Salary Cap: Qualifying Offers (deadline July 11 @ 5 PM EST)

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Awh. I liked NAK, he'll be missed.
I would be surprised if he didn't sign for the same or close to it , he cleared waivers once in 2019 when nobody wanted him and we grabbed him off the waiver wire in Nov 2021 after most of the league passed him up so I doubt he is under any delusions of grandeur when it comes to his career.
Offer him $1.25M for 2 or 3 years and make it a 1 way deal so he doesn't get clobbered if he has to go down for a while .

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
First yes let him go UFA just like we did with DK , we can't afford to pay him 4+ million and can't walk away from an award under 4.5 thats what I'm talking about .
Second my handle has nothing to do with the Canucks , maybe learn some reading comprehension . Would you rather have money for Bura , Nuke and maybe even Kadri or give Lehky the bag ? I take math isn't one of your strong points either .
Do you know how Arbitration works ? Make him a solid offer that we can afford and if he wants to make an extra million playing for a losing team he can go fill his boots , playing for a little less is the price of being a multi-cup champion , he either wants more cups or he doesn't and if he doesn't than we don't want or need him . This year's FA pool is going to be deep and wide , there will be dozen's of middle six guys who still want their ring that are willing to play for close to league minimum to get it , that's salary cap hockey .
Logic isn't your strong suit, bud. You want to let an RFA who was a legit difference maker in the playoffs go to UFA so the Avs can *maybe* retain their other UFAs, who are free to sign anywhere they want. You want to NOT qualify him today with no guarantee or already signed deal with any of those UFAs? It is comical that you tried to call out someone else for math skills or how to manage a team. They are not walking away from Lehkonen. Full stop. So your entire argument is video game hockey lunacy.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
First yes let him go UFA just like we did with DK , we can't afford to pay him 4+ million and can't walk away from an award under 4.5 thats what I'm talking about .
Second my handle has nothing to do with the Canucks , maybe learn some reading comprehension . Would you rather have money for Bura , Nuke and maybe even Kadri or give Lehky the bag ? I take math isn't one of your strong points either .
Do you know how Arbitration works ? Make him a solid offer that we can afford and if he wants to make an extra million playing for a losing team he can go fill his boots , playing for a little less is the price of being a multi-cup champion , he either wants more cups or he doesn't and if he doesn't than we don't want or need him . This year's FA pool is going to be deep and wide , there will be dozen's of middle six guys who still want their ring that are willing to play for close to league minimum to get it , that's salary cap hockey .

Colorado has $20.1M in cap space with 15 skaters and 2 goalies signed already. They can absolutely afford to give Lehkonen ($2.3M QO) a longer term deal with a $4M AAV.

Arbitration isn't until the middle of August. Why in the name of all things holy would Colorado voluntarily surrender the rights of a 27-year-old they just paid up the nose for, and who was amazing in the playoffs? Oh yeah, they wouldn't. :doh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Are you thinking of the right guy? Lehkonen. Number 62. Scored the cup winning goal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yes you did you just don't have any response to an actual fact based statement . I never said he didn't have any value , I said we can't afford to pay what his arbitration award will be so don't let him go to arbitration , reading comprehension is a fundamental life skill , maybe you should be the one to log off ? you can go work on you GED instead eh !

You are having a bad day, mate.

Everybody is laughing at you.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Logic isn't your strong suit, bud. You want to let an RFA who was a legit difference maker in the playoffs go to UFA so the Avs can *maybe* retain their other UFAs, who are free to sign anywhere they want. You want to NOT qualify him today with no guarantee or already signed deal with any of those UFAs? It is comical that you tried to call out someone else for math skills or how to manage a team. They are not walking away from Lehkonen. Full stop. So your entire argument is video game hockey lunacy.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Are you thinking of the right guy? Lehkonen. Number 62. Scored the cup winning goal.
Surprising this nonsense started with a different poster than the one who said signing Manson is more important than signing Lehkonen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a player was not qualified and then re-upped with the same team for a more manageable number, but I'm guessing this is it for NAK. I'm sure he's happy with his brief stint in Colorado, especially since he started the year on a miserable Philly team that waived him. Now he's a Cup champ and he'll have fond memories of damaging the hallowed trophy faster than any winner has in its history.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is all about arbitration... NAK could have gotten a raise that the Avs we're unlikely to afford. I'd guess Avs gave him an offer (probably at or below QO) but stated they can't qualify him due to the risk. NAK not signing and Avs still trying to figure out the budget makes this a pretty easy non-qualify.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wish we were able to bring NAK back for around $1 mil, but I can see a few teams with shallow depth giving NAK a decent payday (i.e. Detroit).

If we were able to get Georgiev at $3 mil instead of $3.4 mil that would've been enough wiggle room to bring NAK back, but didn't happen that way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wish we were able to bring NAK back for around $1 mil, but I can see a few teams with shallow depth giving NAK a decent payday (i.e. Detroit).

If we were able to get Georgiev at $3 mil instead of $3.4 mil that would've been enough wiggle room to bring NAK back, but didn't happen that way.
Until Nuke is re-signed, we really don't know the wiggle room. I doubt the Avs go above $6m for him, but if he goes, the Avs have to work on 2nd line replacements that could also get expensive.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006

Sometimes these decisions are also about presenting opportunities and competition for the bottom 6 roles. The Avs still have players like Ranta, Kaut, Bowers, etc. looking to crack the lineup. I often forget that just even though those names have been around a while they are all still quite young. The Eagles had a good run and there is a benefit to going into camp with some slots open for whoever stands out.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Sometimes these decisions are also about presenting opportunities and competition for the bottom 6 roles. The Avs still have players like Ranta, Kaut, Bowers, etc. looking to crack the lineup. I often forget that just even though those names have been around a while they are all still quite young. The Eagles had a good run and there is a benefit to going into camp with some slots open for whoever stands out.
There isn't a need to present an opportunity when you're trying to defend the cup, especially when not one player on the Eagles have shown they deserve a spot carved out for them. If NAK was willing to sign for $1 mil i'd rather have a player that I know fits in the bottom 6 for an extra $100k than a big question mark.

Until Nuke is re-signed, we really don't know the wiggle room. I doubt the Avs go above $6m for him, but if he goes, the Avs have to work on 2nd line replacements that could also get expensive.
IMO a NAK replacement costs at least 900k (and will probably be worse), so if we could've got him in under $1.2 mil and Georgiev at $3 mil it would've been doable.

Reactions: Richard88

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There isn't a need to present an opportunity when you're trying to defend the cup, especially when not one player on the Eagles have shown they deserve a spot carved out for them. If NAK was willing to sign for $1 mil i'd rather have a player that I know fits in the bottom 6 for an extra $100k than a big question mark.

IMO a NAK replacement costs at least 900k (and will probably be worse), so if we could've got him in under $1.2 mil and Georgiev at $3 mil it would've been doable.

Those players do have some upside though. Especially Kaut. I'll be a Kaut homer till the day he leaves the NHL.

Reactions: ljb4

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
What makes you think NAK was going to take a half a million dollar pay cut? The majority of RFAs either accept their QO or look for a raise or multi-year extension or both. They deemed he wasn't worth the QO.

Bonzo19

Nov 3, 2011
Sorry for the stupid question but has Lehky been qualified? I'll assume yes, but I have not read that he has been.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What makes you think NAK was going to take a half a million dollar pay cut? The majority of RFAs either accept their QO or look for a raise or multi-year extension or both. They deemed he wasn't worth the QO.
I never said he would've, I said if he was willing, As for the context, I was responding purely to your post about creating opportunity for prospects. This move wasn't about creating opportunity, it was purely a cap move.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Maybe the org wants to do that now? Hard to do a mid-season change when things are working fine but offseason makes sense to give opportunities to young talent in low leverage roles such as 4th line or 13th forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad