top 20.

It goes both ways. Some of these guys end up overrated, too, a la Brady Cleveland with teams hoping there is something there. A byproduct of having so many of the interesting guys on one team that they don't always get the opportunities they might otherwise.

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It goes both ways. Some of these guys end up overrated, too, a la Brady Cleveland with teams hoping there is something there. A byproduct of having so many of the interesting guys on one team that they don't always get the opportunities they might otherwise.
Exactly.

What teams have to figure out is who is underrated due to lack of TOI or under exposure and who isn’t that good, despite the lack of exposure.

There are always going to be some in both buckets, and I think teams generally are good at understanding that there are probably going to be some USHL players that are putting up much higher totals than some NTDP players or playing a lot more than them, yet aren’t as good.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Cleveland was drafted a round too high because wings had more picks than they knew what to do with. Almost nobody had him ranked where he went. But I agree with your second point, which is what I was getting at, that many of these guys are put in roles that don't yield many points so their offensive upside is underrated.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
My take on EJ Emery. If I were to compare him to past USNTDP defenders, he is a mix of Alex Vlasic and K'andre Miller with less offense than either of them. The lengthiness of Vlasic and the skating of Miller.

He is a big lengthy physical defender that covers a ton of ice. He plays ABC hockey and really good at man on man coverage. He is really good at rub-outs along the boards and getting his stick in passing lanes. His path to success is to get better at his breakout passes and enforce a defensive defenseman style of play. He creates a lot of turnovers because forwards won't realize how much ground Emery takes up. He can keep pace with just about anyone because of his skating ability. He walks the blue line very well and just an all around great skater for his size. He makes life easy on his defensive partner because he is good at getting open for regroup passes that ease the pressure off the puck holder. I can see teams salvating at the idea of getting a defender like this that can takeaway space from creative forwards. He's quite good at creating space with his skating, but lacks the creativity to be dangerous with it. His impressive build is even more impressive when you realize he is not filled out at all. He is really good at using his weight distribution to win battles along the boards. I bet there are some teams that are really high on him because they see a lot of room to grow with already spectacular mechanics to win puck battles.

The concerns with Emery is he dishes out passes that set his teammates up for failure. He's good at finding the open man, but doesn't think a step ahead of that. If he see's a guy that's open at the time, he will make a pass towards them without considering the defenders anticipating the play. This leads to a lot of turnovers and suicide passes after the pass is dished out. In the offensive zone, he has limited ability. His shot is fairly weak and his offensive hockey IQ is below average. This really limits his offensive ceiling as a defenseman and would be the reason he isn't drafted in the 1st round if so. The last concern I have with Emery is his projection of where the opposition is moving towards. Similar to his passing issues, his anticipation can be off. When he uses his speed and lengthiness to cut forwards off, sometimes the speedy forwards will beat him wide and take him out of position. This is the only concern I have for him in the defensive end. Outside of that he is a really solid defender.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My take on EJ Emery. If I were to compare him to past USNTDP defenders, he is a mix of Alex Vlasic and K'andre Miller with less offense than either of them. The lengthiness of Vlasic and the skating of Miller.

He is a big lengthy physical defender that covers a ton of ice. He plays ABC hockey and really good at man on man coverage. He is really good at rub-outs along the boards and getting his stick in passing lanes. His path to success is to get better at his breakout passes and enforce a defensive defenseman style of play. He creates a lot of turnovers because forwards won't realize how much ground Emery takes up. He can keep pace with just about anyone because of his skating ability. He walks the blue line very well and just an all around great skater for his size. He makes life easy on his defensive partner because he is good at getting open for regroup passes that ease the pressure off the puck holder. I can see teams salvating at the idea of getting a defender like this that can takeaway space from creative forwards. He's quite good at creating space with his skating, but lacks the creativity to be dangerous with it. His impressive build is even more impressive when you realize he is not filled out at all. He is really good at using his weight distribution to win battles along the boards. I bet there are some teams that are really high on him because they see a lot of room to grow with already spectacular mechanics to win puck battles.

The concerns with Emery is he dishes out passes that set his teammates up for failure. He's good at finding the open man, but doesn't think a step ahead of that. If he see's a guy that's open at the time, he will make a pass towards them without considering the defenders anticipating the play. This leads to a lot of turnovers and suicide passes after the pass is dished out. In the offensive zone, he has limited ability. His shot is fairly weak and his offensive hockey IQ is below average. This really limits his offensive ceiling as a defends and would be the reason he isn't drafted in the 1st round if so. The last concern I have with Emery is his projection of where the opposition is moving towards. Similar to his passing issues, his anticipation can be off. When he uses his speed and lengthiness to cut forwards off, sometimes the speedy forwards will beat him wide and take him out of position. This is the only concern I have for him in the defensive end. Outside of that he is a really solid defender.
You bring up some good points, but Miller is like 6’4/6’5 and Vlasic is 6’6. Emery is 6’2/6’3.

Reactions: Castle8130

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

The concerns with Emery is he dishes out passes that set his teammates up for failure. He's good at finding the open man, but doesn't think a step ahead of that. If he see's a guy that's open at the time, he will make a pass towards them without considering the defenders anticipating the play. This leads to a lot of turnovers and suicide passes after the pass is dished out. In the offensive zone, he has limited ability. His shot is fairly weak and his offensive hockey IQ is below average. This really limits his offensive ceiling as a defends and would be the reason he isn't drafted in the 1st round if so. The last concern I have with Emery is his projection of where the opposition is moving towards. Similar to his passing issues, his anticipation can be off. When he uses his speed and lengthiness to cut forwards off, sometimes the speedy forwards will beat him wide and take him out of position. This is the only concern I have for him in the defensive end. Outside of that he is a really solid defender.
Great report. I think he has great tools. I think he’ll go between 20-40 range. I personally have him ranked 21.

Reactions: Castle8130

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
As a final impression, I liked Emery's game at the u18s and Hutson-Emery as a pairing. They complemented each other well. Emery was only on the ice for 2 goals against the whole tournament - a broken play against Finland at the end of the 2nd period and a shorthanded goal today against Canada from the far side. Emery makes so many subtle, effective plays with his stick and skating ability. Good gaps. Beast penalty killer. A few plays with the puck from Emery I didn't like, but overall a good showing. I think one thing working against all NTDP defenseman is that until worlds, NTDP roll 8 defenseman and Emery gets no powerplay time. At the u18s they play 3 pairings and you get more involved in the game.

I think the upside is there for Emery to develop into more than a 0 offensively. He was involved and made some plays with the puck throughout the tournament. If that doesn't come to fruition, I think your looking at a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night of sound defensive hockey. An impact similar to what Chris Tanev is doing in Dallas. It doesn’t make the headlines, but it’s important for any team with championship aspirations to have guys like that.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
As a final impression, I liked Emery's game at the u18s and Hutson-Emery as a pairing. They complemented each other well. Emery was only on the ice for 2 goals against the whole tournament - a broken play against Finland at the end of the 2nd period and a shorthanded goal today against Canada from the far side. Emery makes so many subtle, effective plays with his stick and skating ability. Good gaps. Beast penalty killer. A few plays with the puck from Emery I didn't like, but overall a good showing. I think one thing working against all NTDP defenseman is that until worlds, NTDP roll 8 defenseman and Emery gets no powerplay time. At the u18s they play 3 pairings and you get more involved in the game.

I think the upside is there for Emery to develop into more than a 0 offensively. He was involved and made some plays with the puck throughout the tournament. If that doesn't come to fruition, I think your looking at a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night of sound defensive hockey. An impact similar to what Chris Tanev is doing in Dallas. It doesn’t make the headlines, but it’s important for any team with championship aspirations to have guys like that.

He has the potential/ceiling of a top 4 Dman but not sure if he will reach it

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Emery was one of the best draft eligibles at the U18 in my opinion. He makes really good decisions on defense and has fantastic size and skating. I like him more than Charlie Elick, who is a similar type of player. Elick is more physical, but Emery is more comfortable with the puck and is smarter defensively.

I’d happily take him if he were available at 33rd, but I’m sure he’ll go somewhere in the 20’s now. Like others have said, he doesn’t have the highest potential due to mediocre puck skills, but I can see good middle pairing guy and there’s a really easy path to him becoming at least a bottom pairing defenseman. Defensively-minded swift-skating 6’3” RHDs, even bottom-pairing caliber ones, are in extremely high demand.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had a good tournament. His defense has improved a lot this year. Last year he was at fault for so many goals. Almost every time you'd look to see which defensemen were on the ice for a goal he was on the ice. This year he's started defending a lot better.

The questions will be about the offense and then how much of a true physical presence he is. I don't think he's bad with the puck, but he might not have offensive instincts. He skates well and his hands are okay, but he's not even trying to make anything resembling a risky play with the puck. Can he be taught to be more aggressive? The other thing is he's listed at 176 pounds. Can he put on 30 pounds? You hope so. He's actually very thin for a defensive defenseman. Needs to get a lot stronger.

Reminds me a lot of Mattias Samuelsson
I don't see it. They aren't that similar. Smauelsson is like two inches taller, 40-50 pounds heavier, and a lot more of a physical presence. They don't shoot the same hand either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabrules

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He had a good tournament. His defense has improved a lot this year. Last year he was at fault for so many goals. Almost every time you'd look to see which defensemen were on the ice for a goal he was on the ice. This year he's started defending a lot better.

The questions will be about the offense and then how much of a true physical presence he is. I don't think he's bad with the puck, but he might not have offensive instincts. He skates well and his hands are okay, but he's not even trying to make anything resembling a risky play with the puck. Can he be taught to be more aggressive? The other thing is he's listed at 176 pounds. Can he put on 30 pounds? You hope so. He's actually very thin for a defensive defenseman. Needs to get a lot stronger.

I don't see it. They aren't that similar. Smauelsson is like two inches taller, 40-50 pounds heavier, and a lot more of a physical presence. They don't shoot the same hand either.
I think that can be spun as a positive. He's already good simply using his reach, stick, and skating. How good can he be once he adds the strength?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really liking Emery. I think he'll go earlier than I would like for the Sens with the Bruins 1st.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that can be spun as a positive. He's already good simply using his reach, stick, and skating. How good can he be once he adds the strength?
Yeah, I just found it interesting. Most defensive defenseman prospects are already physically developed. He's getting by without true strength from developing that in a gym. Usually the very skinny guys are the skilled forwards.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Born in Surrey, BC, but has dual citizenship. American parent?

Interesting that he went NTDP having played with Burnaby WC and Yale Academy. Maybe he considers himself American, or prefers the NTDP-NCAA development path.
His dad is from Compton California and played in the CFL where he met EJ's mom. EJ grew up in Surrey and I guess identifies himself more with the States and/or wanted to go NCAA and saw the NTDP as a developmental advantage that he could take.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
His dad is from Compton California and played in the CFL where he met EJ's mom. EJ grew up in Surrey and I guess identifies himself more with the States and/or wanted to go NCAA and saw the NTDP as a developmental advantage that he could take.
Straight outta ... Surrey?

The Samuelsson comparison seems sound. Hopefully he won't have Sammy's injury problems.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The other thing is he's listed at 176 pounds.
Was looking at the 2022-23 roster that oddly says it’s the 2023-24 roster. He’s listed now at 185, which is still thin but 9 pounds heavier.

He’s a Canucks fan.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Was looking at the 2022-23 roster that oddly says it’s the 2023-24 roster. He’s listed now at 185, which is still thin but 9 pounds heavier.

He’s a Canucks fan.
He went on Kings of the Podcast (Hoven & Bernstein's Kings pod) and said he grew up cheering for the Canucks primarily and Kings secondarily since he still has a ton of family in Southern California.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I read today that he didn’t have a goal all year. He’s a defensive defensemen anyway and all that, but that’s pretty tough for junior hockey in 61 games.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I read today that he didn’t have a goal all year. He’s a defensive defensemen anyway and all that, but that’s pretty tough for junior hockey in 61 games.
He scored a goal in the prospects game. ;)

I get your just pointing this out, but it doesn't matter or make a difference in his projection. He got 0 powerplay time and wasn't paired with Hutson until the end of the year. Chris Tanev doesn't have a goal in the playoffs and I'm sure the Dallas Stars are more than happy with him eating MacKinnon's lunch.

He's not going to be a 1, but the teams that win in the playoffs have guys like Emery.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad