Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wondering if Quinn Hughes' head-to-head match-up with Cale Makar Wednesday night at the Rog might influence Norris Trophy voters?

Hughes leads Makar by six points in d-men scoring, although Makar has four more goals. But if the Canucks win, they'd pull eight points ahead of the Av's in the Western Conference standings.

Normally the highest scoring d-man on the better team, has the inside track for the Norris. But I guess we will soon see.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Wondering if Quinn Hughes' head-to-head match-up with Cale Makar Wednesday night at the Rog might influence Norris Trophy voters?

Hughes leads Makar by six points in d-men scoring, although Makar has four more goals. But if the Canucks win, they'd pull eight points ahead of the Av's in the Western Conference standings.

Normally the highest scoring d-man on the better team, has the inside track for the Norris. But I guess we will soon see.
Makar is now within 3 points of Hughes.

They gave him a questionable assist on Lehkonen's OT goal just now.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Makar is now within 3 points of Hughes.

They gave him a questionable assist on Lehkonen's OT goal just now.

Why was Makar's assist questionable?

Passed the puck up to Mackinnon, lost control of the puck to the corner, spun around and passed it to the front to Lehkonen for the goal.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Why was Makar's assist questionable?

Passed the puck up to Mackinnon, lost control of the puck to the corner, spun around and passed it to the front to Lehkonen for the goal.
That part.

Could be argued that MacKinnon lost possession and then regained it, making him the only assist.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Greatest player we've ever drafted.

Yes, he's better than Bure.

What an tremendous draft pick Hughes has turned out to be. He exemplifies what it means to draft for upside.

I remember the talk at that time was between him Dobson and Bouchard. Dobson has been great, but Hughes has been that much greater still. What a player. By the end of it, I think he will go down as the greatest Canuck of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’d be somewhat shocked if he doesn’t win.
I mean a complete collapse in the final 13 games could happen, but yeah that would be pretty weird if it did

-Underlying numbers are best amongst all defense
-Even strength scoring is best
-All strengths scoring is the best
-Team success
-Goals
-Plus minus

He literally has the complete resume
The only thing against him is east coast bias or ignorance and He doesn’t have the PK total minutes, but Makar won the Norris averaging the 13th most PK minutes on the avs, so that shouldn’t be held against him if history is shows.

Last edited:

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
This is Hughes' basic RAPM analytics for this season according to evolving-hockey.

Combine that with his stats, on-ice play, solid leadership as captain, and you got one of the best players this franchise has seen, and definitely what should be the favourite for Norris this year.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 6

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Four point lead for Hughes and both have 13 games remaining.

Makar has four more goals, however.

I think if Hughes outscores Makar, he takes the Norris.

If Makar outscores Hughes, it becomes murky, but I still think he has a shot.

By the eye test, Hughes has been better. But Makar has a stronger reputation which could play a big factor.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Four point lead for Hughes and both have 13 games remaining.

Makar has four more goals, however.

I think if Hughes outscores Makar, he takes the Norris.

If Makar outscores Hughes, it becomes murky, but I still think he has a shot.

By the eye test, Hughes has been better. But Makar has a stronger reputation which could play a big factor.
If it's close, like Makar is up by 1 or 2 points or its tied, I think it goes to Hughes simply because every other metric favours him, including every defensive one. There's enough time for one to build a lead on eachother though, given how they can produce.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If it's close, like Makar is up by 1 or 2 points or its tied, I think it goes to Hughes simply because every other metric favours him, including every defensive one. There's enough time for one to build a lead on eachother though, given how they can produce.
On top of that, I think it would be strange to give MacKinnon the Hart and Art Ross and then turn around and also give Makar the Norris.

Avs are making a hell of a run for #1 in the league though so if they do that, maybe the voters reward them?

MunKay

Jul 13, 2022
Vancouver, BC
This kid isn't getting over $7M, I don't care how many years. Drew Doughty signed for $7 million before he won 2 Stanley Cups and 2014 Gold Medal. I mean, Doughty already played on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team when he signed the $7M.

Hughes will never be a Doughty or a Makar. I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone actually ends up being a better player because Jack is less soft and weaker than Quinn.

Make this kid earn his money, he's out there padding his stats on #1PP. I rather see Rathbone on #1 PP and hopefully we find a #1 defenceman that can play good defence in Hughes.

Less twirling and more checking.
:laugh:

Reactions: ginner classic

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
His lack of PK time, especially relative to Makar, will likely lose him a lot of Norris votes.
Hughes plays way more time at EV though. Who the f*** wants Makar or Hughes to waste there time playing on PK when they tilt the ice so heavily at even strength. It's just a weird decision from Colorado.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hughes plays way more time at EV though. Who the f*** wants Makar or Hughes to waste there time playing on PK when they tilt the ice so heavily at even strength. It's just a weird decision from Colorado.

The general hockey refrain has been to value, maybe even overvalue, all-situations play. Even if the player makes up the time difference at ES.

Makar's PK time will be a factor in the voting imo.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the last few games have been a perfect rejoinder to the contingent who think miller is our mvp, not hughes.

all year practically every time miller and boeser have been on the ice at ES hughes has been on with them, but in the last few games tocchet has been spreading hughes around. and voila, three straight quiet games at ES by jtm, and by his own admission jtm not playing great, and petey is back and almost to form, with five pts in the last three games.

statistical proof: hughes on the ice for both hog goals last night of course. but we can all see the effect with our own eyes too.

not to say that jtm hasn’t been great this year but the engine is hughes and the season-long jtm vs petey comps really have tended to overlook overlapping TOI with the top pair, imo.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
the last few games have been a perfect rejoinder to the contingent who think miller is our mvp, not hughes.

all year practically every time miller and boeser have been on the ice at ES hughes has been on with them, but in the last few games tocchet has been spreading hughes around. and voila, three straight quiet games at ES by jtm, and by his own admission jtm not playing great, and petey is back and almost to form, with five pts in the last three games.

statistical proof: hughes on the ice for both hog goals last night of course. but we can all see the effect with our own eyes too.

not to say that jtm hasn’t been great this year but the engine is hughes and the season-long jtm vs petey comps really have tended to overlook overlapping TOI with the top pair, imo.

Not to understate Miller, but IMO he benefits from the typical "looks the part" bump. Miller plays and leads "the right way," while Hughes is a smaller player who is effective via somewhat untraditional means for his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad